"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

Pets

I'm going crazy because I can't seem to find the pets line here. In the two years I've had my little rescue doggie, I got so much help; from my DC friends, my relatives, and various local dog trainers (I write a casual column for the local rag and they've called me to help). I cannot find the line. But it was funny, and I thought you'd enjoy, that people continually think she is some sort of pure bred hunting dog. I, personally, knowing she was picked up off the side of the road out in the Iowa country, rather suspect that she had a mommy who was some sort of hunter, who had a litter and her owner didn't want the puppies (there were a couple of other dogs looking like her in the same safe haven ad so think someone just dumped a litter). But this weekend a Bosnian friend was petting her and loving up to her, and DH went on line and found a site that looked like her. I'd seen pics of a German shorthaired pointer that looked like her, but way too big (Rosebud is 23 lbs). Hubby is starting to say she's an Istrian hound! how funny! Do we care? No. She's just Rosebud. But people are always asking us, so now she's officially an Istrian Hound! We declared the 4th of July to be her official birthday (close enough); she'll be two. I felt somewhat better when I read a memoir about a woman who adopted a dog recently (can't remember the name of the book) who said 8 months old was the worst year for dogs, like having a juvenile delinquent teenager. Made me feel like we done good, since that was her age when we adopted her.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's made me realize that I have a couple of Senior kitties. Smudge is 12 years and Latté is almost 11. How time flies.

I'm so glad that Rosebud turned into the doggie you have now, I remember how trying she was at first.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Master Chef

Yeah, that first 8 months or so was really a trial, and we thought we'd have to give her up. Mostly concern for our older and children friends, because if she could leap up and bite MY nose (I'm quite tall), there's no way. We'd already decided she was ours before, but a few months ago we had to go take care of my elderly, frail parents for a month, and she was a doll. No one had a problem with her. Teenaged nephews were teasing her, and grand-niece (age 2) was about to visit, and I set them straight, with their parents, my parents and husband backing me up 100%. I don't care if she bites your nose off, but this child is coming, do NOT get her riled up. Period. She was a love-puppy and all is well.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Claire,

Lovely anecdote ...

We had chosen not to have anymore kit kats after our last two British Shorthairs passed away at the age of 22 years ... It was quite tough on us ... Felt, we lost our male children ... The Gals were torn up.

Now we have exterior foster care adopted 4 legged children:

1) Professor - a sepia and white Catalan Breed Donkey of 2 years
2) Rubí - an Andalusian Silver breed Donkey found on highway by the Vet who rescued her with a Rancher client ... According to her teeth and blood work, she is 11 yrs. old.
3) Equis: an Apoloosa horse that I ride, and the Vet who fostered him for us ...

However, it is too difficult for house pets, as we travel alot ...

Have a nice wkend.
Ciao. Margi.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

We're going through some trials with our 9 year old German shepherd-border collie mix named Ollie. After our trip to Michigan for family wedding, I noticed that he was drinking all the time. Seemed to be going outside way more than usual and his breath had that ketone smell to it. He was diagnosed with diabetes this week. Had the instructions and he got his first (of many) insulin shots today. He lost over 12 lbs and is rather pitiful looking. Not quite back to his old self yet. He's such a sweetie and took the shot without any trouble. Hope we can this under control soon and he perks back up.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
We're going through some trials with our 9 year old German shepherd-border collie mix named Ollie. After our trip to Michigan for family wedding, I noticed that he was drinking all the time. Seemed to be going outside way more than usual and his breath had that ketone smell to it. He was diagnosed with diabetes this week. Had the instructions and he got his first (of many) insulin shots today. He lost over 12 lbs and is rather pitiful looking. Not quite back to his old self yet. He's such a sweetie and took the shot without any trouble. Hope we can this under control soon and he perks back up.
{{{{Ollie}}}}. Hope the treatments work, Jabbur!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Mom had a one-eyed cat that had diabetes and she had to give him insulin every day. He got so he would crouch by his food bowl at the same time every day to get his shot first, then he knew Mom would feed him. Gopher was 12 years old when he was diagnosed, he died of old age at 22...10 years of insulin. He was a good cat!

Hugs for Ollie and I hope he bounces back to his old self.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Claire,

Lovely anecdote ...

We had chosen not to have anymore kit kats after our last two British Shorthairs passed away at the age of 22 years ... It was quite tough on us ... Felt, we lost our male children ... The Gals were torn up.

Now we have exterior foster care adopted 4 legged children:

1) Professor - a sepia and white Catalan Breed Donkey of 2 years
2) Rubí - an Andalusian Silver breed Donkey found on highway by the Vet who rescued her with a Rancher client ... According to her teeth and blood work, she is 11 yrs. old.
3) Equis: an Apoloosa horse that I ride, and the Vet who fostered him for us ...

However, it is too difficult for house pets, as we travel alot ...

Have a nice wkend.
Ciao. Margi.
Donkeys and horses? And I think I've had pet problems. On the other hand, you don't have to house train them!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

One very endearing characteristic of Rosebud is her .... well, I guess it is insecurities. She was an abandoned puppy who was a three-time loser (abandoned, then taken in by one shelter. When time came that they had to have her space, they thought she was still adoptable, and found our county's no-kill shelter). From the start she strongly identifies her crate and her collar with security. She regularly goes into her crate when she's feeling low. When we're leaving the house she climbs in her crate and waits to be shut in (I more than suspect that if we didn't close the door, she still wouldn't leave the crate if we aren't there). When I take her collar off to groom her, she stares at it and wants it back. I guess everything that happened to her in life that was good before we got her, happened after someone found her on the side of the road, put in a crate, and collared her.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

in order to have a horse or donkey for a pet, you'd actually take care of them.

are they really pets, or warm blooded toys?

btw, dental and blood exams are slightly less than educated guesses at age approximation, at best. ask the vet. unless you know an animal's entire history, care, and diet, dental exams and certain hormones or blood factors are shots in the dark.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote