Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a visiting Great Dane for the next 7-14 days. He is 15 months' old and quite the character. It is as if I have a colt in the house. He can check out what is in the sink. Needless to say, the kitchen is "off limits" for him. He's recovering from surgery. He will travel to southern Ontario and his rescue group once the vet gives him the okay at the end of the week/early next week.

I have a visiting Great Dane for the next 7-14 days. He is 15 months' old and quite the character. It is as if I have a colt in the house. He can check out what is in the sink. Needless to say, the kitchen is "off limits" for him. He's recovering from surgery. He will travel to southern Ontario and his rescue group once the vet gives him the okay at the end of the week/early next week.

I think that's as long as I could handle a Great Dane.:LOL:

I think that's as long as I could handle a Great Dane.:LOL:

My neighbor in Texas had a Great Dane. When they moved and left the state, they just left him to roam and fend for himself. He was such a woose. Scared of everything. I fed him for a while, then had to call the dog pound to come and get him. When the guy came to get him, he called by name and jumped right into the seat of the truck. No cage for him. Everyone in town knew the dog, but no one would take him. Too bad. They finally found a ranch family about 10 miles out of town that took him. The last I heard he was great at taking care of the coyotes that came for the cattle. :angel:

This one is NOT meeting the girls. I don't know that he would hurt them, but I'm not willing to chance it. They are big babies...much harder to have in the house than a Saint. The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it. Needless to say, he spends a lot of time attached to a leash that is attached to me. I didn't realize how small the bathroom really was until I tried to close the door with the two of us in there...

This one is NOT meeting the girls. I don't know that he would hurt them, but I'm not willing to chance it. They are big babies...much harder to have in the house than a Saint. The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it. Needless to say, he spends a lot of time attached to a leash that is attached to me. I didn't realize how small the bathroom really was until I tried to close the door with the two of us in there...

Is there no one place in the house that you could put him and leave him there? Do you have a child fence that you could put in a doorway? It does sound like you are having fun with him though. Just out of curiosity has he finished growing? Good luck! :angel:

Like Addie, I'm wondering if you have a dog-proof room to keep him in...so you can relax. I know you are loving having him for a bit.

Like Addie, I'm wondering if you have a dog-proof room to keep him in...so you can relax. I know you are loving having him for a bit.
I have a 4 ft x 4 ft pen set up in the livingroom. I do have an empty room, but he might get into trouble there. As long as he can see me, he's quite content to be in the crate when I'm in the kitchen. I also have two permanent gates, but nothing to keep him out of the kitchen, so for now, he lives in the 4x4. His rescue folks just dropped off more food. I took advantage of their visit to do some "door manners" with the pony. I also demonstrated how he goes in the crate and sits and waits for his food and sits and waits to be released from the crate. They were impressed--he's only been at CWS' K9 bootcamp for 24 hours. Give me 7 days and he will be so well mannered <g>.

Last edited:
... The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it....I also demonstrated how he goes in the crate and sits and waits for his food and sits and waits to be released from the crate. They were impressed--he's only been at CWS' K9 bootcamp for 24 hours. Give me 7 days and he will be so well mannered <g>.

When he DOES learn how to open the microwave be sure you show him how to set up the cook time before he pushes the "start" button. Then it will be time to show him how to prep veggies. I mean if he's going to be there he may as well be put to work! Now to find an appropriately sized apron...

If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be entertaining us with your adventures with King Dane. ;)

I draped his 4x4 tonight with sheets. He's been quietly sleeping while I've been processing zucchini, etc. Draping the crate is a trick we used to do, that and tieing baby crib bumpers around the bottom so the dog would have s/place soft to rest its head--oh, and a "crate buddy" (a/k/a a stuffy with the eyes broken off so the dog couldn't eat/digest those. I have to wake him up and feed him at midnight).

I draped his 4x4 tonight with sheets. He's been quietly sleeping while I've been processing zucchini, etc. Draping the crate is a trick we used to do, that and tieing baby crib bumpers around the bottom so the dog would have s/place soft to rest its head--oh, and a "crate buddy" (a/k/a a stuffy with the eyes broken off so the dog couldn't eat/digest those. I have to wake him up and feed him at midnight).

Aw...he just needed less stimulation. Poor giant baby.

I made an appointment to take Shreddy to the vet who does iodine treatment for hyperthyroid cats. The whole treatment, consultation, and follow up blood work costs $1,652.19 (including sales taxes) which is $25 more than a year's worth of the special cat food that he hates. I had to calculate that, because even though I love Shreddy a lot, he is almost 18 yo. And how much does a person want to spend on a cat that old?

This appointment is just for consultation. The vet will have a look at Shreddy and palpate the tumour. According to the vet tech with whom I spoke on the phone, the success rate for iodine treatment of hyperthyroidism in cats is about 99%. They have treated over 300 cats and all were cured. One came back with a new tumour three years later.

He won't need a general anaesthetic, phew.

TL, I have a friend that got a blind Border Collie from a rescue place. Shortly after, he developed cancer. He was not expected to live and he didn't.

You ask how much are you willing to spend on a pet? They mortgaged their home to pay for his treatment. And they had him less than a year. :angel:

DH jokes that we run an old pets' home :) We have a 13-year-old black Lab with arthritis and an 18-year-old hypothyroid tabby cat. We love them dearly but we feel that they have had long happy lives with us and we don't want to put them through undue suffering with procedures, cramming pills down their throats, etc.

We have told our vet that we will do what we need to to make them comfortable but not go to great measures - read expenses - to treat their illnesses. I feel the same way about my own medical care. I don't want to suffer for an extended period or for DH to bankrupt himself to try to thwart the natural progression of life and death.

Best wishes to Shreddy, tl. Take care.

Last edited:
DH jokes that we run an old pets' home :) We have a 13-year-old black Lab with arthritis and an 18-year-old hypothyroid tabby cat. We love them dearly but we feel that they have had long happy lives with us and we don't want to put them through undue suffering with procedures, cramming pills down their throats, etc.

We have told our vet that we will do what we need to to make them comfortable but not go to great measures - read expenses - to treat their illnesses. I feel the same way about my own medical care. I don't want to suffer for an extended period or for DH to bankrupt himself to try to thwart the natural progression of life and death.

Best wishes to Shreddy, tl. Take care.
Thanks GG. I feel pretty much the same as you.

Shreddy really hates the special cat food and he was losing too much weight and hungry all the time. I'm sure he won't like the car ride to the vet - he hates the 10 minute ride to the local vet and this one is a half hour away. I'm sure he'll hate staying at the vet clinic for 4 days to two weeks. But, then he should be cured and he can go back to eating normal amounts of food he likes.

taxy, I bet pets are priceless to all of us. But at some point you have to consider how a costly procedure for a pet impacts your own financial life. Even at $1800. I'd have to think long and hard about an expensive treatment for our 13 year (or so, she could be older) kitty. Then again, you weigh the benefits of the cat's impact on your life and what it would be like if Shreddy wasn't in it. Our own cat is terminally dumb; we're surprised she's still alive with some stuff she's done. She better not get TOO sick 'cuz on a bad day her value could be a buck-eighty-five! :ermm:

(((hugs)) to you both!

Back
Top Bottom