"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #12501
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
I think once you got use to a Mac, you would find it intuitive. Using it in a class would not give you enough experience. You have to use it day-in/day-out.
One major problem was that the same symbol you use to minimize an app in Windows closed it on the Mac. You can imagine how frustrating that was. It really turned me off the software altogether.

Quote:
Not sure how Android is similar to Windows. Can you elaborate? I think it's closer to iOS than Windows phone/desktop. Yes, you can get a launcher/widget so you can have that Windows phone look if desired.

Also, apps generally cost about the same on iOS/android.
I honestly can't remember, but when I was looking for a smartphone for the first time, the Android seemed more familiar. I don't even know what a Windows phone looks like.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #12502
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know if you had Kimball's but how do these places compare to it? I like the big portions that Kimball's gives so we just share the kid size between the two of us. Also, why is Benson's at the top of your list over Rota Springs or Bogey's?

The only negative that I have about Kimball's is that they don't have as many unique flavors like Erickson's (Maynard)...
We've gone to Benson's twice. It's 75 miles from our house and getting there involves So Much Traffic. The most recent was at least five years ago. I know we went there specifically the second time because the 1) make their own ice cream and 2) use in-season produce. I really wanted a scoop of red raspberry, and we knew they had it. It was a huge scoop, it was delicious, and IIRC it cost almost $6. Worth every penny, but definitely in the "rare treat" column. Rota's, on the other hand, is just as delicious, just as generous, and a lot better priced. Bogey's...haven't been there for years, but I do want to go back so Himself can enjoy some Whitehouse cherry. There are also two "Ronnie's Seafood" stands close to us. They each have ice cream available, it is from some dairy since they don't make their own, and it is good.

However, even with all these great places to go, whether near or far, it's gotten to the point where I just stock up on pints of Graeter's Ice Cream when they're on sale. And by "stock up" I buy one to dole out between the two of us for two or (usually) three servings each (it's that rich) Or when they actually have salted caramel in stock, I buy two cartons - a caramel for me, and a black raspeberry chocolate chip for himself. Their ice cream is so very rich that, when we each have our own carton, I am perfectly happy taking my carton out of the freezer, scooping up a soup spoon's worth of ice cream, and putting the ice cream back into the freezer for another time...and not in five minutes. I mean a day or three later. It is so rich, but pricey when not on sale. Still worth the $$ when it's not, but I'm cheap.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #12503
Senior Cook

@CookingGoddess

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	36505
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #12504
Chef Extraordinaire

Ah, looks like someone got to Rota Springs Ice Cream. Am I right, bbq? I hope it was all I hyped it up to be.

And now I remember that we haven't gotten down to Bogey's for ice cream. Where has this summer gone???

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Old 09-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #12505
Senior Cook

Yup, you’re correct. It was a bit further than I thought it would be but still worth the trip. I was in my way to Rindge NH and decided to pick up ice cream as my way of contributing to dinner. Got two quarts: pumpkin Oreo and Java Lava. They were both tasty.

That area of Sterling is scenic. Also bought some corn and apples at a farm stand down the road from Rota Springs.

Here are some more pictures:

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	36513
Old 09-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #12506
Senior Cook

It seems that I’m only able to attach one photo at a time on iOS.

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	36514
Old 09-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #12507
Senior Cook

One last photo of the cows.

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	36515
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #12508
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...That area of Sterling is scenic...
Yes, it is. And you get to see a lot of that scenery while you drive the winding roads, trying to find your way back to where you need to be! One of our gripes about this part of the country is so many roads-so little signage. *sigh*