Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think its more the dogs let me sleep wth them in the bed than the other way around...

There are three dog beds, one blanket on the floor and Joie's crate and they claim the living room sofa, the love seat in TB's office, our bed and the recliner in our office. You would think we have 10 dogs, not two! :LOL:

There are three dog beds, one blanket on the floor and Joie's crate and they claim the living room sofa, the love seat in TB's office, our bed and the recliner in our office. You would think we have 10 dogs, not two! :LOL:

Read reply to love "2" Q. :angel:

Shrek is the one who moves me out of bed. I just walk around to the other side and get in there until he works his way back. No wonder I am always tired. Smudge is a heavy footed cat and insists on standing on my ankles, that hurts and wakes me up, she's getting better about not standing on me. Latté can walk all over me all night and I never notice, she manages to surf her way to the top. She's telling me right now that it's time for bed.

Read reply to love "2" Q. :angel:

Yes, Addie, I did read that. Our be IS one of the dog beds :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: One day I did sleep on the big dog bed in our room when they were sick. I tried to get them to the couch, but they wanted to be on that bed and they didn't want to be alone. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep! ;)

Shrek is the one who moves me out of bed. I just walk around to the other side and get in there until he works his way back. No wonder I am always tired. Smudge is a heavy footed cat and insists on standing on my ankles, that hurts and wakes me up, she's getting better about not standing on me. Latté can walk all over me all night and I never notice, she manages to surf her way to the top. She's telling me right now that it's time for bed.
Hmmm...and you wonder why I said "no more dogs on the bed" when the two died and I could kick the others out of the bedroom? My little 70 lb dog used to sleep with her head burrowed in my stomach. The big guy (120 lb) used to sleep with his back up against mine. Is it any wonder I woke up with a sore back?

Yes, Addie, I did read that. Our be IS one of the dog beds :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: One day I did sleep on the big dog bed in our room when they were sick. I tried to get them to the couch, but they wanted to be on that bed and they didn't want to be alone. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep! ;)

I slept on the floor with Latté just after she was spayed, poor thing, I had her shut in the bedroom so Smudge wouldn't bug her, Shrek was up on the bed and I ended up on the floor so she wouldn't try to get to me. Shrek woke up to go to work and found us both curled up in front of the closet.:LOL:

My daughter's cat always slept up next to her head - one night he was startled by a noise and sprang up, running across her face. His claw caught in her eyelid -- no harm but bad enough, a couple of stitches in the ER -- a very close call. Kitty's not allowed there anymore.

I didn't sleep in Cubbie's bed, but he was scared of it for a few days after we bought it (and he was 5 years old!)! I think it was because it has a slick fabric on the bottom (warm and furry on top though). It make kind of a crackly sound when he stepped on it. He would jump over it to avoid it! I used treats to get him on it, but he would only sleep with his head over the edge and his body on the floor. Finally I put a piece of fleece fabric in it and I laid in the bed for awhile, and he scooted onto it a bit more. Now he sleeps on it with no problem (and once broken in it stopped making the slick fabric noise). Of course, he also sleeps on our bed, on the floor, and in James's chair. :cool:

Oh yes, I had mentioned how our cats like to change their sleep locations quite often. Our bigger (but younger) cat has been sleeping in the bathtub the last couple nights! I think he is there right now in fact.

Last edited:
And a friend is calling me about the success she is having trying the crate training techniques suggested. She was ready (almost--I hope--since she called first) to send the poor thing back to rescue because of the destroyed furniture. Now she is working on crating the gal when my friend is not home. No more destroyed baseboards or furniture, for the moment.

I think the fact that Rosebud was so good about her crate is what (along with the help of my DC pet friends) allowed us to keep her.

For those who have followed Rosebud's progress, we put her on phenobarbitol this morning. When her seizures were 3-4 mos apart it was one thing, but when it started at 10 days our vet and we, mutually, decided to medicate. I did a lot of research and we decided to go with the old tried-and-true rather than the newer med on the market. Our little rescue doggie is becoming an expensive one, but worth every penny at this point. The hardest part, for me, is not the seizure itself, but her fear afterwards.

I think the fact that Rosebud was so good about her crate is what (along with the help of my DC pet friends) allowed us to keep her.

For those who have followed Rosebud's progress, we put her on phenobarbitol this morning. When her seizures were 3-4 mos apart it was one thing, but when it started at 10 days our vet and we, mutually, decided to medicate. I did a lot of research and we decided to go with the old tried-and-true rather than the newer med on the market. Our little rescue doggie is becoming an expensive one, but worth every penny at this point. The hardest part, for me, is not the seizure itself, but her fear afterwards.

Lots of hugs for Rosebud! Poor Baby!

My Joie is so sick again. He was in pain this afternoon so I gave him a pill. We thought he had passed whatever was causing his discomfort but he is back to not eating. His movements are fairly normal (small but he is eating less) but a few hours ago he came to me grunting and panting in pain and shaking. Then he threw up his undigested breakfast all over the rug.

