"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #91
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.
Until my phone died a couple weeks ago I had all my meds listed in the notes section under my doctor's name, the pharmacy name & my parent's ICE listing in my phone contacts. This temporary phone doesn't have a notes section. I even had a "medical" grouping in my phone so they would be easy to find. I get a new phone in a couple more weeks so I'll be sure I have a way to keep a list available. I always have my phone - I don't always have my purse.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm thinking it's a checks and balances thing, to make sure you are who you say you are, and not just trying to get high on someone else's thyroid meds. But utterly frustrating and stupid nonetheless.

I remember when DH tried to pick up my blood pressure meds for me, they wouldn't let him have them, I can't remember why. I called the pharmacy and complained, and they've been cooperative ever since.
If it were just checks and balances, they wouldn't have given a 'script for the wrong dosage.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #93
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

I'm thinking it's a checks and balances thing, to make sure you are who you say you are, and not just trying to get high on someone else's thyroid meds. But utterly frustrating and stupid nonetheless.
There are other things in my file that they could have asked to confirm my identity. DOB, emergency contact, address, phone number, last 4 digits of SS# ... any of these I'd know easily. Anyone who found an empty prescription bottle would have dosage & address. That's why I try to remove labels from discarded bottles.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat

There are other things in my file that they could have asked to confirm my identity. DOB, emergency contact, address, phone number, last 4 digits of SS# ... any of these I'd know easily. Anyone who found an empty prescription bottle would have dosage & address. That's why I try to remove labels from discarded bottles.
True. Then they're just plain lazy. I too remove labels, and shred anything with private info.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #95
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
Until my phone died a couple weeks ago I had all my meds listed in the notes section under my doctor's name, the pharmacy name & my parent's ICE listing in my phone contacts. This temporary phone doesn't have a notes section. I even had a "medical" grouping in my phone so they would be easy to find. I get a new phone in a couple more weeks so I'll be sure I have a way to keep a list available. I always have my phone - I don't always have my purse.
Do you drive without your driver's license? I always have my wallet, if not a purse. The small copies of meds are easy to stash in a wallet. And as you have discovered, sometimes something goes awry with a phone. Paper Rules!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #96
Sous Chef

I often stash my purse in the van when shopping and carry driver's license, credit cards, insurance cards & a $20 bill in a thin card carrier in my pocket. There isn't much of value left in my purse - brush, pens, receipts, cough drops, etc. As much other junk as there is in my van, it's easy to bury the purse out of sight. I carry my phone in a holster on my waistband.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #97
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Medication Lists, folks. It's important for you to have with you, at all times, a list of your medications. There's nothing worse than trying to remember your meds telling the emergency room nurse what you take as you are experiencing a heart attack!!!

I keep an up to date list on the computer and make several copies, when folded in half they are the size of a credit card. I print them out on colored paper so they are easy to spot and keep them in my wallet. Then I can hand folks a copy when they ask and always have a reference.
I'm so new to this PF. So I should carry it with me? I have never had to take prescription medicine before this. I have been on medicine for my under-active thyroid for about four months now. I guess it is not really a list. Just one medicine. Would you write it on a card to carry in my wallet? I know people who take all kinds of things, and they have a big long list. I am lucky to just have the one I guess.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm so new to this PF. So I should carry it with me? I have never had to take prescription medicine before this. I have been on medicine for my under-active thyroid for about four months now. I guess it is not really a list. Just one medicine. Would you write it on a card to carry in my wallet? I know people who take all kinds of things, and they have a big long list. I am lucky to just have the one I guess.
Yes, I would just write it on a card, your dosage and who your doctor is. Also any allergies you have. Trim the card to fit in a credit card slot in your wallet. Then you always have it with you when you leave the house.

While thyroid medicine is not as life and death as some heart medications, it's still a good habit to get into. Some medications are important for emergency personnel to know about.

I have over nine medications, it's much easier for me to hand over a copy of my list than it is to remember my meds and dosages...And Shrek's meds and all the meds my patients take. By the end of the day, it's hard for me to remember just what it is I take
Old 09-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Thanks PF. I just put it into my wallet. I guess it's a good habit to get into in case I have more meds in the future. Mom was on over 20 at a time. I hope I never get to that point. So far I have been fairly healthy.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I laugh when I renew my BP meds at the drivein med renewal. They always ask, "Is that the only prescription you need?". I tell them that one is enough.

Apparently, when you go beyond 50 years old, you're supposed to have more than one script.