"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #1261
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to watch my piano teacher lift her hands off the keys and place them perfectly elsewhere on the keys without making a mistake. I so wanted to be able to play like that. By the time I was ready for my first recital, I didn't realize it but I was doing that when I was playing that night. I could play part of it and look up at the audience smiling without making a mistake. I didn't realize that I was even doing it. It wasn't until much later when my teacher showed me her home movies of that recital, that I saw me doing it.

I have always lacked confidence in myself. I guess I still do. I have always admired someone else who had accomplished something that I thought I could never learn. And over time when I reached the same level of expertise I didn't even recognize that I had arrived. It was the same wth reading. I never recognized that I was the best reader in the class. Why else would my fourth grade teacher have me read to the class on the last hour every Friday. I didn't even realize that I loved reading until the fifth grade.
Addie, thank heaven someone recognized my reading ability when I was quite young. My math ability is, well, I'll be nice, poop. But somewhere long about 4th grade, someone said, that gal can read. They actually sent me to a speed reading class. I don't use that skill on a regular basis, but do read more quickly than the average bear, reading 3-5 books a week. My library is (and always has been) my best friend, along with used book stores and Amazon.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #1262
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Addie, thank heaven someone recognized my reading ability when I was quite young. My math ability is, well, I'll be nice, poop. But somewhere long about 4th grade, someone said, that gal can read. They actually sent me to a speed reading class. I don't use that skill on a regular basis, but do read more quickly than the average bear, reading 3-5 books a week. My library is (and always has been) my best friend, along with used book stores and Amazon.
My math is right down the toilet. Unless I have a piece of paper and a pencil right there in front of me, well, you better double check my figures just to be sure.

But reading! When I look back on the fourth grade, I realized I loved reading to the class. Not because I was showing off that I was the best reader, but I was sharing something I really loved doing. I could make Tom Sawyer and his girlfriend Becky sound like they lived right next door. A lot of Fridays I had only a page or two to finish for a chapter and those kids sat there until I had to stop. They never rushed to get out of that classroom. I must have been doing a really good job. I think I am going to see if our local library has a reading program for kids. The good weather is here to stay and the library can accommodate my scooter.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #1263
Master Chef

Libraries LOVE their volunteers! If they don't have that kind of reading program, suggest it to the library director. I've volunteered under a couple very different ones but they've always been more than happy to have a volunteer suggest and take charge of an idea. You'll get way more out of it than you put in too. Just one of the blessings of volunteering.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1264
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
I just began using internet explorer as my browser for the first time since buying a pc with windows 8. I've never liked using ie. I have preferred chrome or even foxfire over ie because ie used to be so goshdarned pokey. well, ie has speeded up, and can now keep pace with both chrome and foxfire. my new beef with ie is that proper names and places are automatically capitalized with ie. i'm also noticing that my spelling/typing is being automatically corrected. I know it's no biggie, but to me, it is a minor irritant. I was finally getting around to making peace with the red underlinings of misspelled words. I don't appreciate having my posts micromanaged by my pc. and I still resent having the beginnings of my sentences reset to just one space instead of two. to my eyes, it looks and reads like a run-on sentence when only one space is separating one sentence from the next.

THERE, now I feel much better, having aired what might be the most petty vent ever recorded here....

Interestingly I feel completely the oposite. I prefer the ie to chrome and for sure the firefox. I like my misspleings highlighted for me to see, as I usually have tons of them. Go figure.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #1265
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My furball had developed a liking to behind a chair in our living room while having an episode of UTI. Unfortunately there was (and never will be) a litter pan back there. Someone in a pet shop recommended "Nature's Miracle" cat formula. Even on hot, humid day we can't tell the little bugger was having issues. *poof* all smell is gone.
My mom swears by Petzyme and Nature's Miracle. It's the enzymes that kill the odor, and it never comes back.

Luckily Oscar has not yet peed on the floor.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #1266
Master Chef

Grrrr, now not only I am mad about my own problem, but after typing up all about that problem this page lucked up and then all together closed on me, now I have type again.
Anyways, I hate dealing with friends. Below is the picture of my latest project that I build for the synagogue, the tablecloth was ordered from the alteration shop owned by my friend. All the dimensions were discussed and written down. When I came to pick it up it is smaller by 3-5 inches on all dimensions. I am sure nobody will ever know the difference and it looks just fine and nice as is, but never the less I wanted the thing to be bigger and I am paying for it too. It was not for free. I am a wimp of course; anybody else in my place would go back and demand to have the cover remade. I just cannot do it. I think most of all I am mad at myself, I suppose if it was somebody else, somebody I do not know, I would, but cannot do it to a friend.
why can't I upload the picture? weird
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #1267
Master Chef

Ok, maybe this will work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00115.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	17901  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #1268
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ok, maybe this will work.
Nice looking shop. With that equipment you should be able to make some deluxe pastry / dough boards to go with your KA 7 quart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pastryboard.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	17902   Click image for larger version

Name:	doughboard.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	17903  

Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #1269
Executive Chef

oh Charlie, i'm sorry that you are unhappy with the dimensions of the table covering made by your friend. first off, I must say that this piece is truly a thing of beauty, made with considerable skill and artistry. it is rich and sumptuous looking, very striking. it looks as though the top portion has been made to conform to the dimensions of the table itself. the accented border is a lovely feature. to my eye, the table and the tablecloth are nicely proportioned. in a larger size, a covering that substantial might actually appear top heavy on your table, imo....:)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #1270
Master Chef

Thanks Vit, it was only supposed to be 2-3 inches longer and 2-3 wider.
That is the stupid thing, I gave all the dimensions.