"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #771
Head Chef

Just in case people think they've gone crazy----- I've deleted my post. LOL

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #772
Executive Chef

I would like to get a cat, but I am highly allergic. I'm OK with dogs. We have never had a dog that sheds. They were all the type who had to go to a groomer for a hair-cut. DH now gives our dog his haircuts because the last time he went to the groomers he came home with a skin infection that ended up costing us hundreds of dollars. No more groomer for him.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #773
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I would like to get a cat, but I am highly allergic. I'm OK with dogs. We have never had a dog that sheds. They were all the type who had to go to a groomer for a hair-cut. DH now gives our dog his haircuts because the last time he went to the groomers he came home with a skin infection that ended up costing us hundreds of dollars. No more groomer for him.
Dog groomers should at least disinfect their equipment between dogs with something that covers bacterial, viral, and fungal contaminants. And it should be active against parvo and rabies virus.

Do they all? I don't know----- but if I were taking a dog to a groomers I'd ask questions and look for visual proof.

(Disinfecting is not sterilizing---- but sterilizing would be almost too much to ask of a groomer. )
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #774
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Dog groomers should at least disinfect their equipment between dogs with something that covers bacterial, viral, and fungal contaminants. And it should be active against parvo and rabies virus.

Do they all? I don't know----- but if I were taking a dog to a groomers I'd ask questions and look for visual proof.

(Disinfecting is not sterilizing---- but sterilizing would be almost too much to ask of a groomer. )

We have been taking our dogs to the same groomer since 1981 when we moved here. She is a crabby lady, but does a good job and the dogs like her. She is probably getting ready to retire, and lately has hired several other groomers to work in her shop and she just runs the business. I think either another dog had an infection, or someone didn't clean their equipment. We did not tell her about it, because you know she would insist that all their equipment was cleaned properly, but she has no real control over what someone else does. I don't want to take him somewhere else because if he still has a bit of the infection I don't want him to spread it to another animal. DH does a pretty good job with him. They always shaved him short, but DH just cuts it about an inch long with scissors. It is all spikey and cute looking. He will have to go somewhere to get his nails trimmed.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #775
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We did not tell her about it, because you know she would insist that all their equipment was cleaned properly, but she has no real control over what someone else does.
If you don't tell her, she can't improve her training of her staff and other dogs may still be at risk. Even if she gets defensive, she might start keeping a better eye on things.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #776
Head Chef

"she has no real control over what someone else does"

My bosses always had control over what I did. " Do it right or pick up your pink slip."
Old 02-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #777
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you don't tell her, she can't improve her training of her staff and other dogs may still be at risk. Even if she gets defensive, she might start keeping a better eye on things.
+1

I do understand not wanting to deal with it. Some days it just doesn't seem worth a confrontation.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #778
Master Chef

Quote:
I would like to get a cat, but I am highly allergic...
There seem to be a number of sites that list less allergy-aggravating breeds. Here is one of them: 10 Hypoallergenic Cat Breeds - PawNation A few of those poor critters are just danged ugly!

I've also heard that if you're allergic you should get a young kitten, like under 6 months. I guess the younger the cat the less irritants they produce, allowing you to gradually adjust to "cat" in the house. Don't know how true this is though.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #779
Chef Extraordinaire

It's snow fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teddy Beard.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	20707  
Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #780
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Is that Teddy or a is Spike walking a snowball?