Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LPBeier said:
I just got off the phone with the Hospice Society where Dad passed away. I have been holding onto a letter since the beginning of April offering support. I wanted to call but couldn't - Dad was only there for 8 hours, it is in the next city, and other stupid excuses.

After I vented here and read PAG's reply I just broke down. I was going to email so they would make the initial contact (I mean what do I say?). But I drummed up enough courage to phone and this delightful lady answered. The grief counselor had left for the day, but this lady kept me talking for about a half hour! She tried to put my mind at ease about leaving Dad the night he died and many other things. She has given me information for the Surrey Hospice Society which is only a few block from where we live, so I will try and call there Thursday or Friday (tomorrow is filled with many appointments). But I think I feel a little better for having reached out. She believes I need some one on one counseling and I think she is right.

This doesn't mean I am better, it just means I made a first step. Thanks PAG and PF - your hugs and concern mean a lot. I am hoping that one day in my life I can come out from under this cloud of depression once and for all.

I'm so glad to hear you are taking steps to help yourself heal.

LP,
you know how I feel about you Tony and dad. I'm so glad you had hospice to ease him through this. They were here for me and my dad too. Lord I'll always be grateful. They got me through a horrible thing that happened I'll tell sometime in PM but I'm still trying to not be angry and hurt about it. I hope I can forgive and forget before it's to late.You also know I love you so if you need me let me know.
ma

Thanks, everyone.

I did not make an appointment with hospice today. I had a lot of other things going on but I have to do it tomorrow. I was in the store buying a sympathy card for someone who just lost her husband to a pretty rough battle with cancer. I got to the sympathy card section and had a hard time even looking at the cards. We got so many for Dad and just seeing them brought back those memories. But I found a nice very simple card and managed to hold back the tears until I got to my car. It's funny, it took two months for the tears to come and now they won't stop.

Now another vent:
I went to the dentist about a chipped tooth and an abscess on my gum, and my dentist did a whole examination - I have a ton of work to be done. Now there is a catch to me having work done on my teeth. Because I have had a knee replacement (actually two on one knee in a month), I have to take a large dose of antibiotic before I can be worked on, and the visits need to be spaced apart. For many people you only need to do this for two years, but because there is still problems with the knee I have to do it for life. So, Monday they booked two hours to work on the abscess and start a root canal on the tooth beside the one that was chipped. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks for the abscess and then have two more hours. Then they will decide what to do about all the other little things wrong. We put off going to the dentist for so long because we didn't have coverage, and now we are both having our share of dental woes. Good thing our dentist is a long time friend! ;)

Now another vent:
I went to the dentist about a chipped tooth and an abscess on my gum, and my dentist did a whole examination - I have a ton of work to be done. Now there is a catch to me having work done on my teeth. Because I have had a knee replacement (actually two on one knee in a month), I have to take a large dose of antibiotic before I can be worked on, and the visits need to be spaced apart. For many people you only need to do this for two years, but because there is still problems with the knee I have to do it for life. So, Monday they booked two hours to work on the abscess and start a root canal on the tooth beside the one that was chipped. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks for the abscess and then have two more hours. Then they will decide what to do about all the other little things wrong. We put off going to the dentist for so long because we didn't have coverage, and now we are both having our share of dental woes. Good thing our dentist is a long time friend! ;)

I'm so lucky, now when I have a problem with my teeth I can just drop them off at the dentist, I don't have to stay:LOL::ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
I'm so lucky, now when I have a problem with my teeth I can just drop them off at the dentist, I don't have to stay:LOL::ROFLMAO:

OMG! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So this morning I went to turn on the lamp. I walked toward it and the stool was in the way. You know that middle toe that likes to stick out further than the others? Well I banged that nice healthy toe into the bottom of the wooden part of the stool. Don't worry, I washed my mouth out with soap. I did not break the toe, but darn close to it. I can still bend it. I did drive the nail into the nail bed. The toenail and the tip of the toe are now black. I put my fluffy slippers on. Again I had to wash my mouth out. The toenail go caught on the fluffies. I can wear my shoes but have to walk gingerly and with a decided limp. I swear, I will not die from a heart attack or some other hideous disease. But from my own stupidity. I guess I just hate feeling good and have to screw it up somehow. If I bend over will someone give me a good swift kick? :mad::mad:

So this morning I went to turn on the lamp. I walked toward it and the stool was in the way. You know that middle toe that likes to stick out further than the others? Well I banged that nice healthy toe into the bottom of the wooden part of the stool. Don't worry, I washed my mouth out with soap. I did not break the toe, but darn close to it. I can still bend it. I did drive the nail into the nail bed. The toenail and the tip of the toe are now black. I put my fluffy slippers on. Again I had to wash my mouth out. The toenail go caught on the fluffies. I can wear my shoes but have to walk gingerly and with a decided limp. I swear, I will not die from a heart attack or some other hideous disease. But from my own stupidity. I guess I just hate feeling good and have to screw it up somehow. If I bend over will someone give me a good swift kick? :mad::mad:
Addie, we must be related. I have done stuff like that so many times. No, I will not give you a swift kick - but all the big hugs you want! :heart::flowers:

Today I worked a 12 hour serving shift with no break. I was lucky I got to eat a few bites in between my tables. How can my managers think this is a good idea?? I have a pretty good game face, but man, I get so absentminded after the first 8 hours... I don't even ask for breaks anymore because if you insist on a break, they won't schedule you lunch-dinner shifts anymore, and that makes it almost impossible to get 40 hours. :/

Today I worked a 12 hour serving shift with no break. I was lucky I got to eat a few bites in between my tables. How can my managers think this is a good idea?? I have a pretty good game face, but man, I get so absentminded after the first 8 hours... I don't even ask for breaks anymore because if you insist on a break, they won't schedule you lunch-dinner shifts anymore, and that makes it almost impossible to get 40 hours. :/
What a bummer. It's sad when managers are so short-sighted.

