Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last time we had Ollie at the vet's for his rabies and other vaccines, she suggested glucosamine for his arthritis. His one hind leg is losing muscle mass from a knee injury and he limps often. I started him on some and now his feeding schedule is all out of whack and that throws off his insulin regimen. He won't always eat his "meals" and is laying around more than usual. He also seems to whine a lot. I'm thinking we may be back at the vet soon to see what's up.

On another note - a neighbor came by and complained about Salem stalking her bird feeder. Since we want to keep in good relations with the neighbors, we barred the doggie door. We recently purchased a smart door that allows Ollie to come and go but Salem can't open the door. So far it's working great. The way the solid door swings scares the cat so she avoids it while it's swinging and by the time it stops, it's locked and she can't open it. We've had some pawing and crying at the door for a few days but that seems to be over. It took Ollie a day or two to figure out the new door but now he knows to wait for unlock sound to go through.

Jabbur, much to my sister's dismay, when she was taking the glucose... she discovered that it was loaded with sugar. Because she was diabetic, she had to stop taking it as it was really screwing up her insulin. :angel:

I had read that too and asked the vet about it. The label on the tabs she suggested for Ollie did not list any sugars added. Vet said it doesn't always throw off the blood sugar but to try it and watch for signs of high sugar (drinking a lot, increased urination etc). I stopped the pills 2 days ago and hope that will help him get back on track.

Wednesday night, my daughter's Westie dog Cosmos became very sick, vomiting, diarrhea, and could barely stand up. He couldn't hold anything down. So she took him to the vet yesterday and with blood work, she will know today what the problem is. The choices are parasites, heat, or flu. She left $500 lighter. Needless to say, she is so upset. I personally think the dog needs to lose some weight. He son who lives downstairs also has a Westie and he is fine.

Spike and my g'son both take their dogs for long walks and let them run. I know my daughter is sick and can't do that. But her husband can put Cosmos in the car and take him down to the Belle Isle preserve and let him run and catch mice and other things that habit that area. The dog really needs to lose some weight. If he doesn't, his joints are going to give out too early in his life. :angel:

Jabbur, (((hugs))) What a nuisance the glucosamine is throwing off the feeding schedule and messing with the insulin. Gentle hugs to Ollie.

Have you considered putting a bell on Salem's collar? That usually makes the neighbours happy. It isn't really all that helpful in terms protecting birds. As a friend put it, "When a cat wears a bell, it just means that the last thing the bird hears before it dies is a bell ringing."

Some song birds are endangered because of cats, so imo if we can protect them, we should.
I agree. If there are any endangered birds (small enough for a cat to kill, not condors. :rolleyes:) living in the area, I think it would be good to keep cats away from them, and a bell isn't good enough, unless you have a klutzy cat who can't move without ringing the bell. I'm not even sure that is good enough.

Shreddy is an indoor cat, so I'm not worried. However, he has caught two birds inside the house. :ermm: I'm pretty sure they weren't songbirds.

Another night up with Violet. TB just finished a week of evening shifts and did overtime the last three so I wanted him to sleep but this is killing me. I need my own sleep.

I really don't know if it is her hip pain, not getting over the shuffle of rooms or just being bored.

I don't think it is pain because usually she is better in the warm weather and has been doing well on the new medicine. She is tending to sleep in the hall (and whimpers and pants or nudges you to get up with her) at night or on TB's love seat in his office instead of her bed in our room so it might be the rooms. As for being bored, we are giving her as much attention as possible and she seems to be happy.

I don't want to take her to the vet and find out she is just playing us for attention, but also don't want to not take her and find out later she has been suffering. There is also the issue of going to the old vet or a brand new one (with good references) in our current neighbourhood.

Am I just being an over protective "Mom"? :angel:

Last edited:
I should add she is licking constantly, and everything - herself, us, the carpet, her bed, etc. She doesn't have fleas and is not biting. She is eating well and has two water dishes inside that are changed at least once a day in the summer and a free flowing one (a pail with the hose on a slight dribble) outside.

I should add she is licking constantly, and everything - herself, us, the carpet, her bed, etc. She doesn't have fleas and is not biting. She is eating well and has two water dishes inside that are changed at least once a day in the summer and a free flowing one (a pail with the hose on a slight dribble) outside.

Laurie, do you think she might just be too warm? It has been quite warm lately. I'm just thinking that all that licking might have to do with the heat or perhaps a skin condition. Our dog once contracted something that the Vet said he may have picked up from walking in/on bird droppings. It caused crusty scabby spots to form and because he was a very curly cocker spaniel we did not notice at first, but it was very irritating to him. The Vet gave us a "tonic" to give him daily. She also said I was bathing him too much :/ might be worth giving Violet a thorough exam right down to the skin if you haven't already. I might add that they weren't really sores and you could scrape them off with out harming the skin or leaving a sore spot behind it was wierd.

Last edited:
Did you ever try homemade food? If not, what was the problem?

It was when I was working nights and just didn't have the time. Trying to get to stores that had the ingredients I needed and were only open in the daytime took a lot of planning. I also did not have the space for freezing or canning the food.

It was when I was working nights and just didn't have the time. Trying to get to stores that had the ingredients I needed and were only open in the daytime took a lot of planning. I also did not have the space for freezing or canning the food.
Not enough space to freeze the food is a real project killer.

(((Hugs))) to all of you with furry family members that are feeling bad. Hope they all get healthy for you guys real quick. Mine is just going through her normal "terminally stupid" phase. ("Terminally stupid" because I want to kill her sometimes! But I don't...)

...... There is also the issue of going to the old vet or a brand new one (with good references) in our current neighbourhood....

Our kitty was having problems that her first vet worked all around looking for but never found. That first vet was highly thought of in the area but became unworkable for us. Switched to a different vet and the issue was discovered right away. Don't know if that makes your decision any easier, but for us changing vets did make a positive difference. Good luck!

Shreddy is not enjoying the new, prescription cat food. He'll it a little bit of it and then try to hide the rest behind his water bowl. :LOL:

I'm really not fond of the ingredients or the analysis. Corn, wheat, soy :ermm:

I think I better call the vet and ask about radioactive iodine instead of this dubious, low iodine cat food.

I agree, cats are carnivores...no sense turning Shreddy into a diabetic with an all carb diet.

Last edited:
Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust. :angel:

Any time we have had pets, I have always tried to feed them what they would eat in the wild. I have never seen a cat or dog go into a cornfield to get something to eat.

One time I gave Teddy a piece of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms. The little bugger picked off all the mushrooms and spit them out on the rug. Then he ate the pepperoni. He took a small taste of the tomato sauce and cheese. He liked the cheese, left the sauce and crust. :angel:
Smart dog.

Yeah, I want to change his diet to something more like what they eat in the wild, something species appropriate. Cats can't digest grain or vegis. Dogs can eat more of that kind of stuff than cats can. Sure, they get a bit of grain and veg in the digestive systems of mice and birds, but not much and it comes with the digestive enzymes that cats can't produce.
:angel:

Smart dog.

Yeah, I want to change his diet to something more like what they eat in the wild, something species appropriate. Cats can't digest grain or vegis. Dogs can eat more of that kind of stuff than cats can. Sure, they get a bit of grain and veg in the digestive systems of mice and birds, but not much and it comes with the digestive enzymes that cats can't produce.
:angel:

When cats and dogs needs a veggie they will eat grass. But only when they feel they need it. Not every day. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom