Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that makes a lot of sense. It's one of the reasons that, when a dog has to be overnight at the vet after an operation or left at a boarding kennel, it's suggested to bring an item of your worn clothing for the dog to cuddle up to. And it's favorite toy.

Cat's, who are seemingly unwilling to appear to like their owners, would benefit by this also. :)
When Shreddy (my 18 yo tomcat) went for his I-131 treatment, the vet suggested a smelly old t-shirt or similar. He was there for four days and might have had to stay for a week. We were told to make sure it was something we didn't want back, 'cause it would radioactive.

When I got my first (as an adult) dog, a sibling said to me, "Claire, why don't you just have a kid, it would be easier." Huh? Last time I heard, it's illegal to put a child in a crate when you leave the house (my dogs all had to be crate trained because we were military and would have to move them). And unlike some friends, I haven't had to deal with 40+ year old offspring who "need" me to write them a check. No, the dogs have not been replacements for children. Just loving companions for a decade or so (I think my last two lived for 15 and 16 years).

I know this is out of date but must add a story to this. I once taught in a school where Margaret, the school librarian, and her husband had a GSD who went everywhere with them and was one of the family. One lunchtime she was talking about the dog and another teacher very waspishly said "That dog's a child substitute". Quick as a flash Margaret came back with "Oh, no. A child would be a dog substitute". (Applause from the dog-lovers present.) I knew just what she meant and often quote her when similar remarks are made.

Last edited:
Minor panic today. I was having a late lunch at the stables café when a new client came rushing in shouting for me. "Come quick your horse is ill. I think he's got colic. He's lying down and groaning". I looked at my watch and said "Oh no. He's OK".

She obviously thought I was heartless so I explained the significance of the time and took her round to look and sure enough, Horse was spark out on the floor, snoring. It was afternoon nap time! The stables' staff say you can set your watch by him.

MadCook commented:

""Oh, no. A child would be a dog substitute".:)

I know what you mean. I will always wish that I had known enough to 'train' my child as good as I later trained all my dogs. And please don't go all waspy with me :LOL:

A real dog person with well trained dogs will know what I mean.

MadCook commented:

""Oh, no. A child would be a dog substitute".:)

I know what you mean. I will always wish that I had known enough to 'train' my child as good as I later trained all my dogs. And please don't go all waspy with me :LOL:

A real dog person with well trained dogs will know what I mean.
And a real horse person with a well-trained horse too. When my horse doesn't do as he's told and I say, sternly "WHAT did I say to you!" It's my mother's voice coming out of my mouth!:rolleyes:

MadCook said:
"When my horse doesn't do as he's told and I say, sternly "WHAT did I say to you!"

I know that's true---- horses (and dogs) are very sensitive to the voice and the tone.

Something that I always kept in mind was this: A reprimand to a dog should always be in the 10 seconds after a mis-behave. Later than that and you're just 'attacking' it for no discernible reason (to the dog).

Horses have a 3 second window for that.

(Husbands? I don't know.)

MadCook said:
"When my horse doesn't do as he's told and I say, sternly "WHAT did I say to you!"

I know that's true---- horses (and dogs) are very sensitive to the voice and the tone.

Something that I always kept in mind was this: A reprimand to a dog should always be in the 10 seconds after a mis-behave. Later than that and you're just 'attacking' it for no discernible reason (to the dog).

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I need some sort of cloth over my screen when you post things like that. I am tired of cleaning off the coffee. I can't stop giggling! :angel:

I find that dogs and cats have a much longer window if you show them the problem they created. You can see them recognize that pile of toilet paper or poop. :LOL:

MadCook said:

Less than one second:ROFLMAO::LOL:

I find that dogs and cats have a much longer window if you show them the problem they created. You can see them recognize that pile of toilet paper or poop. :LOL:

That may be but a possible scenario is they recognize the subtle or not so subtle signs that the owner is exhibiting while showing them the poop. Dogs are much better at reading our body/facial language then we are theirs.

Cats------- could probably care less what you think of them OR their poop. :LOL:

MadCook said:

No, I don't know about husbands either but the rest is so true.

Minor panic today. I was having a late lunch at the stables café when a new client came rushing in shouting for me. "Come quick your horse is ill. I think he's got colic. He's lying down and groaning". I looked at my watch and said "Oh no. He's OK".

She obviously thought I was heartless so I explained the significance of the time and took her round to look and sure enough, Horse was spark out on the floor, snoring. It was afternoon nap time! The stables' staff say you can set your watch by him.

My Dad got in the habit of handing out treats to his poodle at 8 pm. If you didin't get up right at 8 she would nudge you until you did.

I kept up the 8 pm tradition with our dogs. Joie seemed to notice but Violet would sleep and when she was called she would come.

Well, she started wining in the evening and we couldn't figure it out. She had her meds with dinner so shouldn't be in pain. It would happen around 8, then 7:30, and kept getting earlier and earlier. Finally one day she started whining at the place where the treats are kept. She doesn't get them until 8 pm, and she doesn't stop trying to get attention until then. Aferwards, she curls up in her bed and goes to sleep.

Monkey? She's always off in one of her hiding place, but as soon as I go for the treats she is there!

Seems like the younger one making the older one do all the work again! :LOL:

My poor little kitty, Blackee, was attacked by another cat a couple of weeks ago (in our own backyard) and is recovering nicely now after surgery, thank goodness. He's 13 and in good health, indoor cat most of the time, but does enjoy some time laying out on the back lawn in the sunshine. He tried to retreat from the attack but wasn't quick enough to get away, and his bites got infected. :(

The drains have been removed, and his fur is starting to grow back. He's on the last of his antibiotics and other than wanting to go back and lay in the sunshine, he's doing well. :)

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 159
My poor little kitty, Blackee, was attacked by another cat a couple of weeks ago (in our own backyard) and is recovering nicely now after surgery, thank goodness. He's 13 and in good health, indoor cat most of the time, but does enjoy some time laying out on the back lawn in the sunshine. He tried to retreat from the attack but wasn't quick enough to get away, and his bites got infected. :(

The drains have been removed, and his fur is starting to grow back. He's on the last of his antibiotics and other than wanting to go back and lay in the sunshine, he's doing well. :)
Aw, poor guy. I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Thank you, taxlady and dawg. :) If I didn't know any better I'd swear he was embarrassed about not having fur on his hindquarters when he first got shaved. :unsure::blush: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom