Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay! Here I was thinking it was just me, i used to be really fit from all the dancing no fat any where ... Sniff :( ,sorry just remembering the good old days lol and yea weighed 70kg and all my mates being like 50-60 kg. I always thought I was, well, An ogre.

But I had a moment the other day at work, i was bored and was going through old photos on FB of myself and seeing a photo from only 13months ago. That was my reality check. From here in out my life will be lettuce recipes 101! So no more joking around I'm doing it, losing weight that is. I think, well I'm very motivated now anyway! Lol
I need that photo of myself to look at constantly to keep me going, geez that sounds conceited!
But it true I get all depressed/ motivated and ill be good for a week but that's it. I'm gonna stick to it this time.... Really

You have a cheering section right here. So when you feel like you may backslide, drop in and we will help you get back on track. We love success and encourage those who have a goal. And we really do care about being here for anyone who needs support in any endeavor they are pursuing.

There are several folks here who are trying to lose weight and they are doing good. You mentioned dancing. Are you a fan of Dancing With The Stars? Well, look at the stars that have lost weight while in training. Try to get back into dancing again in some manner. Or find some activity that will help you reach your goal. Set weekly goals for yourself. Little ones. If you make them big goals and you are not able to reach it, you will get discouraged. If you reach your weekly goal and surpass it, you will have encouragement to continue. And everyone who is trying to lose weight has plateaus. That is your body adjusting to your new weight. Don't get discouraged.

Try to eat a salad about 20 minutes before you eat the main part of your meal. It takes that time for your stomach to realize that you are eating. When you start to eat the main part of your meal, your stomach won't want as much food as you used to eat. You will feel full before you even finish your plate. If you get tired of eating salads, eat an apple, piece of fruit, some nuts, or other food that doesn't require cooking. I used to keep some pieces of celery or carrots in salted water in the fridge for the kids to grab when they were looking for something to munch on while waiting for supper. It was a good way to tide them over. There are a lot of little tricks to keep you on track.

Good luck! :wub::clap::clap:

Yay! Here I was thinking it was just me, i used to be really fit from all the dancing no fat any where ... Sniff :( ,sorry just remembering the good old days lol and yea weighed 70kg and all my mates being like 50-60 kg. I always thought I was, well, An ogre.

But I had a moment the other day at work, i was bored and was going through old photos on FB of myself and seeing a photo from only 13months ago. That was my reality check. From here in out my life will be lettuce recipes 101! So no more joking around I'm doing it, losing weight that is. I think, well I'm very motivated now anyway! Lol
I need that photo of myself to look at constantly to keep me going, geez that sounds conceited!
But it true I get all depressed/ motivated and ill be good for a week but that's it. I'm gonna stick to it this time.... Really

Oh yes, like Addie said, we are more than willing to harass encourage you in your weight loss.

Its making me mental that every thread I try to read wanders randomly all over the place and bears little resemblance to the thread title.

although it's sometimes the meandering threads that turn out to be most interesting ones of all--and often enjoy a longevity that is lacking in some of the ones that stay true to a very specific topic.

Agreed. I'm not talking about those threads. I like those. I just get frustrated about stepping into what I think is going to be a discussion about a particular topic and its morphed off into a debate about something else. I find that a bit disrespectful to the person who has started the thread. I know it irritates me when I ask a question and am looking for specific answers and someone posts something irrelevant that takes the thread into la la land.

Its my own personal feeling, and I realize its petty and not everyone shares my feeling. That's why I posted here in venting. I needed to vent my petty irritation. I also realize I've likely upset a few folks with my comment. I'm sorry for that. I also post in haste occasionally. Forgive me folks, I did not intend to hurt feelings.

Agreed. I'm not talking about those threads. I like those. I just get frustrated about stepping into what I think is going to be a discussion about a particular topic and its morphed off into a debate about something else. I find that a bit disrespectful to the person who has started the thread. I know it irritates me when I ask a question and am looking for specific answers and someone posts something irrelevant that takes the thread into la la land.

Its my own personal feeling, and I realize its petty and not everyone shares my feeling. That's why I posted here in venting. I needed to vent my petty irritation. I also realize I've likely upset a few folks with my comment. I'm sorry for that. I also post in haste occasionally. Forgive me folks, I did not intend to hurt feelings.

I agree with you. Once a thread goes off topic it often becomes a private (not really) chat room for a few members. That's when I stop checking the posts on that thread.

I'm also bugged when someone answers a different question from what the OP posted. It doesn't take a lot of effort the read the OP.

Addie said:
You have a cheering section right here. So when you feel like you may backslide, drop in and we will help you get back on track. We love success and encourage those who have a goal. And we really do care about being here for anyone who needs support in any endeavor they are pursuing.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Oh yes, like Addie said, we are more than willing to harass encourage you in your weight loss.

