Pets: What Do You Feed Them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feed my two cats similar to Bucky. I have dry cat food out 24/7. When they get hungry they just go over and chomp. As far as brand name..... I buy something different every month or so. Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance seems to be the best for them. But I also buy Purina One.
As a treat, I get a can of tuna for them. (in water of course) God, they LOVE tuna!
I'll give them raw beef, chicken, pork and fish too. One of them likes seafood more than beef, pork and chicken. :rolleyes:

I have a dog who has a collapsed trachea and will be on steroids for the rest of his life, as it looks now. He was overweight prior to this ailment, but now he's obsessed with food and has put on more weight. We have just switched him to the low cal Purina One and he seems to like it. We just have to be diligent about feeding amounts and cut out the treats. Matter of fact, I'm trying to do that myself, come to think of it.

One cat is happy as can be with just the hard food. My older cat, however, has a bit of a sensitive stomach, and most hard food makes him urp. We are trying Purina One for sensitive systems (both cats have to eat the same dry food) and canned food for the older guy. He pretty much eats the gravy off of the canned food and then turns his little gray nose up at the rest. I've tried every canned food under the sun with him, with similar results. He'll eat it for a very short time, and then only lick the gravy off. It's such a waste of money! I'm now trying to top the canned food with a bit of meat baby food to get some easily digested protein into him. I also cook a bit of extra meat for him when we have our dinner. He ate more of our last London broil than we did! He is truly a challenge.

BC

I feed all my dogs pedigree, I try to feed them every day twice a day...
I would starve if I had only one meal a day,I know dogs are different than people, so Maybe I feed them this way for my own peace of mind...
my birds I feed once a day kaytee seeds... my 2 smaller dog gets canned food, my 4 bigger dogs get dry. with treats in between... vet says to stay away from people food, so I do...

i was at the cat show in madison square garden a few years ago, and a keynote speaker gave a presentation on feeding your cat. he said that in the wild, cats only eat every few days, and it's pure, raw animal protein. so we as pet cat owners should do the same thing to keep them lean and healthy. he went on to say that you should only put out food once a day, taking it away after one feeding, and every few days give them a treat of a second feeding.
when he was done, during the question and answer bit, i immediately stood up and asked him " do you or have you actually lived with any cats?", which drew a knowing chuckle from the crowd.
if you value your furniture, carpets, drapes, bedding, and anything else you can tear, scratch, or pee or poop on, you will try to feed your cats as often as they wish...

I feed Jackson 2 times a day once at about 7 am and once about 6 or 6:30.
I give him 1.5C of Nature's Choice. It is a dry Lamb and rice formula.
Then he gets about 6-9 compressed rawhide sticks a day. These are his get in his crate treat. I think he would do anything for them

Special treats. After we would go do dock diving, sometimes we would stop at DQ and I will get him a kiddie cone filled just to the top of the cone. About 2 or 3T of vanilla soft serve and the cone.
I also buy Frosty Paws for him.
When I eat apples he will come and I will give him a few pieces of apple while I'm working on it.

Ofcourse, every once in a while he will get in the garbage. He likes to walk through the kitchen after I get done cooking.

I don't allow him to have people food. Face it I don't want to eat dog food because it is MADE FOR DOGS. People food is for people.

He also love dried liver treats and he gets his fair share of knee bones from Petsmart.

Buckytom - I LOVED your post.

While I do realize that there are a lot of folks who are convinced raw diets are the best for their pets, I personally find it revolting, & I have yet to find a vet who condones it.

Yes, it's true that a cat eating a mouse will also consume whatever the mouse has consumed yadayadayada. That same cat will also consume whatever parasites &/or diseases that mouse had consumed.

It absolutely boggles my mind that after years & years of pet research, people are leery of feeding their pets a healthy diet based on years of research. I also find it boggling that people jump up & down with glee as they toss their dogs & cats raw poultry & fish bones - all in the name of "good nutrition".

Well, at least they're keeping our emergency veterinary surgeons in business - lol!!!!

Binks and Boots

Binks and Boots get fed twice a day, 1/4 cup of Eukunuba. Treats are kept to a minimum. They both love fresh veggies... any veggies (except onions... they will make your dog sick). Cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, celery, broccoli, asparagus... I don't think I have come across a veggie they don't like. I also feed mint stems to keep their breath smelling fresh!

Back
Top Bottom