"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #1021
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I decided to look at the Best Buy on-line store before going shopping. The prices seemed pretty high so I tried Amazon. Bottom line, I took delivery yesterday of a new Panasonic microwave and took the time in the afternoon to actually read the booklet that came with it. I like it pretty well but it's bigger than my old one and my counter space was limited already. Plus, the old one had a handle and this one has a push-button opener. But I paid more for this one and hope it won't turn up its toes as quickly as the cheaper one did. I sure hate throwing away the old one, which looks brand new. I did find my receipt -- it was 3 years old almost to the day. My tempus sure fugits.
I wonder if it's the same model I got. Yes, big footprint, button to open the door. I really like it. Sensor reheat works really well, except with liquids. I just wish it had a temperature probe. Haven't seen one of those on a microwave in years. We had one on our old MW (though it quit working a few years ago) and it was great for reheating coffee or tea. I know how hot I want it. Depending on the temperature it has dropped to, it takes different amounts of time to get to 140 F, which is what I usually want.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #1022
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have an over the range Samsung, hands down the best microwave that I've ever used. 12 seconds softens butter perfectly with no melty spots. When we reheat, no flaming hot edges and cold middle. I didn't realize that any microwave could accomplish this feat!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1023
Certified Pretend Chef

We have a unique microwave problem. We like to keep it on a piece of counter between the fridge and stove that's 18" wide. We were fortunate to find a full power/full size microwave (1100 watts and a 13"-14" turntable) that fit because all the controls are across the top of the microwave door rather than on one side.

Now the display is shot so we have had to modify how we use it. We can't find a replacement. There are smaller, lower wattage compact microwaves but none with the same specs.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1024
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my "egg customers" called yesterday--wanted to pick up eggs today. I asked for a time so I'd have the eggs washed and ready (besides which, I have other things to do). She didn't get back to me. I was up at 4:00 a.m. with the old gal (my dog) and so decided I wanted a nap. No sooner had I fallen asleep when she showed up. What part of "what time will you stop by" was not clear? Is it to much too ask people to show some common courtesy? It is a holiday weekend...I don't JUST raise hens (they are a hobby/source of entertainment. And, they produce more eggs than I can eat--my fault, I acquired too many hens). Felt good to get that off my chest. Now let's see if I can fall back asleep for 45 minutes. Yesterday a friend let me know she'd be by around 2:00. I had conf calls, so I put a cooler out on the step with the eggs in it. Easy.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #1025
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wonder if it's the same model I got. Yes, big footprint, button to open the door. I really like it. Sensor reheat works really well, except with liquids. I just wish it had a temperature probe. Haven't seen one of those on a microwave in years. We had one on our old MW (though it quit working a few years ago) and it was great for reheating coffee or tea. I know how hot I want it. Depending on the temperature it has dropped to, it takes different amounts of time to get to 140 F, which is what I usually want.
It sounds like the same model, Taxy -- with an "Inverter" and Sensor Cook feature, which I haven't tried out yet. One of the reasons I chose it is the weight, which isn't bad for a unit this size -- if things need moving, I'm It. I'm going to try to use it for more than heating leftovers, which is all I did with the defunct m/w. Would love to have an over-the-stove, but that would have required more trouble and $$ than I could manage.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #1026
Head Chef

amendment -- not only leftovers; I nuke fresh vegetables frequently, but I know a m/w can do much more if you study up a bit. So often with today's bells and whistles, I just ignore programmable stuff and only do what I want the item to, not what it's capable of. That includes my car, and I shudder when I see the new car commercials with all the stuff on the dashboard.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #1027
Master Chef

Quote:
amendment -- not only leftovers; I nuke fresh vegetables frequently, but I know a m/w can do much more if you study up a bit. So often with today's bells and whistles, I just ignore programmable stuff and only do what I want the item to, not what it's capable of. That includes my car, and I shudder when I see the new car commercials with all the stuff on the dashboard.
I agree, all I need is an on and off button!

I thought I was going to have to give up driving when I bought the vehicle I have now. I had the old one for 13 years, we developed an understanding over the years. The new one is much more agile and has all sorts of things that I don't even touch. It took me six months to feel comfortable driving it!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #1028
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
It sounds like the same model, Taxy -- with an "Inverter" and Sensor Cook feature, which I haven't tried out yet. One of the reasons I chose it is the weight, which isn't bad for a unit this size -- if things need moving, I'm It. I'm going to try to use it for more than heating leftovers, which is all I did with the defunct m/w. Would love to have an over-the-stove, but that would have required more trouble and $$ than I could manage.
"Inverter Turbo Defrost" works quite well. It stops before the food is completely defrosted, which is much better than starting to cook it. There are enough instructions, that I keep the manual on top of the MW. We put ours on Ikea shelving. We don't have any spare counter space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130331_122832.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	17561  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #1029
Master Chef

Hoping today will come to an end!!!! Spent over 2 hours at the clinic to get The Pill, my washing machine decided to die on me, my daughter came home from her dad with lice (wonder if anyone will notice if he goes missing?!) this is only the 13th time it's happened in 2 yrs "aargh" and the list just goes on and on and on.......
It doesn't help having PMS from hell either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #1030
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Hoping today will come to an end!!!! Spent over 2 hours at the clinic to get The Pill, my washing machine decided to die on me, my daughter came home from her dad with lice (wonder if anyone will notice if he goes missing?!) this is only the 13th time it's happened in 2 yrs "aargh" and the list just goes on and on and on.......
It doesn't help having PMS from hell either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your daughter should not go to her Dad's until he can show he has gotten rid of the lice in his house. Is there any oversight to visitations? If there is, it needs to be brought to their attention.