Thx guys will keep you posted as too. How I'm going :)

My mom used one of those for years! Sprinkle a few pieces of clothing, roll them up, iron them, start over. :cool:
Oh, my gosh, I remember doing that. I ahd to roll them up damp and put them in the big freezer in the summer till mom decided to iron. And I too remember the smell of the iron on starched clothing. I also remember the frustration of having the spray starch bottle clog up and become unuseable kbefore it was half empty or before the ironing was done. Yes I know the run it under the water thing but it never seemed to work for me. Like I said before, Thank God for permanent press. What memories you guys invoke.

Hey guys HUGE RANT coming, apologies in advance.

I remember driving home with my mum when i was about 10 from a friends sleep over, just having witnessed my friend being extremely rude to her mother, I told mum that I would never speak to her that way, that I'd never make her feel like an embarrassment or be rude or obnoxious to her. I never have to this day, not only my mum but anyone. I have always prided myself on being someone that always thinks of others and their feelings first. Iv always been that really nice person even when someone's rude to me I bite my lip and let it go. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

Am I crazy?! Iv really begun to question this trait of mine lately. I'm sick of being treated like dirt and being spoken to, nay yelled at and sworn at and I'm really really over the backstabbers... Anyone needs some sharp knives? Just come on over iv got about 10 firmly implanted in my back.

I know deep down its just shallow bitter people that have nothing better to do then to make themselves feel better about themselves but hey that DOES NOT make me feel any better. It still hurts me.
Im not after pity or cuddles I'm just literally venting.
My bf always says just forget it, harden up, have a teaspoon of cement.
But I can't anymore maybe I'm getting to the last couple of straws that can be safely laid on my back, mayb I'll snap and tell that eye bulging, eat an apple through a tennis racket, bucked tooth Bit......
Sigh (a 1000 silent scream's)....... person to back the bloody truck up!

But you know what I'll end up feeling bad for doing that.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!?? Somebody seriously slap me now!!!

Last edited:
what irritates me are people who expect open discussions between intelligent people that we supposedly respect to stick to the topic at hand. (guilty as charged; but maybe not the intelligent part).

what was the tag line that deadly sushi came up with: discover cooking, discuss life?

relax and let go folks. why be so wound up?

if you feel yours or a thread you care about is going off course, sheperd it back to where you want (gracefully, of course). don't just shrink away in effete, silent dusgust. that's awfully pompass. but please yourself as you will, i guess.

you know, just like in real life.

btw, i'm not pointing out certain people that responded in this thread. i happen to really like and respect the folks that i happen to disagree with.

but i posted my rant, if you will, for the scores of people who are all in emotionally and sociologically at every turn, but also run from every teeny thing that displeases them.

Last edited:
You can disagree all you like BT. Venting is for venting after all. I also apologized for upsetting anyone. I like all the folks who take the threads off topic too and am sorry for hurting feelings.

Effete shrinking disgust...NICE! No really, THAT would get an A+ on any of my papers. I admire your way with words.

Vent noted. While I'm no longer annoyed, I stand by my statement that "intelligent people" can still be respectful of the OP. There is a place for rambling, and answering a specific question is not that place.

Someday BT, we need to meet in person and have a really good go around about something we can sink our teeth into. Religion? Euthanasia? Can't do much with politics as I don't think either of us know enough about the other's political system. Let's see if we can get our arses tossed out of a pub for yelling.

My dear, caring son & wife have just presented me with a cell phone. Aw, man! I know it makes them feel better to know that I have one, but - do I have to? Yick. :(

I called the person responsible for hall rentals and reported it. (Sounds logical so far right?) Well instead of saying thanks for the info I'll handle it, I got a blast about people blaming her and telling her what to do about the mess etc etc.
That reminds me of a job I used to have as a quality co-ordinator at a company. When I addressed areas of low quality reports, I was accused of things like finger pointing, even though the opinions I was addressing were not my own.

At least you were able to be cool enough to ask what the backlash was for. I was generally too shocked by the reactions of people to what was me just doing my job that I was tongue tied.

I'm trying very hard to take the high road and just accept that apology and move on. I'm still TICKED OFF though.
Yeah, tough one. When somebody flies off on one, it is hard to release the negativity we absorb from them. I am having a few problems with that at the moment too. It is the double edged sword of having to calmly deal with repeated outbursts from somebody and/or continued frustrating behaviour from them, and respond every time as if we are hearing this from them for the first time and truely believe they intend to sort it out, and not just appologise., or else if we ever return the negativity we receive it will escalate into an all out bad scene that will be harder to resolve if not impossible. Negativity is such a snowball!

My dear, caring son & wife have just presented me with a cell phone. Aw, man! I know it makes them feel better to know that I have one, but - do I have to? Yick. :(

Yes. If for no other reason that it will give them piece of mind. My sister resisted also. Until she ended up in a ditch of a freezing cold night. And she wasn't the driver. She couldn't call AAA fast enough. You may not think you need it until you are with someone out shopping with you and they may need help.

My son and I do my grocery shoppiing together. He takes one half of the supermarket and I the other half. When one of us is through, we can call the other with "Where are you now? I am all done. I will meet you at checkout number 7." Sure saves hunting the whole store looking for someone. That store is huge.

I don't keep my phone on all the time. But my kids know when it is on. If I am waiting for them to come pick me up, I turn it on. Sometimes they are running late. If I am sitting outside waiting for them, they let me know and I can go back inside to wait where it is more comfortable.

