"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Awww he is adorable Fi

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #82
Master Chef

My latest is that we've had Rosebud for almost 2 years. We bought her from a humane society for our birthdays. At the time I think she was 8 mos.

We had some problems training her, and almost returned her (it was a no-kill shelter, and we'd paid up front to have her taken back).

Now that we love her, and have her trained, we find out she is sick.

Now that we've had her for almost two years, she has some sort of seizure disorder. We're working with a good vet. So far her seizures happen every 4 months or so. Our vet and we agree that we'll wait for one more before deciding how to medicate her.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My latest is that we've had Rosebud for almost 2 years. We bought her from a humane society for our birthdays. At the time I think she was 8 mos.

We had some problems training her, and almost returned her (it was a no-kill shelter, and we'd paid up front to have her taken back).

Now that we've had her for almost two years, she has some sort of seizure disorder. We're working with a good vet. So far her seizures happen every 4 months or so. Our vet and we agree that we'll wait for one more before deciding how to medicate her.
Claire, both my previous rescue cockers had seizures. We didn't medicate, and they got along fine and both lived to a ripe old age. The seizures probably scared us more than they did the dogs. Apparently seizures are very common with certain breeds. Thankfully, Beagle has no such issues.

Hugs to Rosebud!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

this is one of the two guys that greet me every morning when i get home, waiting to share breakfast.

beethoven (aka beetho, birdthoven, or butthead). he'll be 20 on april 3rd of this year.

yesterday, he ate almost a half of a hot dog, and the day before we shared an egg, cheese, and sausage wrap. if i don't share my food with hime, he makes so much noise that i can't sleep.

i'll have to get a picture of my african grey, louie. he'll be 26 in october. i'm kind of worried about him as he's developed arthritis in his right foot. if you try to touch it, he'll curse up a storm at you, then tell beetho to shut the f up. lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Claire, I'm so sorry about Rosebud, but at least she has a good vet and people who love her. You may find that she does just fine, like Dawg said. Even my baby brother had seizures when he was little...we kept him around anyway...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

claire, i'm sorry that i didn't read of rosebud's troubles before i posted my picture. i just saw the thread title and happened to see my old pic when looking for pictures of favourite burgers yesterday.

my first gf had a cocker spaniel that lived to a ripe old age, 18 i think, that had periodic seizures. she was their dad's hunting dog when she was young, but eventually ended up just being the family baby. the medication they gave her worked to a degree, but like dawg said, i think it was worse for the family. good luck with rosebud.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
this is one of the two guys that greet me every morning when i get home, waiting to share breakfast.

beethoven (aka beetho, birdthoven, or butthead). he'll be 20 on april 3rd of this year.

yesterday, he ate almost a half of a hot dog, and the day before we shared an egg, cheese, and sausage wrap. if i don't share my food with hime, he makes so much noise that i can't sleep.

i'll have to get a picture of my african grey, louie. he'll be 26 in october. i'm kind of worried about him as he's developed arthritis in his right foot. if you try to touch it, he'll curse up a storm at you, then tell beetho to shut the f up. lol.
Pretty bird, BT! Yes, we would love to see Louie too!

Lots of patience needed in keeping parrots and such as I understand. I have a friend who runs a parrot rescue, he has some interesting stories.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #88
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We just found out today that our sweet Cubbie (6-year-old German Shepherd/Rottweiler) has heartworms. He also has a Lick Granuloma on his right leg (Lick Granulomas in Dogs | Acral Lick Dermatitis) and a bad flea allergy. So, for the allergy he is on Benadryl three times a day. For the heartworms and the infection he is on Doxycycline. He has to take four 100 MG tablets twice a day for 30 days, then three months without, then repeat the cycle. After a year the vet will check how he is doing. He also wants us to bring Cubbie in for an x-ray and some blood tests soon.

Cubbie feels fine, and the vet said his heart is strong and he seems very healthy (other than what I have mentioned). We had taken him in for routine shots and a routine exam, not because he was acting sick. The only thing we were concerned about when we took him in was his leg.

For his first round of antibiotics and Benadryl I shoved each pill/capsule into a Fish McBite from McDonald's. Worked like a charm. One pill came out and I had to put it into another one, but Cubbie got them all down.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 AM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

He is lovely Tom, does he talk much?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
We just found out today that our sweet Cubbie (6-year-old German Shepherd/Rottweiler) has heartworms. He also has a Lick Granuloma on his right leg (Lick Granulomas in Dogs | Acral Lick Dermatitis) and a bad flea allergy. So, for the allergy he is on Benadryl three times a day. For the heartworms and the infection he is on Doxycycline. He has to take four 100 MG tablets twice a day for 30 days, then three months without, then repeat the cycle. After a year the vet will check how he is doing. He also wants us to bring Cubbie in for an x-ray and some blood tests soon.

Cubbie feels fine, and the vet said his heart is strong and he seems very healthy (other than what I have mentioned). We had taken him in for routine shots and a routine exam, not because he was acting sick. The only thing we were concerned about when we took him in was his leg.

For his first round of antibiotics and Benadryl I shoved each pill/capsule into a Fish McBite from McDonald's. Worked like a charm. One pill came out and I had to put it into another one, but Cubbie got them all down.
Sorry to hear about this Barbara, but at least he's easy to get the pills down.