"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I know all the reasons for having a pet for older citizens. They live longer, give them a purpose in life, are healthier, etc. And they are less likely to have depression. So I will have to always settle for just visits with him. I know that every night I will get to spend time with him again tomorrow.
When I was active in dog rescue, our organization took on several dogs whose owners died or went into long-term care. The families were not willing to take the dogs. I have told my dad that his dog is not an issue--she can come live out the rest of her life with me but he better not get another dog at his age (81). If you have pets, you can make accommodations for them in your will and I strongly recommend doing that. What we saw when someone died was a friend/family member would take the pet for ~6 months and then it was too much for them. Rescue organizations are run by volunteers. It is never convenient for an animal to come into rescue. It is not a gift to the organization.

A friend recently had to find a home for two sr. cats (12 and 13 years old). Her friend died and didn't make arrangements for the cats and the family didn't want to deal with them.

I love animals. I admire those who can continue doing rescue. I did that for 12 years. I can't do that anymore. It was too hard on my heart and my pocketbook. I have three Saint Bernards for which I am still responsible because they were my rescue puppies. They are in their adoptive homes, but should they need to come back, my door (and heart) are always open.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

CW, what made you pick St. Bernard dogs to rescue? It would have been easier on the pocketbook if you had chosen Yorkies or some other small dog. St. B's are beautiful, but very costly to keep.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #73
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've never not had cats, they've been in my life since I was born. Even if I had to visit Mom's to get a cat fix.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

The local moving truck was loading the last of our furniture. Our cat was in her box giving birth to her litter. Oh Dear. So the driver picked up the box, made the helper ride in the back with the furniture and put the mother and the box on the seat next to him. She gave birth to two kittens in the truck. When she arrived at our new home, she was the first one to enter. The driver placed her and her kittens in a closet with one of his pads. The cat had six kittens. One didn't make it. My husband gave each of them a nice tip for being so kind to our cat and her babies. When the babies were old enough to leave Mom, each mover came back to take a kitten. They chose the first two kittens born in the truck. Later I saw the truck around town. There was a picture of one of the kittens on the side of the truck with the lettering, "We treat your belongings like we would a newborn kitten." The driver had his kitten as his mascot in the truck. Went to every moving job with him. Was quite happy to sit in the cab while its owner went to work.

I saw the driver about a year later. Told me that his kitten story got him a host of new jobs and helped to build up his business. He even got a write-up in our local paper. I think I secretly fell in love with that man.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never not had cats, they've been in my life since I was born. Even if I had to visit Mom's to get a cat fix.
I thought I was the only one who had to get their daily pet fix. Teddy is about due any minute now.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #76
Master Chef

I think I'm going to start a new pets line about what pet you pick and why!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #77
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Patron and coworker...not much work got done today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patron 1-30-13.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	16986  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Patron and coworker...not much work got done today!
Ahhhh, Patron, you smell so good! What vintage is that beef chunk you rubbed behind your ear?

He's so cute!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #79
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Patron's face and ears.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

He had just decided sitting on my desk wasn't enough, I wasn't paying enough attention to him.