Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We brought Shreddy to the vet who does radioactive iodine treatment of hyperthyroidism in cats this evening. Poor Shreddy complained for the entire 30 minute car ride, as I expected. Unfortunately, he found it stressful enough that he peed in the cat carrier.

He did seem to like the vet. I liked the vet. He was surprised that the special cat food had done such a good job, as am I. He said that the radioactive iodine is the best option for Shreddy. He explained lots of stuff and was very good about answering questions. He wants Shreddy off the special food for at least two weeks before the treatment. That way his thyroid will be working nice and hard and will absorb the iodine better.

I have already given Shreddy a bowl of chicken, from the Costco rotisserie chicken. He seemed very pleased. Tomorrow I buy some of the catfood that he likes. He will also be getting tuna.

After the treatment and minimum four days stay at the clinic, I have special instructions. I have to be careful with the litter box and the vet recommended flushable litter. The government doesn't consider cats to be patients, just sources of leakage of radioactive materials. :ermm: And here's the horrible part: for two weeks after the treatment I'm not supposed to cuddle the cat for more than 30 minutes a day! Boo.

We are thinking of planning a short getaway while the vet clinic is taking care of Shreddy.

Shreddy has his appointment to get a radioactive iodine shot to treat his hyperthyroidism. The tech just phoned and confirmed that the radioactive iodine is on its way from somewhere out west.

I'm starting to get anxious. He will be at the animal hospital for at least four days. Then they will check how radioactive he is. If it's less than 10 microsieverts he can come home. Otherwise, he will have to stay until it is down to that. When he comes home, I can only cuddle him for a max of 30 minutes/day for two weeks. :( And, I have to treat his litter box as radioactive waste for those two weeks. The vet recommended flushable, clumping litter, gloves, and litter box liner.

Shreddy has his appointment to get a radioactive iodine shot to treat his hyperthyroidism. The tech just phoned and confirmed that the radioactive iodine is on its way from somewhere out west.

I'm starting to get anxious. He will be at the animal hospital for at least four days. Then they will check how radioactive he is. If it's less than 10 microsieverts he can come home. Otherwise, he will have to stay until it is down to that. When he comes home, I can only cuddle him for a max of 30 minutes/day for two weeks. :( And, I have to treat his litter box as radioactive waste for those two weeks. The vet recommended flushable, clumping litter, gloves, and litter box liner.

{{{{hugs, Shreddie &Taxy}}}}

It will be wonderful if this solves his problem.

{{{{hugs, Shreddie &Taxy}}}}

It will be wonderful if this solves his problem.
Thank you. And, yes it will be wonderful if it solves the problem. It works for something like 95-98% of cats. The vet clinic has done over 300 and only one needed to be done again, three years later.

Keep your fingers crossed on Monday.

Best wishes for a good outcome for Shreddy.

I'm curious. How do you dispose of radioactive waste?

Best wishes for a good outcome for Shreddy.

I'm curious. How do you dispose of radioactive waste?
Thank you.

Well, the deposits in the litter box get flushed. I'm not sure about the leftover litter, liner, and gloves. I'll ask about that. He won't be very radioactive. :ermm:

Good thoughts for you and Shreddy going out. Lots of extra hugs for the lack of same for two weeks.

Oh I am sorry, taxlady. You may only cuddle for 30 minutes per each day? I hope you will not suffer too much of cuddle starvation.

You and Shreddy are in my thoughts and my prayers.

I just had a funny thought. Is the litterbox in a dark place? It might be easier to see it when it starts to glow in the dark from the radioactive elements it contains!

I apologize if this was rude. I was only trying to give you a smile, taxlady. I do understand this is extremely serious, and it is why you and Shreddy are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please tell us of how he is doing. I certainly do want to know. My DC family's pets are important to me.

With love,
~Cat

Then we are both rude...:mrgreen: Taxy and Shreddy both need their spirits lifted and laughter is the best form of healing. You have a good heart, Cat and it shows.:angel:

Oh I thank you! I just pray for taxlady and Shreddy.

If I am not mistaken, however, the local fire departments here have what is called a "HazMat" team. This means there is a group of people within the fire department which takes care of these hazardous materials. I am sure radioactive materials could perhaps fall under this. Taxlady could call her fire department to speak to them of such waste perhaps?

It does not seem to be prudent to flush these radioactive elements into the sewer system.

I think this could be a good source of how to evacuate radioactive elements.

With love,
~Cat

Then we are both rude...:mrgreen: Taxy and Shreddy both need their spirits lifted and laughter is the best form of healing. You have a good heart, Cat and it shows.:angel:
No one is being rude. I am enjoying the humour.
Oh I thank you! I just pray for taxlady and Shreddy.

If I am not mistaken, however, the local fire departments here have what is called a "HazMat" team. This means there is a group of people within the fire department which takes care of these hazardous materials. I am sure radioactive materials could perhaps fall under this. Taxlady could call her fire department to speak to them of such waste perhaps?

It does not seem to be prudent to flush these radioactive elements into the sewer system.

I think this could be a good source of how to evacuate radioactive elements.

With love,
~Cat
Iodine 131 has a half life of about 8 days. It won't be very radioactive to start with and the radioactivity declines quickly. There aren't many vets who do the radioactive iodine treatment, because they have to be licensed by the government to handle radioactive isotopes. I'm pretty sure that flushing it is the recommended method of getting rid of the poop and pee.

Iodine 131 has a half life of about 8 days. It won't be very radioactive to start with and the radioactivity declines quickly. There aren't many vets who do the radioactive iodine treatment, because they have to be licensed by the government to handle radioactive isotopes. I'm pretty sure that flushing it is the recommended method of getting rid of the poop and pee.

Hope Shreddy doesn't mind the different litter, some cats resent a change.

It works for people who are getting radiation treatments. We use Standard Contact Precautions with our patients.

It just occurred to me to do a search :rolleyes:

Found this: Iodine

A treated cat will excrete low levels of radioactive iodine in its urine for several weeks. Wear disposable plastic gloves when changing the litter and disposable plastic litter pan liners to minimize handling the litter. Change the litter daily and try to prevent tracking of litter away from the box. Place all contents in a plastic bag and keep it out of the normal trash (store outside your home) for 3 weeks, and then you can dispose of it with your regular trash.

This method would keep it out of the water system. That may not be an issue for you, and as you said, it decays quickly. We have a well and we water the garden and herbs from it, so if it were me, I would feel better not putting it in the water system. That's probably not rational, but sometimes I'm that way ;)

Oh I see!

I am just nervous of radioactive things. I heard terrible things of this about Chernobyl in Ukraine. That is next to Romania and people were very frightened.

I do not want anyone to become ill of this.

I will be looking to the NASA website when this happens, taxlady. The satellites take photos of the earth all the time, and if I see a glowing mushroom cloud somewhere near Montreal, I will know where you live.

With love,
~Cat

Oh I see!

I am just nervous of radioactive things. I heard terrible things of this about Chernobyl in Ukraine. That is next to Romania and people were very frightened.

I do not want anyone to become ill of this.

I will be looking to the NASA website when this happens, taxlady. The satellites take photos of the earth all the time, and if I see a glowing mushroom cloud somewhere near Montreal, I will know where you live.

With love,
~Cat

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hope Shreddy doesn't mind the different litter, some cats resent a change.
I've changed his type of litter and he doesn't seem to care. I've used the corn husk granules and the crystal stuff and he just used it. I don't anticipate a problem with the flushable, clumping stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom