Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate when somebody tailgates me. I keep a nice 2-3 second following distance in good weather.

We went to a party downtown. I was followed, on the highway, for about 5 km, by some doofus who was following me so closely that I couldn't see her headlights in my rear view mirror! This was at 80-100 km/hr (50-62 mph). I don't think it was a Quebec driver. I tapped my brakes and that didn't make the driver give me more space. In Quebec the majority of drivers who tailgate, mean it. They want you to go faster. If you don't speed up, they will almost always pass you as soon as they can. If you do speed up, they won't maintain the short following distance. This person had lots of opportunities to pass, but didn't take them. A number of drivers exited, so I had a chance to speed up. The driver promptly caught up with me and got just as close again. I don't think she knew it's not safe to tailgate. grrr

Driving home from the party was a PITA too. Not only were there weaving drunks, I got another tailgater driving as close as the first one. That's not something I see often. But, I think this one was local. A tap on the brakes and the vehicle passed me.

Road closures for construction didn't make the drive any nicer. The interchange for the highway I wanted was closed and then the stretch of highway near my house (A40) was closed, so I had to take the other east-west highway (A20) that's further from my house. Of course, it was busier than usual since loads of other people couldn't take the A40 either. I really would have preferred to take the A40, because the street that goes down to the A20 from my house is under construction and there's about 2 km of one lane per direction, where there are usually three lanes per direction.

I didn't find out that the highway and interchange were closed until I was heading for the highway entrance. Grrrr

were these 2 lane highways, taxy? one lane in each direction? if so, there's no excuse for tailgating, and passing only when the lines in the road allow for it.

were these 2 lane highways, taxy? one lane in each direction? if so, there's no excuse for tailgating, and passing only when the lines in the road allow for it.
No, this was divided, limited access highway. There were three lanes per direction most of the way. Passing in the fast lane would have been easy.

there was a left lane open in your direction and people still tailgated? sheesh! va fa napoli.
Well, the first one would have had to wait for a few cars to go by. The second one didn't have to wait, and did just pass.

I don't get it. Isn't it scary to drive that close to the car in front of you?

Well, the first one would have had to wait for a few cars to go by. The second one didn't have to wait, and did just pass.

I don't get it. Isn't it scary to drive that close to the car in front of you?
I have had a couple friends who are really bad about that. If I am in the passenger seat, I often find myself saying, "I'd really love to meet the people in front of us, but not right now!" :wacko:

i've driven in nyc almost everyday since i was 18, and yes, so long as you can see 2 or 3 cars ahead of you through or over the car in front of you, it's easy to drive in the flow of traffic pretty closely. vision is key, though.

i mean, if there's no room to pass, then sit back. but if theee's multiple lanes, i would hope slower drivers would stay right.

there's always some butthead faster than you, so it works as a rule for the most part.

Taxy, I feel for you...I cant stand tailgaters :mad:

We get so many of them over here it is sickening!

I am the same, I like to keep a good 2-3 second gap too....but it just doesn't stop other idiots tailgating

I just stick to the speed limit and if they dont pass me, that is their problem

I refuse to speed up for them and risk myself getting a fine for speeding, while they are behind and get away with it...no way!

i've driven in nyc almost everyday since i was 18, and yes, so long as you can see 2 or 3 cars ahead of you through or over the car in front of you, it's easy to drive in the flow of traffic pretty closely. vision is key, though.

i mean, if there's no room to pass, then sit back. but if theee's multiple lanes, i would hope slower drivers would stay right.

there's always some butthead faster than you, so it works as a rule for the most part.
Driving in NYC scared us to death! We found a hotel as quickly as we could and never went near our car until we left four days later! We took cabs and the hotel's cars! I know it is different when you are used to it, and I used to drive on the freeways in San Diego County all the time (not like NYC, but not like SC either), but since we both moved to South Carolina, we have gotten used to a different style of driving.

The ones that make me crazy are the one's who pull up behind you in town, flashing their lights to make you go faster and the right lane is clear. Sorry I have a left turn to make ahead and I'm not pulling into the right lane. This is town driving, not the highway.

I refuse to change my speed for a tailgater. I'll tap my brakes and that works sometimes. I pull over to let them pass when I can.

In my experience, around here young women are the worst tailgaters. Not all of them and not all the time. Just my observations.

I'm with you, Andy!
Don't let the tailgaters get their way!

Tailgaters make me soooo mad. Following that closely is SO dangerous, and they are too unintelligent to understand it. And if that wasn't enough, they are also usually the ones that text while driving.. with their headlights in someones trunk.

Shame on their parents who failed at teaching them proper manners and common sense!

I refuse to change my speed for a tailgater. I'll tap my brakes and that works sometimes. I pull over to let them pass when I can.

In my experience, around here young women are the worst tailgaters. Not all of them and not all the time. Just my observations.

Don'tcha just luv Boston drivers? After all we do own the road. And it is always a race to see who can get killed at a rotary. Yield means nothing to us.

My daughter works for the RMV and she is a good driver simply because of her job. If she were to get into an accident that was her fault, she would lose her job. One time when we were out, we came upon a fight starting from road rage. We were stopped at an intersention. She took a right, even though it was the opposite direction of where we were going. No way did either one of us want to get involved with that. I am so glad I don't drive.:)

A few years ago we were in LA for a couple of days before a cruise, and we rented a car. I was a bit concerned about the freeways, but found them a breeze, compared to driving in and around Boston. We drove from Long Beach to Hollywood, to the griffith observatory, to Santa Monica, to Malibu, about 300 miles in a day and a half. Both the freeways and surface streets were a breeze. I was actually surprised at how laid back the drivers were compared to Boston, DC, and other cities that I've driven in.

I agree Andy. I figure that if I speed up for a tail gater, I am reinforcing bad/dangerous behaviour.

There are two situations when I change my speed for a tailgater.
1) It's making me nervous, so I slow down.
2) It's an 18 wheeler (doesn't happen often) and I can't change lanes. I don't argue with 18 wheelers. I know who comes out 2nd best in that argument. :ermm:

Well, my eye surgery had again been scheduled for the end of the month on the condition that the surgeon or the anesthesiologist calls me first. So far all I have received in a notice in the mail.

About forty years ago I had an abscess in my rectum. I was in the OR on the table. The doctor who was giving me the anesthesia told me I would be getting sleepy. He was right. I was sleepy, but not asleep. He told the surgeon OK. I felt him making the incision. I let out a scream and came off that table so fast. The instrument cart went flying. There I was stark nekkid in the middle of the room with blood running down my leg into a puddle on the floor. I had nightmares for months after.

I want to be put to sleep. But I don't want to wait until I am on the table again and find that they are not willing to put me to sleep. So all I have at this time is just the piece of paper that I received in the mail. I don't understand why someone in that department can't take five minutes out of their day and call me. The nightmares have returned after all these years. I find myself sleeping in the chair sitting up. I don't go into a deep sleep and the nightmares don't come. I will not agree to the surgery until I talk to someone in the eye surgery department. If someone doesn't call me, I am going to ask my doctor to give me a referral for Mass. Eye & Ear. Years ago when I used to go there for all my eye problems, they were the first to diagnose the cataracs. I asked if they would put me to sleep for the removal. Without any hesitation, they told me yes. They didn't want a patent who wasn't totally relaxed. I will have probably lost my vision before this is resolved. I find myself crying every time I start to think of this mess.:ermm:

Last edited:
I agree Andy. I figure that if I speed up for a tail gater, I am reinforcing bad/dangerous behaviour.

There are two situations when I change my speed for a tailgater.
1) It's making me nervous, so I slow down.
2) It's an 18 wheeler (doesn't happen often) and I can't change lanes. I don't argue with 18 wheelers. I know who comes out 2nd best in that argument. :ermm:
I agree!

My dad didn't teach me to drive, but one thing he did teach me is to never let the person behind me (whether driving or stopped at an intersection, etc.) make me do something stupid.

This reminds me of something I read years ago in Reader's Digest. A guy was stopped at a busy intersection. The light turned green, but he didn't go. The guy behind him started laying on the horn. Finally the man in front got out, walked back to the car behind him, and pointed at the old lady slowly crossing the street in front of his car. He held his keys out to the guy and said, "You hit her. I don't have the heart." :LOL:

bakechef said:
A few years ago we were in LA for a couple of days before a cruise, and we rented a car. I was a bit concerned about the freeways, but found them a breeze, compared to driving in and around Boston. We drove from Long Beach to Hollywood, to the griffith observatory, to Santa Monica, to Malibu, about 300 miles in a day and a half. Both the freeways and surface streets were a breeze. I was actually surprised at how laid back the drivers were compared to Boston, DC, and other cities that I've driven in.

LA drivers really are laid back. I don't remember having many problems with tailgaters out there. Here is a different story. I just don't understand it. Why endanger yourself and others when there is obviously a line of cars, and you can't make them go any faster?? NOBODY ever says "I LOVE when people tailgate me!" and yet so many people do it. Some people do have different ideas about what's tailgating and what's not, but come on, when you are less than a car length behind, I just cannot imaging someone thinking that is safe and ok. My bf follows a little too close to people sometimes, but nothing crazy. I pointed out one time that he's not going to get there any faster, and it wouldn't hurt to leave a little more room, and he seems to be a little better about it now.

I have to say, it's not like the individual has to create their own definition of tailgating tho. That's what the 3 second rule is for.
(When you're moving at least)

Back
Top Bottom