Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so frustrated. My pre-owned TV that I've had over a year just turned itself off. Apparently for good. It had worked perfectly with a nice perfect picture.

A few days ago, it turned itself off, but came right back on when turned on with a remote or at the set. The only thing strange was that the closed captioning had to be turned on again. No real problem. I guessed maybe someone in our building had a remote that affected it. I think this happened about 3 times over an evening.

Tonight I was just waiting for the last few minutes to pass before Lie To Me came on. I hadn't changed the channel yet, nor had I even touched the remote when it just clicked off. However, this time it won't turn back on either way. The power light blinks red, sometimes twice, but no picture.

Fortunately I still have some money left, but not enough to buy a new set. I got this one for $45 at a pawn shop, and paid $10 for another resident to take me to find one.

Unfortunately, she has been gone for several days and I doubt she will be back until after Thanksgiving.

I guess I can read, but I don't have decent lighting without undoing the philodendron vine I have climbing up my tall lamp, and moving it over to the recliner's new location.

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so frustrated. My pre-owned TV that I've had over a year just turned itself off. Apparently for good. It had worked perfectly with a nice perfect picture.

A few days ago, it turned itself off, but came right back on when turned on with a remote or at the set. The only thing strange was that the closed captioning had to be turned on again. No real problem. I guessed maybe someone in our building had a remote that affected it. I think this happened about 3 times over an evening.

Tonight I was just waiting for the last few minutes to pass before Lie To Me came on. I hadn't changed the channel yet, nor had I even touched the remote when it just clicked off. However, this time it won't turn back on either way. The power light blinks red, sometimes twice, but no picture.

Fortunately I still have some money left, but not enough to buy a new set. I got this one for $45 at a pawn shop, and paid $10 for another resident to take me to find one.

Unfortunately, she has been gone for several days and I doubt she will be back until after Thanksgiving.

I guess I can read, but I don't have decent lighting without undoing the philodendron vine I have climbing up my tall lamp, and moving it over to the recliner's new location.

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have high speed internet? You should be able to find lots of stuff online.

I have internet, but after looking around I don't see where I can actually watch what is on right now.

Two other problems. I like to be able to watch TV and be online too, and the other problem is that the laptop speakers are high pitched and grate on my nerves.

I found that I could not sit in my office chair at my desk for more than a few minutes at a time without setting off a gradually increasing pain in the pinched nerve. I had started to move the laptop over to my recliner and use it in my lap. I finally decided my pinched nerve wasn't going to miraculously heal overnight, so I rearranged the furniture so that when I'm not online, I can just put the laptop back on my desk next to my recliner and not have to look at cords strung all across the room. It gets uncomfortable in my lap after awhile.

I do appreciate your trying to help, TaxLady.

Last edited:
Oh that stinks, Sally. I'm sorry! I know how important entertainment is.

At least I have Harry Potter. I moved the lamp and read until my back started nagging, then went to bed.

I woke up to my phone ringing and spent an hour talking with my BF. She asked me about making creamed spinach, so I told her to sign up with DC. She's a pip. Witty, funny, and a great cook too. She'll fit right in.

One quick and sometimes successful trick is to unplug the TV from the wall, let it set for about 30 seconds, plug it back in and then try turning it back on. What that does is resets the default settings and MAY reset the problem temporarily. I would give you a 60/40 chance of it not working, but a little chance is better than none.

I should probably move this to Venting on a Happy Note. I saw my go to maintenance guy today, and 7AM tomorrow morning he is bringing me a TV that is larger than this little one. $20!

He is the same one that found me this really great recliner and the twin bed I wanted. It took about a month to get the recliner, but the bed I got the same day I asked him. Each was $20.

Many people move out (or die) and leave furniture behind. Brian gives them to whoever needs them most and only charges a little. It is worth it because he finds it, and delivers it. Whew!

You are right Princess, entertainment is important, especially when you are retired and live alone. I'll be half way through The Goblet of Fire tonight, and it's a thick one.

Some people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just checking out a Columbia TV news Facebook page and saw that a funeral home in Columbia is giving out free turkeys this evening. I could not believe some of the stupid and disrespectful things people were saying. Of course there were a few jokes ("I wonder if they embalmed the turkeys?", etc.), but most of what was said were not jokes. Some assumed that they are storing the turkeys in the coolers where they keep bodies. Some said that there are a lot of other places giving away free turkeys, so no one should be "desperate" enough to get a turkey there.

What is wrong with people? Like I said, in response to what they said, it is a building. There is nothing spooky about it. I think it is great that they are making such a generous offer.

I don't fume very often, but I'm fuming now! At least there were a couple people who responded rationally, but the others were just ridiculous. I have noticed that there are a lot of very real superstitions about death down here.

