"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #11441
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
GG, you are absolutely right but we cannot control how others think. We can try to suggest and educate them - gently. It is incredible the number of emails I get from friends who want to "warn" me about ... whatever... but all they've ever looked at is the headlines. But there are an awful lot of people out there - that for all the preaching - will never get it.

Preaching with humour - with humour people are more apt to remember and because of that perhaps slowly start to believe.
Where have I said I can control anyone's thinking? Honestly, stop attributing to me things I have not said.

GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #11442
Chef Extraordinaire

Fair enough. But you know the adage about honey and vinegar.

buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #11443
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Fair enough. But you know the adage about honey and vinegar.
The last three years have been especially difficult for me and I'm not naturally a jokester. But I will try.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #11444
Chef Extraordinaire

I am humbled. Thank you. I know you have so much good info to offer.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #11445
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I am humbled. Thank you. I know you have so much good info to offer.
Thank you
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #11446
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bone Broth recipes use the vinegar to extract more minerals, not just the collagen, from the bones. Bone Broth has replaced my multivitamin. I only intake dietary calcium, so I need to get it from my diet. I use the bone broth for everything and it helps settle an upset stomach, better than an antacid.
Nowhere did I suggest others toss their multivitamins, I have tossed mine. I do think I should have said bone broth settles my upset stomach. As for all the other vitamins mixed up in a multivitamin, most are sub-optimal for excellent or even better than just good health. So I choose to take my supplements at optimal doses and not as supplements to my Supplement.

You really don't want me to go into vitamins A, D3, E, K2-MK7 and minerals Sodium, Magnesium, Chloride etc. that are needed just for bone health, let alone all the rest of the processes they are needed for. (and really don't want me to spout off about Coconut Oil - it's a miracle!) Between Dad and I, Mom says we sound like a National Enquirer headline with our statements.

I can tell you, that health-wise, I feel better than I have in years and have gone off a few medications for my diabetes and blood pressure by taking the supplements and my diet changes. I am in no way trying to change anyone, I'm reporting my experiences and if anyone is interested I can give you the book titles I've been reading in a PM. I don't find a need to prove myself to the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Unfortunately, there is no reliable research that this is true. A little bit of vinegar in a big pot of stock is a very weak acid that doesn't really extract more minerals, nor are minerals from bone broth a good source of the building blocks needed to build bone in people.

From https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....broth-calcium/

and from https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...-cure-all-here
Nope, it's not a cure-all, you still have to eat right. There is no magic pill or substance that will fix all our ills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The last three years have been especially difficult for me and I'm not naturally a jokester. But I will try.
I am aware of and am sorry that you go through the health challenges you have. Here's a joke to help:

A Nurse goes to write a check at the grocery store, she pulls a thermometer from behind her ear and remarks, "Hey some a**hole has my pen!"

I love you and you know it...so there!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #11447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Nowhere did I suggest others toss their multivitamins, I have tossed mine. I do think I should have said bone broth settles my upset stomach. As for all the other vitamins mixed up in a multivitamin, most are sub-optimal for excellent or even better than just good health. So I choose to take my supplements at optimal doses and not as supplements to my Supplement.
I know, but you know how people are ...

Quote:
You really don't want me to go into vitamins A, D3, E, K2-MK7 and minerals Sodium, Magnesium, Chloride etc. that are needed just for bone health, let alone all the rest of the processes they are needed for. (and really don't want me to spout off about Coconut Oil - it's a miracle!) Between Dad and I, Mom says we sound like a National Enquirer headline with our statements.
Ha, my doctors have already gone into that for me One laughed at me when I said I wanted to go sky-diving with our exchange student in 2007, when I was in the hospital with a protein level of about 2 and my vitamin D was undetectable.

Quote:
I can tell you, that health-wise, I feel better than I have in years and have gone off a few medications for my diabetes and blood pressure by taking the supplements and my diet changes. I am in no way trying to change anyone, I'm reporting my experiences and if anyone is interested I can give you the book titles I've been reading in a PM. I don't find a need to prove myself to the Internet.

Nope, it's not a cure-all, you still have to eat right. There is no magic pill or substance that will fix all our ills.

I am aware of and am sorry that you go through the health challenges you have. Here's a joke to help:

A Nurse goes to write a check at the grocery store, she pulls a thermometer from behind her ear and remarks, "Hey some a**hole has my pen!"

I love you and you know it...so there!
I love you, too
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #11448
Chef Extraordinaire

#*/#!! potholder shifted when I was taking our sheetpan dinner out of a 425 degree oven.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #11449
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
#*/#!! potholder shifted when I was taking our sheetpan dinner out of a 425 degree oven.
One of my favorite things... Happens too frequently to me..

Ross
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #11450
Chef Extraordinaire

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad...

You guys have odd feelings about favorite things.