"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #451
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You'll be able to find him in the dark...
Oh that is funny! Poor Shreddy, he might have to be used for a flashlight for a time.
But not more than 30 minutes each day.

I hope I'm not rude of this.

With love,
~Cat

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #452
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Then we are both rude... Taxy and Shreddy both need their spirits lifted and laughter is the best form of healing. You have a good heart, Cat and it shows.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #453
Proud American

Oh I thank you! I just pray for taxlady and Shreddy.

If I am not mistaken, however, the local fire departments here have what is called a "HazMat" team. This means there is a group of people within the fire department which takes care of these hazardous materials. I am sure radioactive materials could perhaps fall under this. Taxlady could call her fire department to speak to them of such waste perhaps?

It does not seem to be prudent to flush these radioactive elements into the sewer system.

I think this could be a good source of how to evacuate radioactive elements.

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #454
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Then we are both rude... Taxy and Shreddy both need their spirits lifted and laughter is the best form of healing. You have a good heart, Cat and it shows.
No one is being rude. I am enjoying the humour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh I thank you! I just pray for taxlady and Shreddy.

If I am not mistaken, however, the local fire departments here have what is called a "HazMat" team. This means there is a group of people within the fire department which takes care of these hazardous materials. I am sure radioactive materials could perhaps fall under this. Taxlady could call her fire department to speak to them of such waste perhaps?

It does not seem to be prudent to flush these radioactive elements into the sewer system.

I think this could be a good source of how to evacuate radioactive elements.

With love,
~Cat
Iodine 131 has a half life of about 8 days. It won't be very radioactive to start with and the radioactivity declines quickly. There aren't many vets who do the radioactive iodine treatment, because they have to be licensed by the government to handle radioactive isotopes. I'm pretty sure that flushing it is the recommended method of getting rid of the poop and pee.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #455
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Iodine 131 has a half life of about 8 days. It won't be very radioactive to start with and the radioactivity declines quickly. There aren't many vets who do the radioactive iodine treatment, because they have to be licensed by the government to handle radioactive isotopes. I'm pretty sure that flushing it is the recommended method of getting rid of the poop and pee.
Hope Shreddy doesn't mind the different litter, some cats resent a change.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #456
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It works for people who are getting radiation treatments. We use Standard Contact Precautions with our patients.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #457
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

It just occurred to me to do a search

Found this: Iodine

Quote:
A treated cat will excrete low levels of radioactive iodine in its urine for several weeks. Wear disposable plastic gloves when changing the litter and disposable plastic litter pan liners to minimize handling the litter. Change the litter daily and try to prevent tracking of litter away from the box. Place all contents in a plastic bag and keep it out of the normal trash (store outside your home) for 3 weeks, and then you can dispose of it with your regular trash.
This method would keep it out of the water system. That may not be an issue for you, and as you said, it decays quickly. We have a well and we water the garden and herbs from it, so if it were me, I would feel better not putting it in the water system. That's probably not rational, but sometimes I'm that way
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #458
Proud American

Oh I see!

I am just nervous of radioactive things. I heard terrible things of this about Chernobyl in Ukraine. That is next to Romania and people were very frightened.

I do not want anyone to become ill of this.

I will be looking to the NASA website when this happens, taxlady. The satellites take photos of the earth all the time, and if I see a glowing mushroom cloud somewhere near Montreal, I will know where you live.

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #459
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh I see!

I am just nervous of radioactive things. I heard terrible things of this about Chernobyl in Ukraine. That is next to Romania and people were very frightened.

I do not want anyone to become ill of this.

I will be looking to the NASA website when this happens, taxlady. The satellites take photos of the earth all the time, and if I see a glowing mushroom cloud somewhere near Montreal, I will know where you live.

With love,
~Cat
Old 10-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #460
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hope Shreddy doesn't mind the different litter, some cats resent a change.
I've changed his type of litter and he doesn't seem to care. I've used the corn husk granules and the crystal stuff and he just used it. I don't anticipate a problem with the flushable, clumping stuff.