When I worked as a supervisor at H&R Block, my receptionist wanted a lot of overtime hours. My manager phoned me to say he was nixing my schedule. I explained that she had asked for those hours and he said she couldn't have all of them because she would become inefficient.

I think you should document this abuse. I think you should ask/not insist for breaks. When you notice it, document what happens to other employees when they insist on a break. Is there a government agency that protects employees that you could contact?

Is the restaurant a franchise or company owned? I want you to think about taking this higher up, but I don't know if it is a good idea to actually rock the boat. If management keeps up this sort of stupidity, you will reach a point that you hate your job. What are your prospects of employment elsewhere in your area? Would the pay, etc. be as good?

Skittle, I agree totally with TL.

I don't know what it is like in the US, but having grown up working for my father, then being a manager and then a business owner, I have become pretty knowledgeable about labour laws here in Canada.

After 4 hours a staff member is not just entitled to a break, it is law. At 6 -7 hours you get two 15 minute breaks and at 8 hours you get 1 - 2 15 minutes and 1/2 to 1 hour for lunch/dinner. The 15 minute breaks are to be paid by the company but the larger break is usually unpaid.

I would seriously look into this, as well as documenting everything. Don't go to your managers with what you have learned about the labour laws, but ask for breaks and document their answers. Then take this as high up as you can.

Addie,
I'll give you that KICK!!!! Good grief girl don't you know to wear shores even in the house. First thing I had to learn when they said I had diabetes. I hated it and still don't like it but I have no leg or foot problems. Take care and I was kidding about the kick.
kades

LPBeier said:

I don't know what it is like in the US, but having grown up working for my father, then being a manager and then a business owner, I have become pretty knowledgeable about labour laws here in Canada.

After 4 hours a staff member is not just entitled to a break, it is law. At 6 -7 hours you get two 15 minute breaks and at 8 hours you get 1 - 2 15 minutes and 1/2 to 1 hour for lunch/dinner. The 15 minute breaks are to be paid by the company but the larger break is usually unpaid.

I would seriously look into this, as well as documenting everything. Don't go to your managers with what you have learned about the labour laws, but ask for breaks and document their answers. Then take this as high up as you can.

+1

LPBeier said:

The law only says that an employee must be allowed time to go to the bathroom at least every four hours, and if you work longer then 8 hours you must be permitted sufficient time for a meal break. It is against the law to make you clock out for your meal break if you are not relieved of all your duties. During the slow time when I only had one or two tables I was allowed to stand at a counter and eat, and I snuck in the back a couple times to sit down for two minutes at a time while they were eating. Being allowed to sit down for ten minutes would have been plenty of time- just to let my legs recover a little before the dinner rush, but like I said, if you complain they won't let you work a lunch and dinner shift in the same day. I would have to work 7 days a week to get the hours I need if I don't work a couple long shifts. I already hate my job. My managers are all young and inexperienced. It is a corporation, and I could complain to employee relations, but they aren't breaking any laws, they are just being unreasonable. Not to mention stupid, because breaks keep employees at their best. I would have been looking for a different job months ago, but my bf and I have been planning to move to another city, so getting trained in at a new job just to work there for a couple months, then having to do it all over again when we move, and having all that job hopping on my resume... I decided to just stick it out. I will be done there June 16th or 17th. I'm told the managers at the Red Lobster in the new city are more experienced and better to work with.

Last edited:
(((hugs))) Skittle. Hang in there. I understand about sticking it out for a limited amount of time. I don't know if it's your style, but when you get to the new city and job, you might want to say something to the effect of, "I'm so glad to get breaks. They really help my efficiency." if and when you get breaks. ;)

taxlady said:
(((hugs))) Skittle. Hang in there. I understand about sticking it out for a limited amount of time. I don't know if it's your style, but when you get to the new city and job, you might want to say something to the effect of, "I'm so glad to get breaks. They really help my efficiency." if and when you get breaks. ;)

Good idea :) I hear the general manager at that store is really nice. Our managers are nice too, but they have limited manager experience and just don't seem to know the value of treating their employees right. They treat us like robots.

We have similar laws in the US, but most places that I've waited tables at (especially corporate places) ask you to fill out a form when you are first hired that allows you to opt out of breaks. You can choose to opt out or you can decide not to, but if you do want the formal breaks it's as much of a pain for you as it is for your employer. You have to be taken out of the rotation, wait until your current tables are finished, take your break, and then return to the floor. In a normal single shift, that is a big hassle for the restaurant and other servers and costs the server taking the break quite a few tables and consequently quite a bit of money. However, a 12-hour shift isn't a normal shift and a manager with any sense is going to give someone a break between rushes, or at the very least, an informal break of a few minutes to sit down and grab a bite to eat. Sorry about your rough day, Skittle. :(

Back
Top Bottom