I am dealing with horrid pain myself right now and TB is working. I phoned the vets and they said he will probably be okay until tomorrow morning if we keep giving him the medicine and keep an eye on him. Since he got sick he is not shaking or grunting, so that is good.

We are also having a financial problem regarding this because it costs so much to have x-rays, etc. We are waiting for some money to come in, but since Dad passed away last year we have had more expenses each month (he paid us a bit to stay here and have me look after him). I am feeling so guilty that I am being a horrible "Pet-Mom". I am also fighting going to the hospital myself - but at least worrying about Joie and needing to be here for him is helping me (they probably won't do much for me anyway).

Thanks for letting me vent a bit even if it is a little all over the place. I am just so worried about my little guy.

My heart goes out to you. Beloved pets ... and sometimes you find yourself deciding if you can handle your own medical needs and theirs as well. It isn't easy. I'm thinking of you.

Oh dear. Hugs for Joie and Rosebud! And for LP and Claire!

We know your doggies are getting the best care possible, and are much beloved.

Last edited:
I slept on the floor with Latté just after she was spayed, poor thing, I had her shut in the bedroom so Smudge wouldn't bug her, Shrek was up on the bed and I ended up on the floor so she wouldn't try to get to me. Shrek woke up to go to work and found us both curled up in front of the closet.:LOL:
I slept with many dogs on the floor...I slept on the floor at the vet clinic with one Saint after he had cruciate surgery, but then I slept on the floor with him for 7 days after he had bloat surgery. No one thought he'd live, but he did. He died 7 years later. I am now sleeping on the floor with yet another Saint. She's been with me for 9 years. Her rear end has gone, but she still has the gumption to scoot around. Before you tell me that I'm being cruel, I'm waiting for my friend who is a vet to get her butt home from Vegas. I want this gal to leave this world in my arms in the home she has known for 9 years. She was picked up as a "wild child" stray in NC, heartworm positive, and immigrated to Canada after it was determined by the rescue group that she could not be adopted because she had startle reflex and snapped if anyone tried to touch her head or collar. She still does that, but ever so gentle when her mouth connects with my hand. I'm slinging her out and in to maintain her dignity. Tonight several of her doggy friends dropped by to say good-bye. I'm not sure I'll be ready on Friday (my birthday :-() but know that Dr. J will make it as painless as possible and with as much dignity as one could hope. I hope I go in the arms of the one who loves me best. In the meantime, I better finish grooming her so she gets to Rainbow Bridge looking her best.

I slept with many dogs on the floor...I slept on the floor at the vet clinic with one Saint after he had cruciate surgery, but then I slept on the floor with him for 7 days after he had bloat surgery. No one thought he'd live, but he did. He died 7 years later. I am now sleeping on the floor with yet another Saint. She's been with me for 9 years. Her rear end has gone, but she still has the gumption to scoot around. Before you tell me that I'm being cruel, I'm waiting for my friend who is a vet to get her butt home from Vegas. I want this gal to leave this world in my arms in the home she has known for 9 years. She was picked up as a "wild child" stray in NC, heartworm positive, and immigrated to Canada after it was determined by the rescue group that she could not be adopted because she had startle reflex and snapped if anyone tried to touch her head or collar. She still does that, but ever so gentle when her mouth connects with my hand. I'm slinging her out and in to maintain her dignity. Tonight several of her doggy friends dropped by to say good-bye. I'm not sure I'll be ready on Friday (my birthday :-() but know that Dr. J will make it as painless as possible and with as much dignity as one could hope. I hope I go in the arms of the one who loves me best. In the meantime, I better finish grooming her so she gets to Rainbow Bridge looking her best.

Oh, CWS, you make me cry and be happy at the same time. Cry for the loss, but happy she is going at home with those she loves.

My Joie is so sick again. He was in pain this afternoon so I gave him a pill. We thought he had passed whatever was causing his discomfort but he is back to not eating. His movements are fairly normal (small but he is eating less) but a few hours ago he came to me grunting and panting in pain and shaking. Then he threw up his undigested breakfast all over the rug.

I am dealing with horrid pain myself right now and TB is working. I phoned the vets and they said he will probably be okay until tomorrow morning if we keep giving him the medicine and keep an eye on him. Since he got sick he is not shaking or grunting, so that is good.

We are also having a financial problem regarding this because it costs so much to have x-rays, etc. We are waiting for some money to come in, but since Dad passed away last year we have had more expenses each month (he paid us a bit to stay here and have me look after him). I am feeling so guilty that I am being a horrible "Pet-Mom". I am also fighting going to the hospital myself - but at least worrying about Joie and needing to be here for him is helping me (they probably won't do much for me anyway).

Thanks for letting me vent a bit even if it is a little all over the place. I am just so worried about my little guy.
LP--sorry to hear that. I know how frustrating it is. I am waiting for Dr. J to come home because she will come to my home and send my gal on her way and only charge me for the cost of the drugs. I can't afford to take this gal in today (and I'm not ready). Hugs. Vets do good work, but it can get very expensive very quickly. A friend is struggling with that with her dog as well--can't afford the tests the vets recommend and is doing the best she can with what the vets do know. If only our pets could talk and tell us where it hurts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom