"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #1231
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
My mum has really painful arthritis in her hands/fingers and she has tried taking tablets but they really upset her stomach, so sadly she has to just put up with the pain, it hurts me to know that
A common problem. My sister used to take coated medication for hers. I too have coated aspirin that I take every day for my heart. Most people need to eat something before the take pain meds. It really helps.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #1232
Chef Extraordinaire

Ads, the tablets mum was taking were the NSAIDS called Mobic, have you heard of them?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #1233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ads, the tablets mum was taking were the NSAIDS called Mobic, have you heard of them?
No, but I have heard of NSAIDS. We have one here that is OTC called Aleve. A lot of folks can't take them on an empty stomach. They are really strong.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #1234
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, I have heard of that one

Before I had my shoulder surgery I was on Mobic too...the 15mg ones, very strong indeed
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #1235
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

All NSAIDS should be taken with food, they are hard on your stomach. Be thankful when you can take NSAIDS, they are the only thing that really helps my pain, but they interact with some of my heart medications so I can't take them anymore.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #1236
Certified Pretend Chef

Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflammatory Drug. This category covers a very wide range of drugs. Basically any drug the reduces inflammation, fever and pain that isn't a steroid. The list ranges from aspirin to some serious Rx drugs.

As PF said, you have to be careful and talk to your Dr. about possible interactions.

I'm fortunate that I don't need regular pain meds. so I just take acetaminophen (Tylenol). I asked my Dr. what I should take and his response was along the lines of 'Take whatever works for you. They're all about the same.'
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #1237
Executive Chef

Tylenol gives me an outrageous headache .. almost a migraine and it will last up to a week after taking just 1 Tylenol.

Aspirin burns my stomach.

Taking with food makes no difference at all with either of these.

This also goes for any type of med - cold or otherwise, prescription or otc that contains either of these.

Advil (or a store brand of the same thing) is the only thing that does not give me an adverse reaction.

Fortunately my consumption of that product might equal all of maybe 6 per year.

DH was told by his Dr that he is not to take anything other than Tylenol so his other meds don't get messed up.

Every person is different but the warnings apply to all.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1238
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I have Tylenol or Narcotics for what I am able to take...I've basically decided I would rather hurt than put up with some of the side effects of narcotics. I can take 2 Lortab (Vicodin) and be awake all night...they make me hyper.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1239
Master Chef

Quote:
My mum has really painful arthritis in her hands/fingers and she has tried taking tablets but they really upset her stomach, so sadly she has to just put up with the pain, it hurts me to know that
I belonged to a Welcome Wagon that had all kinds of smaller groups for members to get together. I'd go to regular "Stitch and Bitch" sessions - most times we did more talking and eating than stitching, but it was great fun! One of the women had bad arthritis in her hands and found something simple and medication-free that worked. She'd fill the bathroom sink with as hot of water as she could take and immerse her hands in there until the water cooled. Most times just one "bath" and her hands were good for hours. If your Mom's skin dries out easily she might want to do this with rubber gloves. I hope it helps her.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1240
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I bought my cat Iams senior cat food, since he's old and I was feeling nice. Apparently this food has made him extra barfy......

He's taken to barfing on the carpet in the basement. I can highly recommend Woolite pet stain spray. Sprayed that on the barfy stain, ran the carpet cleaner over it and it was like it was never there.

I guess that it is back to the 9 lives plus care urinary tract formula. Upside, it's a lot cheaper and he likes it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote