"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #691
Senior Cook

15 years ago...my best friend Brett lived next to a drug dealer. In the drug dealer's backyard were two young kittens that were being neglected. This bugged my friend so much, that one day he decided to jump the fence and rescue them...even though he knew drug dealers own guns...and aren't afraid to use them.

While he was trying to round them up, the drug dealer came out and asked what he was doing....and my friend ...with ultimate confidence said "I'm taking your cats"...the drug dealer shrugged and went back inside. and so Anabel and Penelope became a part of my friends family.

Penelope...the laziest cat ever... who sleeps 22 of 24 hours...recently knew the end was near. She climbed over an 8 foot tall privacy fence...and hasn't been seen since.

Rest in peace Penelope...my good and faithful friend. I will miss you sleeping on my legs when I pass out at Brett's house.

Good kitty....very good kitty.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #692
Executive Chef

For some dumb reason, my 13 year old Maltese has decided to dump the bathroom waste basket and rummage through it during the night. Three times this week I had to clean up the mess in the morning. Yesterday, we heard him doing it in the middle of the day and went in and stopped him. I am mostly concerned about Q-tips that are in there. So now I have started to empty that wastebasket every night before I go to bed. Maybe if he never finds anything in there he will get out of the habit. I just hope he doesn't start with the kitchen wastebasket!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #693
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What a PITA CarolPa. Are you concerned about him eating cotton swabs?

Shreddy tips over the kitchen garbage once in a blue moon. Sometimes he has a look to see if there is something interesting as he walks by it.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #694
Executive Chef

I'm concerned about him trying to eat anything he finds in there, but especially trying to eat a Q-tip that would get caught in his throat. Years back we had a Peekapoo who use to pull over the kitchen wastebasket and rummage through it. One time, after I changed the liner, I put her in it. That waste basket was shaking and rattling with her trying to get out. I only left her in it for a few seconds, but she never touched it again.

A friend had a little Yorkie who got into the kitchen garbage and died from what she ingested.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #695
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had read somewhere that sprinkling hot sauce would keep a dog from snacking out of the garbage. It didn't work for my black cocker, I soon found out that she LOVED hot sauce!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #696
Head Chef

Quote about animals

Here is one of my favorite quotes about animals:

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion.

We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man.

In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.

They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

― Henry Beston, The Outermost House: A Year of Life On The Great Beach of Cape Cod

(Sorry to get all soppy. Maybe it's the Christmas season.)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #697
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't know...I consider the cats as higher beings and we are THEIR slaves and they allow us into their lives.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #698
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I don't know...I consider the cats as higher beings and we are THEIR slaves and they allow us into their lives.
I think that is true about any pet we have. Last night someone was at my door. Teddy at the moment chose for me to play with him. Teddy won. Spike went to the door. I can never say no to him. I am his slave!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #699
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I had read somewhere that sprinkling hot sauce would keep a dog from snacking out of the garbage. It didn't work for my black cocker, I soon found out that she LOVED hot sauce!
Hmm, I would have to buy some hot sauce, because we don't even like it!! We were gone for 8 hours yesterday and he never touched the waste basket the whole time. I am still emptying it at bedtime. Another thing I could do is set it up on the toilet seat overnight so he couldn't reach it. I really don't know what the attraction is. If there was food in there I could understand. It might be that my scent in on those Kleenex that are in there because he also likes to lick the inside of my shoes when I first take them off. He is a weird dog! LOL
Old 12-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #700
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Hmm, I would have to buy some hot sauce, because we don't even like it!! We were gone for 8 hours yesterday and he never touched the waste basket the whole time. I am still emptying it at bedtime. Another thing I could do is set it up on the toilet seat overnight so he couldn't reach it. I really don't know what the attraction is. If there was food in there I could understand. It might be that my scent in on those Kleenex that are in there because he also likes to lick the inside of my shoes when I first take them off. He is a weird dog! LOL
There is no explaining some of the things our pets like to do. Like why do small dogs like to walk on their front legs when peeing?