"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #661
Chef Extraordinaire

Dawg, I worked for three years for a pharmaceutical company that also makes medicine for animals. Mostly farm animals. They were building a beautiful new building nearby to the building I worked in. One year PETA was holding their conference in Boston. A memo went to all employees letting us know about this and warning us to keep a low profile. The new building had a beautiful new cafeteria. Walking to the new building to eat there, you had to pass the building where the experiments were conducted and the new medicines were developed. It looks like a rundown building that belongs in the dregs of Detroit. All the windows have bars over them, and what windows were on the ground floor were boarded up. No sign on the building at all. It was one day while walking to the new building that I found out what that building was. I could never walk by the building again without thinking of what might be inside. After I while, I stopped going to the new cafeteria. I just couldn't walk by the building again without wanting to scream at the top of my lungs at what I thought might be going on inside.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #662
Master Chef

Princess, latte sure is a pretty kitty. Taxy, glad to hear Shreddy is doing better...what a cute story about the squirrels.

Dawgluver, that's awesome that you support such a worthy cause. Boo is beautiful and looks like she's loving her new life. Addie....OMGosh, that brought chills up and down my spine. :-(

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #663
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How's your kitty doing today CG?.
Eating small meals and keeping it down. Well, except for the one time I put more in her bowl to see how it would go. Um, that runner I have on the plant bench is down the basement drying off right now...

She doesn't seem hungry. She eats when I put the food down, but hasn't been sitting in front of the empty bowl shooting me the evil eye like she does if I don't keep the bowl full when she's eating normally. Guess just like people, kitties know not to eat if they have tummy trouble. Otherwise, it's hard to tell anything is wrong!

PF, that is one pretty kitty. Lost track though - is that Latte or Smudge? And...where is a picture of the other cat? Gotta treat them equally, you know.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #664
Master Chef

I apologize....Cooking Goddess, I meant to ask about YOUR kitty and send hopes that she is better soon....and that taxlady's story of the squirrels was a cute one. My mind was racing with pets at the time and got ahead of me. I'm sorry.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #665
Master Chef

No need to apologize Cheryl! Consider my reply to taxy as a reply to you too - since nothing has changed. No barfing = very good news.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #666
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Eating small meals and keeping it down. Well, except for the one time I put more in her bowl to see how it would go. Um, that runner I have on the plant bench is down the basement drying off right now...

She doesn't seem hungry. She eats when I put the food down, but hasn't been sitting in front of the empty bowl shooting me the evil eye like she does if I don't keep the bowl full when she's eating normally. Guess just like people, kitties know not to eat if they have tummy trouble. Otherwise, it's hard to tell anything is wrong!

PF, that is one pretty kitty. Lost track though - is that Latte or Smudge? And...where is a picture of the other cat? Gotta treat them equally, you know.
Glad to see your kitty is doing better, CG!!

Latté is the kitty in the pics.

Here is Smudge, I'm lucky to get one pic before she goes and hides.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #667
Chef Extraordinaire

FDA seeks pet owner help on dangerous jerky treats | US National Headlines | Comcast

Pet jerky seems to be the cause. Pets are dying and they are trying to trace the origin of the problem. Just thought you pet owners would want to know.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #668
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It has now been two weeks since Shreddy's radioactivity readings were at 6 microSieverts/hour. That means I can snuggle him as much as I want.

And, I no longer have to treat his (non-glowing) pee and poop as radioactive waste. All that stuff goes into the special garbage bag that will sit in the yard for three months and then into the regular garbage.

He also seems to be feeling better today. He's been running around and even went into Stirling's office to get Stirling snuggles.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #669
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
FDA seeks pet owner help on dangerous jerky treats | US National Headlines | Comcast

Pet jerky seems to be the cause. Pets are dying and they are trying to trace the origin of the problem. Just thought you pet owners would want to know.
I saw that as well. How awful. They seem to think it's products from China. I had a recent experience with a stuffed bone that I got at Petco. We had two dogs with fire hose poop for about three days. I usually buy our food and treats from a family owned pet store that does not carry anything made in China. Only products from USA, Australia and Canada. Lesson learned.

From what I understand the FDA does not require that animal treats be label with the country of origin on it's packaging. So unless it's clearly marked, I'd dump any treats still on hand and restock.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #670
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It has now been two weeks since Shreddy's radioactivity readings were at 6 microSieverts/hour. That means I can snuggle him as much as I want.

And, I no longer have to treat his (non-glowing) pee and poop as radioactive waste. All that stuff goes into the special garbage bag that will sit in the yard for three months and then into the regular garbage.

He also seems to be feeling better today. He's been running around and even went into Stirling's office to get Stirling snuggles.
Another happy household that is ruled by a cat! Glad to hear the good news. No mushroom cloud for Cat.