"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #701
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Latté puts her whole head in my shoes (just after I take them off) and fights them with her back legs, she also steals socks that I take off. I guess she's the only one who appreciates my hot stinky feet.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #702
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Latté puts her whole head in my shoes (just after I take them off) and fights them with her back legs, she also steals socks that I take off. I guess she's the only one who appreciates my hot stinky feet.
When Teddy needs to go out in the morning, he will find Spike's dirty socks and jump up on the bed with them and drop them in Spike's face.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #703
Certified Cake Maniac

I have been finding things in Violet's water dish lately - one of Monkey's cloth mice, a restaurant receipt, the paper backing for double-sided tape, a tree decoration, etc. I thought it was Violet doing this because she is jealous of Monkey's toy's (and "recycles" paper items in strange places) but I was wrong.

I woke up in my chair around 2 am and there is Monkey dumping her mouse in the water dish and then taking a drink.

I have the strangest cat in the world....and I love her to bits.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #704
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When Teddy needs to go out in the morning, he will find Spike's dirty socks and jump up on the bed with them and drop them in Spike's face.

When Violet figures it is walk time, she will put her head on TB's knee and stare at him until he gets up and take her. They say dogs don't do well in staring contests. THEY have never met our Violet!

She loves to sleep on my nightgown or Tony's super stinky work undershirts. In fact, we can throw a whole pile of dirty clothes on her and she will stay there for a long time.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #705
Head Chef

I haven't read all the joke pages---- so just in case. Or for new members.

simon's cat - YouTube
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #706
Chef Extraordinaire

Every night Spike comes here and we watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy together. Teddy get his scratchies, drinks from his bowl and then falls into a nice deep sleep. As soon as the final theme music of Jeopardy comes on he jumps up and grabs his leash. Spike and I thought it was the theme song that he was responding to. Nope! Tonight there was no Jeopardy on. But at eight on the button he woke right up and grabbed his leash. This dang dog can tell time. Even when he is sleeping!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #707
Certified Cake Maniac

My Dad's beloved poodle knew 8 pm too. At that time, Dad would put 5 little heart or bone shaped treats along the bottom of his bed. If he was into a show that went past 8 or he was on the computer and not watching the time, she would head butt his leg until he got up and gave her the treats. And if it was four not five, she would bark until he put the last one down.

I looked after her a few times when Dad was away and it didn't matter that it was a different house. She would head-butt us at 8 precisely and run to the bed!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #708
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Here is one of my favorite quotes about animals:

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion.

We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man.

In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.

They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.”

― Henry Beston, The Outermost House: A Year of Life On The Great Beach of Cape Cod

(Sorry to get all soppy. Maybe it's the Christmas season.)
Let's be soppy together:

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man". ~W.S. Churchill (Yes, that Churchill) quoted by, among others, one R. Reagan (yes, that Reagan)
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people". ~W.C. Fields

"A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence". ~Pam Brown
"Look back at our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to it's source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of the horse."
~Author Unknown
.................................................. .
"Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
Friendship without envy,
Or beauty without vanity?
Here, where grace is served with muscle
And strength by gentleness confined
He serves without servility; he has fought without enmity.
There is nothing so powerful, nothing less violent.
There is nothing so quick, nothing more patient."
~Ronald Duncan, "The Horse," 1954
.................................................. ..
"A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks, but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan." ~Pam Brown
.................................................. ..
And, of course:
"A woman needs two animals - the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it". ~Author Unknown

Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #709
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
My Dad's beloved poodle knew 8 pm too. At that time, Dad would put 5 little heart or bone shaped treats along the bottom of his bed. If he was into a show that went past 8 or he was on the computer and not watching the time, she would head butt his leg until he got up and gave her the treats. And if it was four not five, she would bark until he put the last one down.

I looked after her a few times when Dad was away and it didn't matter that it was a different house. She would head-butt us at 8 precisely and run to the bed!
For a year I lived in the house attached to one of my family's business premises. In the morning Vashti (my dog), who slept by my bed, whined to be let out and went downstairs to be at the back door ready to greet my father when he came to work. She couldn't have been influenced by the sound of the car engine as he often walked to work. She only did it Tuesday to Saturday - the business was closed on Sunday and Monday - and when my parents went on holiday and the assistant manager was in charge of opening up she didn't stir.

One year when I went on holiday to Spain I left Vashti (my dog) at home with my parents. They didn't know what time I would get back but the arrangement was that I would phone from the airport when I'd cleared customs and Dad would collect me.

This we did and as I got into the car Dad asked what time the plane had landed. I told him and he replied that at that precise time Vashti had got up and gone to the door whining. Dad thought she wanted to go out for a comfort break but when he opened the door she just carried on whining and looking at him and when I phoned he had to bring her with him to the airport.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #710
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post

When Violet figures it is walk time, she will put her head on TB's knee and stare at him until he gets up and take her. They say dogs don't do well in staring contests. THEY have never met our Violet!

She loves to sleep on my nightgown or Tony's super stinky work undershirts. In fact, we can throw a whole pile of dirty clothes on her and she will stay there for a long time.
A friend had a cat who used to steal her dirty knickers from the laundry basket and take them to his basket in the hall. She always had to do a quick check before she answered a knock at the door.