"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #1241
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I belonged to a Welcome Wagon that had all kinds of smaller groups for members to get together. I'd go to regular "Stitch and Bitch" sessions - most times we did more talking and eating than stitching, but it was great fun! One of the women had bad arthritis in her hands and found something simple and medication-free that worked. She'd fill the bathroom sink with as hot of water as she could take and immerse her hands in there until the water cooled. Most times just one "bath" and her hands were good for hours. If your Mom's skin dries out easily she might want to do this with rubber gloves. I hope it helps her.
I like a paraffin bath for feet and hands, the temp is just right, reusable and it does not dry out your skin. The therapists at work use this for our folks whose hands really hurt. Good for elbows, too.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #1242
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had just had surgery on my bad leg. I should have been in a wheelchair. I told the surgeon that all I wanted was to be able to dance just five steps at my son's wedding. Well I danced with the DJ, my son, my SIL, all the Albanian men and women, and anyone else who would dance with me. I danced the night away. Two weeks earlier there was talk of amputating the leg. The next day I couldn't even move my legs to get to the bathroom. Needless to say when I went for my next visit to the surgeon's office I told her what I have done. "Just five steps?" That was all she said about it.

Well that's me. Always pushing myself beyond what I should be doing. Since I can't kick myself, would someone do it for me? Please?
I've done something a little similar. I has to have a hysterectomy one summer. My work was having a mandatory meeting a week later, to the day. My doc tol me I could go only if I got someone else to drive and I came right home afterwards. It's about an hours drive to where I work and it was 110 in the shade - the middle of summer when I had it done. My mom drove me up there, so that was OK. She decided she wanted to stop and see my sister who lives in the same town and we had to go up stairs. Luckily there was a ramp that I could go down. By the time we were done I was hurting really bad and ended up having to take a pain pill on my way home. I got home and went right to bed. For the next week I could barely move.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #1243
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like a paraffin bath for feet and hands, the temp is just right, reusable and it does not dry out your skin. The therapists at work use this for our folks whose hands really hurt. Good for elbows, too.
Quite a few years ago I was introduced to paraffin baths. I have Osteoarthritis in my thumbs. It's amazing how much pain that can take away. True enough that it's temporary, but it's so worth it.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #1244
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been on the phone with my credit union's tech support trying to sort out why I cannot use online banking. Everyone has a different idea. No one has a solution. It has to do with the latest version of Java.

Finally had it bumped up to the really smart guy who will look into it and call me back Monday or Tuesday.

Meanwhile, SO's iPad gets me where have to go.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1245
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been on the phone with my credit union's tech support trying to sort out why I cannot use online banking. Everyone has a different idea. No one has a solution. It has to do with the latest version of Java.

Finally had it bumped up to the really smart guy who will look into it and call me back Monday or Tuesday.

Meanwhile, SO's iPad gets me where have to go.

I still use inline banking and it can be just as frustrating!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #1246
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I belonged to a Welcome Wagon that had all kinds of smaller groups for members to get together. I'd go to regular "Stitch and Bitch" sessions - most times we did more talking and eating than stitching, but it was great fun! One of the women had bad arthritis in her hands and found something simple and medication-free that worked. She'd fill the bathroom sink with as hot of water as she could take and immerse her hands in there until the water cooled. Most times just one "bath" and her hands were good for hours. If your Mom's skin dries out easily she might want to do this with rubber gloves. I hope it helps her.
Thank you CG, I will pass that onto mum
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1247
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Cheers Fi, will look into this too for my mum
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #1248
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, I have Tylenol or Narcotics for what I am able to take...I've basically decided I would rather hurt than put up with some of the side effects of narcotics. I can take 2 Lortab (Vicodin) and be awake all night...they make me hyper.
Me too. And I only take one at a time. But if I take the gabapentin with it, I can sleep through anything. The como knocks me out like today. Otherwise I would have the kitchen cleaned by now. I started to take my morning meds, and took the Vicodin with the Gab, waited about ten minutes for them to get into my system, and the next thing I know it is 4p.m.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #1249
Executive Chef

I just began using internet explorer as my browser for the first time since buying a pc with windows 8. I've never liked using ie. I have preferred chrome or even foxfire over ie because ie used to be so goshdarned pokey. well, ie has speeded up, and can now keep pace with both chrome and foxfire. my new beef with ie is that proper names and places are automatically capitalized with ie. i'm also noticing that my spelling/typing is being automatically corrected. I know it's no biggie, but to me, it is a minor irritant. I was finally getting around to making peace with the red underlinings of misspelled words. I don't appreciate having my posts micromanaged by my pc. and I still resent having the beginnings of my sentences reset to just one space instead of two. to my eyes, it looks and reads like a run-on sentence when only one space is separating one sentence from the next.

THERE, now I feel much better, having aired what might be the most petty vent ever recorded here....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #1250
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
I just began using internet explorer as my browser for the first time since buying a pc with windows 8. I've never liked using ie. I have preferred chrome or even foxfire over ie because ie used to be so goshdarned pokey. well, ie has speeded up, and can now keep pace with both chrome and foxfire. my new beef with ie is that proper names and places are automatically capitalized with ie. i'm also noticing that my spelling/typing is being automatically corrected. I know it's no biggie, but to me, it is a minor irritant. I was finally getting around to making peace with the red underlinings of misspelled words. I don't appreciate having my posts micromanaged by my pc. and I still resent having the beginnings of my sentences reset to just one space instead of two. to my eyes, it looks and reads like a run-on sentence when only one space is separating one sentence from the next.

THERE, now I feel much better, having aired what might be the most petty vent ever recorded here....

Try here

Spell Checking - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

Apparently this is a forum for Windows 8 users .. you might find other stuff there too ... good luck !!