Sheesh. :mad:Barbara

I am "Hot enough to *&^%!!!
I put my Stuffed Ham Sandwich plus a pound of it in the refrigerator at work today. When I went to eat my lunch, someone had opened my sandwich and didn't even bother to wrap it back up!!! I am real picky about that so I did not eat it and am getting rid of the extra pound I had bought. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? Boy did I go off. It will be a miracle if I don't get fired for all the &#^%^ words I was using before I get laid off next Tuesday. I am sure the whole third floor could hear me. Some asked if I had my name on the bag???WTF Why? so who ever would know who's lunch they were violating???? I drilled into my son's head while he was growing up "if it is not yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!". And this is susposed to be a professional organization........:stillshakingmyhead:

I am "Hot enough to *&^%!!!
I put my Stuffed Ham Sandwich plus a pound of it in the refrigerator at work today. When I went to eat my lunch, someone had opened my sandwich and didn't even bother to wrap it back up!!! I am real picky about that so I did not eat it and am getting rid of the extra pound I had bought. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? Boy did I go off. It will be a miracle if I don't get fired for all the &#^%^ words I was using before I get laid off next Tuesday. I am sure the whole third floor could hear me. Some asked if I had my name on the bag???WTF Why? so who ever would know who's lunch they were violating???? I drilled into my son's head while he was growing up "if it is not yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!". And this is susposed to be a professional organization........:stillshakingmyhead:
I agree with you completely. James won't bring anything to school and put it in the refrigerator because people take things. There is even a commercial on TV where a man takes a woman's frozen meal, cooks it, and eats it. She is mad that he took it, but the commercial makes it sound like you should expect others to take your food because it is so good. Nothing in the commercial even hints at the fact that it is stealing.

:(Barbara

I agree with you completely. James won't bring anything to school and put it in the refrigerator because people take things. There is even a commercial on TV where a man takes a woman's frozen meal, cooks it, and eats it. She is mad that he took it, but the commercial makes it sound like you should expect others to take your food because it is so good. Nothing in the commercial even hints at the fact that it is stealing.

They didn't steal it. Just opened it and who knows what else. At least it was left (wrapped in foil) open to warn me that it was messed with.

Last edited:

this is one for the books. when i was in the re-hab place my son brought me a huge sub. sandwich from my favorite italian place. it was so big that i ate it for two nights. had saved a piece of it for my last night there. it was in the staff fridge. had my name on it and someone took it. just about par for the course at that place. stealing is stealing.

I would make a huge beautiful sandwhich with wholesome bread, fresh green leaf lettuce and canned dog food. Plant that in the fridge and let the thief have a big ol' bite of that!:LOL:

Last edited:

I'm noticing several commercials like that. It is disturbing to know kids are seeing them. The one with the lady moving the divider on the grocery conveyor is just as bad- it encourages sneakiness and disrespect for others and their things. I just don't understand how anyone could let this get this far. You can protect your kids from shows you don't want them watching, but commercials are everywhere.

I guess this is a vent. I just received my wireless mouse. It works pretty good - mostly. It does have a tendency to wander or occasionally do the jitterbug. Mostly, when I go to point at something, it goes where I want it, but it's a bit unnerving at times.

I hope that if I can break my habit of following my reading with the pointer, it will settle down. I really need it. Because of the bad back, I have to use my laptop in my lap and the mouse on the arm of the recliner. Not having that cord crossing the computer is so much nicer, and when I move the computer to my desk, I can just leave the mouse where it is or put it on the table next to my right hand.

Like I said, not much of a vent, but it still feels good to express aggravations too.

Last edited:
i am having a hard time tonight not being angry with some people in my family. mostly about the dinner on thurs. at my granddaughter. first they are coming , then they aren't or they don't know how many in their family are coming with them. if it is making me crazy think of how my granddaughter is feeling. one just couldn't come at the announced time tomorrow at my other granddaughter's house. so everything has been moved an hour to suit them. agrrrrrrrrrrr.

i am having a hard time tonight not being angry with some people in my family. mostly about the dinner on thurs. at my granddaughter. first they are coming , then they aren't or they don't know how many in their family are coming with them. if it is making me crazy think of how my granddaughter is feeling. one just couldn't come at the announced time tomorrow at my other granddaughter's house. so everything has been moved an hour to suit them. agrrrrrrrrrrr.

I love my son dearly, but I've pretty much stopped relying on his word. We can't make plans with him because they are always changed multiple times, or never confirmed, or he will be late. I've told him that from now on, we are planning things and he is always invited and we want him to be there, sbut we're going ahead and it is up to him to make it. If not, maybe next time. He understands. He is a busy guy and so are we.

Back
Top Bottom