Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, absolutely. can i use groucho marx's line about being thrown out of better places?

i think i understand drunk posting somewhat. i don't drink, but i shouldn't post when i'm bored at work in the middle of the night. :ermm:

as far as being respectful to the op, what about the people who've taken the subject off topic? they deserve respect as well. so i frequently join in the off topic banter, then post "ok, back on topic..." and then post what the op was discussing. it's simple really, without having to pick bunched panties out of anywhere.

Yep, I generally do it much the same way. I'm not saying we shouldn't go off topic (lord knows I do it often enough!) but return to it as well.

And who says there were any panties to get picked out of anywhere? :cool:

Oh lordy, we would get booted out for sure wouldn't we? Between the raucous laughter and singing and the occasional yelling match there aren't many places that would have us. What's halfway between us? I'm very afraid it will be in the middle of the godforsaken wilderness of Saskatchewan or North Dakota somewhere.

Yep, I generally do it much the same way. I'm not saying we shouldn't go off topic (lord knows I do it often enough!) but return to it as well.

And who says there were any panties to get picked out of anywhere? :cool:

Oh lordy, we would get booted out for sure wouldn't we? Between the raucous laughter and singing and the occasional yelling match there aren't many places that would have us. What's halfway between us? I'm very afraid it will be in the middle of the godforsaken wilderness of Saskatchewan or North Dakota somewhere.

Getting kicked out of North Dakota would be fine...:LOL:

My dear, caring son & wife have just presented me with a cell phone. Aw, man! I know it makes them feel better to know that I have one, but - do I have to? Yick. :(

Yes, you do!

I carry one when I leave the house and it has saved me more than once!

Take some time to make up a list of contacts and put the numbers into the phone's memory. I have things like the towing company, cab dispatcher, apartment lockout number, etc...

I have been stranded a couple of times and one short call has solved the problem but, you have to do a little preparation.

My biggest problem is remembering to keep it charged.

If you are prepared you don't have to tell your son and his wife about your little mishaps just make sure they pay the bill! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My dear, caring son & wife have just presented me with a cell phone. Aw, man! I know it makes them feel better to know that I have one, but - do I have to? Yick. :(

Not being one for all these newer technical gadgets they come out with every other month. I can understand why your not really into it, no you don't have to do anything. They love you and want you to be safe.

My Mother has Dementia & heart disease. It's getting worse by the month now. She knows her name, some people, but they have to be in her immediate daily knowing range for her to remember them. That excludes me.

What I found out yesterday was disturbing. My Mother announced that she was going for a walk. My sister said ok. Her usual walk is just up to the corner and back home. She's 82. When she wasn't back in 20 minutes my sister went looking for her. Couldn't find her. She walked 6 blocks and still no sign of Mom.

She came back home, was going to call the police to help find her and met up with her son who was just getting off work. Told him to go look for Grandma. I looked here. You go this way. My Mother had managed to walk through 3 busy intersections, multi lane I might add.

My Nephew found her in an out of the way alley talking with 2 older people. They were trying to help her. She knew her name, but didn't know her address. What she told them was an addy that she hasn't lived at since Dad died. Thankfully she told that man that my Nephew was her grandson, so he didn't get beat up. Thankfully. I appreciated the fact that they weren't going to let her leave with anyone until they had actual proof that she would be ok.

If my Mother had a cell phone that has GPS tracking Mom would have been found sooner, It was dark & cold outside outside by the time she was found. She was just in her own world, acting as though nothing was wrong.
She was 2 miles from home!

I'm going to get her one. Have my sister slip it into her purse, should she go for another stroll make sure it's on.

My sister absolutely refuses to look into a home for Mom.
I can understand that. But for safety's sake I think it would be the best thing. My Mother could have forgotten how to cross a street. God forbid hit by a car. Then it's not just about Mom and us, it's what about the driver? They have to live with it to. Losing one family member this year has been more then enough for me.

Munky.

Not being one for all these newer technical gadgets they come out with every other month. I can understand why your not really into it, no you don't have to do anything. They love you and want you to be safe.

My Mother has Dementia & heart disease. It's getting worse by the month now. She knows her name, some people, but they have to be in her immediate daily knowing range for her to remember them. That excludes me.

What I found out yesterday was disturbing. My Mother announced that she was going for a walk. My sister said ok. Her usual walk is just up to the corner and back home. She's 82. When she wasn't back in 20 minutes my sister went looking for her. Couldn't find her. She walked 6 blocks and still no sign of Mom.

She came back home, was going to call the police to help find her and met up with her son who was just getting off work. Told him to go look for Grandma. I looked here. You go this way. My Mother had managed to walk through 3 busy intersections, multi lane I might add.

