Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I love the plastic jars. My ceramic tile kitchen floor can't bust them (although it's been known to crack a plastic lid or two). I use the empties to pour leftover oil into before throwing them away.

Personally I love the plastic jars. My ceramic tile kitchen floor can't bust them (although it's been known to crack a plastic lid or two). I use the empties to pour leftover oil into before throwing them away.

But I have to sterilize the jars in high heat...plastic will warp or melt and I have lost the 32 oz capacity I need to make my solution and keep it sterile. I don't think Shrek wants his saline with mayo...

PrincessFiona60 said:
But I have to sterilize the jars in high heat...plastic will warp or melt and I have lost the 32 oz capacity I need to make my solution and keep it sterile. I don't think Shrek wants his saline with mayo...

Yes. BBQ sauce sounds more his style. No mayo!

Well I basically just got a 50% or more pay cut. Red lobster is doing some restructuring, and I got bumped down from server to "service assistant", along with 6 of the other servers in Duluth. I wonder if my managers gave me a sh***y review because they knew I was going to St. Cloud. I only have to do it for 90 days before I get bumped back up, but I was hoping to save some money this summer for when I go back to school in the fall :( this is not helpful. The other awesome aspect of the change, is that it takes everything I don't like about serving and makes that my permanent job (bussing tables, making salads, walking food, drink refills, etc), and takes away the part I enjoy, which is working with the customers. I didn't even ask about it because it doesn't matter at this point, but my review definitely did not reflect the good feedback I've been getting over the last year, not to mention the multiple guest compliments I've gotten, the fact that the managers usually just wave me away and tell me I'm fine when I ask them to check my side work so I can go home (they know they don't need to check), that I've never been written up, I'm never late, help the other servers when they need it... Now I have to decide if I should just be broke all summer and not have any money saved when I go back to school, or try to work two jobs, so I'll be exhausted all summer, put in all the work of getting a second job and being trained in, and probably not stay there long anyway. This couldn't have come at a worse time. The money my bf and I had to put towards a deposit for a new place went to fix the transmission in his car (which he needed since he moved to st. cloud a month before I did). Now we have to sell it and get a beater car just so we can get an apartment. Seriously. Why does everything always have to hit the fan at once??

Last edited by a moderator:
That totally stinks, Skittle. I know how much you enjoy working with customers. It's a shame you aren't getting the appreciation or paycheck you deserve.

It will get better, most of us have been broke at one time or another. Glad you're continuing with school!

Dawgluver said:
That totally stinks, Skittle. I know how much you enjoy working with customers. It's a shame you aren't getting the appreciation or paycheck you deserve.

It will get better, most of us have been broke at one time or another. Glad you're continuing with school!

Lol yeah the program I want to go into has about 150 people trying to get in and they only accept 12. It's not a waiting list, not first come first serve, they pick 12 people. I'm going to a seminar in July that is just to tell us what to do to improve our chances of being accepted, which will hopefully discourage enough people to improve my odds (if I even decide I want to take my chances after that), then I have to take a year of prerequisites before I can even apply. So we will see about that too. Yet another wrench in the gears. Bf says life is never easy, but can you blame me for wanting it to be??

Skittle68 said:
Lol yeah the program I want to go into has about 150 people trying to get in and they only accept 12. It's not a waiting list, not first come first serve, they pick 12 people. I'm going to a seminar in July that is just to tell us what to do to improve our chances of being accepted, which will hopefully discourage enough people to improve my odds (if I even decide I want to take my chances after that), then I have to take a year of prerequisites before I can even apply. So we will see about that too. Yet another wrench in the gears. Bf says life is never easy, but can you blame me for wanting it to be??

I'm hoping being older and more mature will help my chances, rather than that being out of school for 8 years will hurt them ha ha

Skittle68 said:
I'm hoping being older and more mature will help my chances, rather than that being out of school for 8 years will hurt them ha ha

What program are you looking at?

Dawgluver said:
What program are you looking at?

Sonography. It seems like it would be a good fit for me because you need good people skills, it's interesting and you need to use your brain, and you don't have to deal with blood or needles lol. I'm thinking if I don't get in the first try I will go into x-ray instead, and try again the next year.