I also removed all the extras on my land line. No long distance, call waiting, call conference, caller ID or any of the other stuff I never use. As a result, my monthly land line bill is only $17.00 a month whih is mostly taxes. All those extras that I got rid of are free on my cell phone. I keep the landline for 911 calls only.

My daughter and I went to a mall. I was in one store, she another. I left the store I was in and called her to let her know. Sure saved time searching the whole mall looking for me.

And because I am living in elderly housing and on SS, I get my cell phone for free. And I still get all the benefits of folks who are paying $60 or more a month for their cell phone. Well worth putting up with all the "Yucks." :)

My first ever Rant......Gotta let off steam! My dearest friend invited me to go on a ski holiday at a resort 5 hours away from home. She has free accommodation at her brothers 3.75M vacation home. Her lawyer son and his girlfriend will be joining us. My friend asked me to drive as I have an all wheel drive vehicle. (I like driving that’s not a problem) She and I were concerned that we might be a little crowded with everyone’s bags, skis, boards, boots etc. but her son “pooh poohed” our fears and insisted that it was silly to take two vehicles, so we decided to take the bare essentials and buy food when we are about an hour away from the mountain. (extra crowded for only an hour is doable) Sonny boy wanted to leave Tuesday night after work, he lives 2 + hours away from us which would have us driving in the dark, not that big of a deal, but his mom said “no way we will leave early Wednesday. That was okay by me. I took Wednesday thru Friday off work, and have been working like the devil to meet deadlines that will occur while I am away.
This morning I get an email from my friend saying that “Son” has to do a deposition on Wednesday and doesn’t know what time he can get away……Of course she realizes that I have booked the days off and doesn’t want me to waste a day off waiting for him, so she is making it my decision as to whether we wait or go ahead. I feel like I am “damned if I do and damned if I don’t!! Whew! Now that I have it out I suppose it is trivial...........:blush: Thanks for listening

Last edited:
It shouldn't be your decision. He (lawyer) should have made the automatic decision that you all should go on Wednesday morning and he can come when he's available. You could lose a whole day of you wait when he doesn't even know how long he will be.

It shouldn't be your decision. He (lawyer) should have made the automatic decision that you all should go on Wednesday morning and he can come when he's available. You could lose a whole day of you wait when he doesn't even know how long he will be.

As a former legal secretary, he could have pleaded a court day and scheduled the deposition for another day. It happens every day. :rolleyes:

Its making me mental that every thread I try to read wanders randomly all over the place and bears little resemblance to the thread title.

I agree with you. Once a thread goes off topic it often becomes a private (not really) chat room for a few members. That's when I stop checking the posts on that thread.

I'm also bugged when someone answers a different question from what the OP posted. It doesn't take a lot of effort the read the OP.
I'll admit, I have joined in on some off-topic posts in threads, but I usually try to wait until the matter has been resolved, or I try to answer it at the same time. I do definitely agree though.

Andy, I agree wholeheartedly about the way some OP's questions are responded to. I see this all the time (obviously this is a made up food and not from a real thread):

OP: What is a good way to cook Brundlebum? The only way I will NOT cook it is fried.

Poster #1: Maybe instead of Brundlebum you should try Bottlebum.

Poster #2: You probably aren't frying it right. Here's my recipe for Fried Brundlebum...

Poster #3: Here is a recipe for a dessert that goes great with Brundlebum...

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

You can disagree all you like BT. Venting is for venting after all. I also apologized for upsetting anyone. I like all the folks who take the threads off topic too and am sorry for hurting feelings.

Effete shrinking disgust...NICE! No really, THAT would get an A+ on any of my papers. I admire your way with words.

Vent noted. While I'm no longer annoyed, I stand by my statement that "intelligent people" can still be respectful of the OP. There is a place for rambling, and answering a specific question is not that place.

Someday BT, we need to meet in person and have a really good go around about something we can sink our teetinto. Religion? Euthanasia? Can't do much with politics as I don't think either of us know enough about the other's political system. Let's see if we can get our arses tossed out of a pub for yelling.

lol, absolutely. can i use groucho marx's line about being thrown out of better places?

i think i understand drunk posting somewhat. i don't drink, but i shouldn't post when i'm bored at work in the middle of the night. :ermm:

as far as being respectful to the op, what about the people who've taken the subject off topic? they deserve respect as well. so i frequently join in the off topic banter, then post "ok, back on topic..." and then post what the op was discussing. it's simple really, without having to pick bunched panties out of anywhere.

lol, absolutely. can i use groucho marx's line about being thrown out of better places?

i think i understand drunk posting somewhat. i don't drink, but i shouldn't post when i'm bored at work in the middle of the night. :ermm:

as far as being respectful to the op, what about the people who've taken the subject off topic? they deserve respect as well. so i frequently join in the off topic banter, then post "ok, back on topic..." and then post what the op was discussing. it's simple really, without having to pick bunched panties out of anywhere.
All well and good, but how would YOU cook Brundlebum? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom