"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

"As I said with her mother, I'll put her down when she's in pain, but not for being a pain."

Well said. A few years ago I inherited an 18 year old Siamese cat. ( Call me crazy) She peed in our shoes every chance she got. Never could figure that one out.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
We took our daughter and youngest boy to the human society today to look at puppies. We found a gorgeous young Chow but realize they're not good with kids. We saw a Lab puppy online which is only 2 hours from here (don't know the price on him yet). But the kids just fell in love with Noah (that's his name). My husband got them all stirred up about getting them a Lab for free from one of his co-workers sometime this month or next. Now, he's saying that the lawn and plants will get all messed up and this will only end up being an extra expense and duty for us. The kids assure they will take full responsibility for it but hubby is not willing to budge. I see him iffy about this whole thing. Argh! The kids are up and down with their feelings on whether or not they are going to get this puppy. Sigh!

Old 09-17-2006, 02:29 AM   #13
Master Chef

Dina, I'm a big believer in making sure the pets you aquire are pets you can handle. Never, ever believe your children or husband are going to follow through on the care of pets you take in. If you can't do it yourself, don't let it happen if you can help it. Because there is always some excuse why they cannot do it after the first blush of pet-love wears off.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #14
Master Chef

Pet Lovers' Question

I was playing with a friend's collie the other day, and noticed that her collar was too tight (I guess you'd call the collie a teen-ager -- not a pup, but not fully grown, either). I mentioned it to another friend, and was just going to adust it myself. But then I noticed the collar was locked on, with some kind of box on it (they don't have a shock system in their yard, so I don't know what it was). Anyway, we went home and I forgot about it. The friend said she told them "Claire said this collar is too tight." When we got together tonight, the collar was correctly adjusted.

BUT I've known people who would get upset at such suggestions. Would you have said something or not (I didn't out of sheer forgetfulness).
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I was playing with a friend's collie the other day, and noticed that her collar was too tight (I guess you'd call the collie a teen-ager -- not a pup, but not fully grown, either). I mentioned it to another friend, and was just going to adust it myself. But then I noticed the collar was locked on, with some kind of box on it (they don't have a shock system in their yard, so I don't know what it was). Anyway, we went home and I forgot about it. The friend said she told them "Claire said this collar is too tight." When we got together tonight, the collar was correctly adjusted.

BUT I've known people who would get upset at such suggestions. Would you have said something or not (I didn't out of sheer forgetfulness).
Yes, Claire, I absolutely would have said something!! The e-collar, unfortunately is used for lots of 'behavioral' issues, like barking, jumping, etc., mostly by people I consider lazy owners who just don't want to take the time to be a real 'pack leader' to their dogs.

And to jump on another soap-box here, if you're considering buying a purebred puppy, please, please do some research; there are a lot of pups available from 'puppy mills' which are just disgusting breeding mills where dogs are bred indiscriminately. Also be wary of the 'pet breeder' who has a dog, and just wants it bred -to make some quick money - to let the kids have the experience of 'seeing a birth', or whatever. There are so many genetic faults coming up in virtually all the purebred dogs now because of this very reason. People don't do research into the sire's and dam's background and temperament; as a result, you have more dogs with hip dysplasia, fear-biting, and a whole host of other genetic deficits that just cause pain to the dog and heartbreak for owners. You need to know the health background, not just of your future pup's parents, but back 3 and even 5 generations.

Dina, right now, labs are a 'hot' breed; they're being bred indiscriminately just like the cocker spaniel was in the '50's; look at how they wrecked that breed. Labs are getting a rep for being fear biters; so that great reputation they used to have for being a 'family dog' is no longer true.

If anyone wants more info, let me know and I can point you to some websites for further reading.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
Master Chef

My 15 year old Whippet mix, Sheba is a carpet wetter these days. Makes me so mad, but, there isn't anything I can do. It's always in the same area, so, my carpet is stained, no matter what I do. I will wait until she is gone before I get a carpet cleaner again or I would be tearing up my carpet cleaning it all the time.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
Head Chef

I get so mad at my Toy Poodle Jolie. She is young a year last June 10th of this year. I was told that she will still will be a puppy until she is 2 years old. She is a terror but I love her anyway. They say that a dog is man's best friend because you can talk to them and they don't talk back.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I have an 8 yo Golden Retriever named Buddy. He is a real joy. It almost breaks my heart when I go somewhere and he can't go and he's looking at me with those big brown eyes. I always use a training collar with him because if I don't he won't mind when on leash. I seldom have to pull on the collar, just its presence is enough. He's very well mannered about everything except going to strangers. He's my best friend!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Dina, right now, labs are a 'hot' breed; they're being bred indiscriminately just like the cocker spaniel was in the '50's; look at how they wrecked that breed. Labs are getting a rep for being fear biters; so that great reputation they used to have for being a 'family dog' is no longer true.

If anyone wants more info, let me know and I can point you to some websites for further reading.
Absolutely. I want to make sure the dog we get is kid friendly. Can I get the website?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Here's one for you, Dina -

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/library/selectpuppy.html

and another -

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_adoptio...uying_a_puppy/

and one more:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/