My Nephew found her in an out of the way alley talking with 2 older people. They were trying to help her. She knew her name, but didn't know her address. What she told them was an addy that she hasn't lived at since Dad died. Thankfully she told that man that my Nephew was her grandson, so he didn't get beat up. Thankfully. I appreciated the fact that they weren't going to let her leave with anyone until they had actual proof that she would be ok.

If my Mother had a cell phone that has GPS tracking Mom would have been found sooner, It was dark & cold outside outside by the time she was found. She was just in her own world, acting as though nothing was wrong.
She was 2 miles from home!

I'm going to get her one. Have my sister slip it into her purse, should she go for another stroll make sure it's on.

My sister absolutely refuses to look into a home for Mom.
I can understand that. But for safety's sake I think it would be the best thing. My Mother could have forgotten how to cross a street. God forbid hit by a car. Then it's not just about Mom and us, it's what about the driver? They have to live with it to. Losing one family member this year has been more then enough for me.

Munky.

One of our resident's made it across the 4-lane to the department store and called her son, told him to come and get her, she had finally escaped. He called the facility and told us where to find her. Well-meaning visitors had let her leave with them. All of our doors require a code to open, just for those resident's who would like to go for a wander. Scary.

She now has a new bracelet...it sets off an alarm when she approaches the door.

PrincessFiona60 said:
One of our resident's made it across the 4-lane to the department store and called her son, told him to come and get her, she had finally escaped. He called the facility and told us where to find her. Well-meaning visitors had let her leave with them. All of our doors require a code to open, just for those resident's who would like to go for a wander. Scary.

She now has a new bracelet...it sets off an alarm when she approaches the door.

Not good, Munky! So glad you found her! The bracelet is a good idea, PF.

We have a nursing home close by, DH has picked up a resident or two determined to go to a neighboring town, and has delivered them back to the home.

I remember working as a candy striper in HS, we had a couple habitual escapees who enjoyed running nekkid through the wheat fields. Those old gals must have been track stars in their heyday.

Last edited:
The bracelet is a good idea.

We have a nursing home close by, DH has picked up a resident or two determined to go to a neighboring town, and has delivered them back to the home.

I remember working as a candy striper in HS, we had a couple habitual escapees who enjoyed running nekkid through the wheat fields. Those old gals must have been track stars in their heyday.

The only doors that do not have a code open onto two courtyards. We have to put the code numbers in roman numerals...they have Dementia and Alzheimer's, they are NOT stupid. One of our guys figured out the roman numerals...we had to post them across the hall up high so he couldn't see them to figure them out each time.

For a home situation, I always suggest a hook and eye up high. When the door won't open they give up. A picture of a Stop sign is effective sometimes, too!

The only doors that do not have a code open onto two courtyards. We have to put the code numbers in roman numerals...they have Dementia and Alzheimer's, they are NOT stupid. One of our guys figured out the roman numerals...we had to post them across the hall up high so he couldn't see them to figure them out each time.

For a home situation, I always suggest a hook and eye up high. When the door won't open they give up. A picture of a Stop sign is effective sometimes, too!

I think the hook and eye might be useful to restrict access to certain rooms but, I would not advise it on any home exit door, in case of fire.

I think the hook and eye might be useful to restrict access to certain rooms but, I would not advise it on any home exit door, in case of fire.

It restricts exit for the Alzheimer's victim, by the time a hook and eye are needed they have someone at home with them 24 hours a day. A good shove by someone able bodied will pop the eye from the door frame in an emergency.

At my daycare, you have to buzzed in or out. There are two secretaries that have a full view of the door through a window. There are deliveries being made all the time. People going in and out. When a house patient stands up they are sitting on a pad that has an alarm in it. Immediately, an aide is at their side. For the rest of us, you have to have a good reason to go through that door. I am one of the very few that is allowed to come and go as I please. I go and get coffee for some of them. I know who is not allowed to have sugar and other additives to their diet. And if I don't know, I ask. I often bring food that I have baked. Those go right into the office. Some patients are allergic to nuts.

You cannot assume that an Alzheimer patient or one with Dementia is no worse today than yesterday. Each day the disease is doing its dirty work.

Elderly folks are known for losinig their balance very easily. Broken bones are a definite reality. When you are out and about, at least a stranger or medics can look at your phone and see numbers to call. Enter numbers by relation. Daughter, son, doctor, not a name. I have my youngest listed as medical proxy. I also have my name taped on the back. So when someone calls one of my kids, they can give a name. "Hi, do you have a mother named ...." It saves time in an emergency. Every elderly person should carry a cell phone on them. And be grateful that your kids care enough about you to make sure you are safe when away from home. :)

Back
Top Bottom