Sonography. It seems like it would be a good fit for me because you need good people skills, it's interesting and you need to use your brain, and you don't have to deal with blood or needles lol. I'm thinking if I don't get in the first try I will go into x-ray instead, and try again the next year.

Very good choice. Good luck!

Thanks!! It took me 8 years of putzing around after high school to decide to go back, but not everyone can be grown up at 18 lol. Plus now I don't have to report my parents income for financial aid (which is nice, since they never helped me with anything like that anyway), and I was told by the councelor there are some grants available for people who have been out of school for 7 years. Definitely will have to look into that. Hopefully I won't have to take the ACT's again or anything because it would be nice to use my old score of 31 (out of a total 34)

The downstairs toilet won't flush, because the tank won't fill. The flapper is old and wrinkly. I bought a new flapper, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I bought a case of beer. Stirling was too tired to bring the case in from the car and up the stairs, so I grabbed four of them. I dropped one in the hallway to my basement door. I mopped it up. I picked up and swept glass. I washed the beer spot to get rid of the beer smell. I stepped on glass. I had two teensy, tiny, little pieces of glass in my foot and it was a bugger to get them out. Heck, it was hard to find them. I have air conditioning, but it isn't really keeping up with the heat. It's definitely hotter outside, but it's not wonderfully comfortable inside.

Okay, enough crabbing for now. I feel better.
The downstairs toilet is working. :w00t:

I must not have installed the flapper right. I pressed it down a few times and now it holds the water in the tank until I flush. What a relief. I hate plumbing.

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished.

Called Mom today following our Mpls vacay last week. She's home now. We could only stay till Tuesday, Mom was at Baby Bro's till Saturday.

Got an earful about how we abandoned her, went off on our own to Costco without her, we didn't stay long enough at Baby Bro's, didn't get to the house early enough, left her with the DIL who ignored her, etc. etc.

I did not remind her of having to clean up the bathroom after she got sick. She slept through the first couple of days. I did not remind her of the wheelchairs I got for her, only to have her cancel them, then we had to reorder them. I booked her the wrong seats on the plane. Picked her up when she slid on the stairs at Baby Bro's. Played Step'n'Fetchit when she wanted her milk, toast, Coke, bought and lit her cigs for her, which weren't the right kind, BTW.

Her blasting really caught me off-guard. All I could say was, "Sorry you feel that way.". Reminds me of Festevus, and her airing all of her grievances. I may get her a pole.

Shriek!!!! Screammmm!!!

Hokay, I feel better now.

Last edited:
Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished.

Called Mom today following our Mpls vacay last week. She's home now. We could only stay till Tuesday, Mom was at Baby Bro's till Saturday.

Got an earful about how we abandoned her, went off on our own to Costco without her, we didn't stay long enough at Baby Bro's, didn't get to the house early enough, left her with the DIL who ignored her, etc. etc.

I did not remind her of having to clean up the bathroom after she got sick. She slept through the first couple of days. I did not remind her of the wheelchairs I got for her, only to have her cancel them, then we had to reorder them. I booked her the wrong seats on the plane. Picked her up when she slid on the stairs at Baby Bro's. Played Step'n'Fetchit when she wanted her milk, toast, Coke, bought and lit her cigs for her, which weren't the right kind, BTW.

Her blasting really caught me off-guard. All I could say was, "Sorry you feel that way.". Reminds me of Festevus, and her airing all of her grievances. I may get her a pole.

Shriek!!!! Screammmm!!!

Hokay, I feel better now.

I'm so glad my parents are reasonable and my MIL was the same, reasonable. I got lucky!:)

PrincessFiona60 said:
I'm so glad my parents are reasonable and my MIL was the same, reasonable. I got lucky!:)

I will have to hear the story of the normal parents sometime, PF.

I will have to hear the story of the normal parents sometime, PF.

I didn't say normal...reasonable is the word I used...:ROFLMAO: Mom is just like me only 17 years older, Dad is 18 years older and he's just like me, but is really smart in math.:LOL:

PrincessFiona60 said:
I didn't say normal...reasonable is the word I used...:ROFLMAO: Mom is just like me only 17 years older, Dad is 18 years older and he's just like me, but is really smart in math.:LOL:

So you all grew up together!

Back
Top Bottom