"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #431
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh dear, yes, why? Get that baby boy fixed!
Teddy is a pure bred. Spike has allowed him to breed with another female pure bred on two different occasions. Spike is also disabled due to eight heart attacks. So he is on SSI and has a very small income. The money he gets from allowing Teddy to breed has been a tremendous help to him.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #432
Proud American

Azia farts loudly in her sleep and then she wakes up from it. She then tries to run away from it! It is very funny!

Does anyone's dog do this?

Your friend,
~Cat

Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #433
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Azia farts loudly in her sleep and then she wakes up from it. She then tries to run away from it! It is very funny!

Does anyone's dog do this?

Your friend,
~Cat
Beagle is very dignified, and would never fart, I think it would really confuse her. None of my dogs have been gaseous. We feed Beagle Iams Lamb and Rice, and she doesn't get table scraps. All dogs' systems are probably different, kind of like people! Some are farters, some are not!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #434
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have met dogs who fart when in the company of some people. There was an Old English Shepherd who only farted when he sat next to me. I had a Siberian husky who would sit next to the receptionist at a medical clinic and fart amazing stinkers. We never noticed her fart at any other time. If there was a different receptionist at the clinic, Sasha wouldn't bother farting.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #435
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Teddy is a pure bred. Spike has allowed him to breed with another female pure bred on two different occasions. Spike is also disabled due to eight heart attacks. So he is on SSI and has a very small income. The money he gets from allowing Teddy to breed has been a tremendous help to him.
I can appreciate that Spike is on SSI and has a limited income. However, breeding dogs is a serious undertaking. Responsible breeders (both those who own the stud and the bitch) are prepared to take back their dogs at any time. This could be problematic for someone on a limited income. Many of the dogs that end up in rescue come from people who breed casually without regards to the lifelong commitment to the dogs for which they are ultimately responsible. Statistically, very few puppies live out their lives with the families that purchase them. Many of these dogs end up in breed rescue or animal shelters. Rescue groups are there to help stray dogs. It is very annoying to take in dogs when the breeder will not take the dogs back (no room, quit breeding, are two of the most common excuses breeders make not to take their dogs back). If one breeds, one should also include a first-right refusal clause in the contract that stipulates the breeder will take the dog back and rehome it should circumstances change. Breeding dogs for profit is not the right reason to breed dogs.

Dog Tip: How Responsible Breeders Differ from Backyard Breeders and Pet Shops

When I was involved with Saint Bernard rescue, the majority of the dogs came for "casual' breeders, breeders who did not stand behind their pups and did not take them back or even assist rescue organizations with the costs associated with rehoming the dog. I understand the desire to make money off one's dog, however, breeding puppies is not the road to take. I would neuter Teddy and figure out another way to make money.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #436
Chef Extraordinaire

Teddy has been mated with two small females that live in the same town. One of the females had only one pup and the other two. All are now registered with AKC and have a chip in them. Teddy is never outside without Spike. The only time you see Teddy without Spike is when Spike has to leave him at home if he goes in town. Spike is very much a responsible dog owner. And he knows both women who own the bitches. One lives just a couple of doors away from him. And the other was recommended by this neighbor. So he has been choosey who he has allowed Teddy to mate with. The neighbor's bitch is the one who had the only one pup. She didn't sell it, but gave it as a gift to her son and his new bride. They always played with her dog anytime they came over and often said that when they could afford it, they wanted a Maltese also. But they wanted to wait until they could afford it. Grant you Spike didn't charge the fee he paid for Teddy, nor was it enough to pay for him to be neutered. Teddy is three years old now. Not as aggressive as when he was a puppy. For the second dog, he was offered his pick of the litter. He turned it down. That woman sold her two pups for even less than Spike charged for the mating fee. So she certainly didn't make a profit either. Believe me, no money was really made by anyone here. All pups had their shots before the ownership was transferred and they were registered with the AKC. Also Spike gave the neighbor a certificate to have the puppy that was a gift spayed (it was a female). She gave to her son. They used it combined with the money they were saving up for a puppy, to have it spayed.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #437
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
But, most of those responsibilities go with the owner of the bitch, the people who are selling the puppies.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #438
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So, Addie, if Spike made no money breeding him, and if there were so few puppies, it would probably make sense if he got Teddy neutered. The Humane Society has some good deals.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #439
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So, Addie, if Spike made no money breeding him, and if there were so few puppies, it would probably make sense if he got Teddy neutered. The Humane Society has some good deals.
He has one of those certificates to pay for part of the cost. But it is still out of reach for him. He has looked into it on more than one occasion. I would gladly help with the expense if I could afford it. When he got Teddy, he was also receiving the income from his wife. She died when Teddy was still just a baby and too young for the surgery.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #440
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But, most of those responsibilities go with the owner of the bitch, the people who are selling the puppies.
True, however, the stud owner also has a responsibility if the owner of the bitch does not stand behind the pups sold. Just because the dogs are eligible to be registered with the AKC does not necessarily mean that the parents should be bred or producing puppies. Responsible breeders are involved with the breed, know the breed, make sure health checks/screening are done and carefully screen and select the stud/bitch with which the dog is mated to improve the lines of the breeder's kennel, maintain the temperament of the breed, and hopefully produce offspring that is reflective of the breed's type, temperament, and is a good specimen of the breed. Most puppies that are sold are sold as pet quality. The understanding in the breeder community is that pet quality puppies should not be used for breeding.