Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A new vent. I am going through all the stuff from Dad's desk and drawers. It is bringing back some emotions and memories, good and bad.

We have kept Dad's phone line in case there are people who may call that we may have forgotten. Since we

Last edited:
A new vent. I am going through all the stuff from Dad's desk and drawers. It is bringing back some emotions and memories, good and bad.

We have kept Dad's phone line in case there are people who may call that we may have forgotten. Since we

I guess my new vent is my phone sent this too soon and it took me so long to finish my edit time was up!

Since all we have been getting lately is spam calls, DH had the number cancelled as of the end of this month. It isn't actually a separate line any more, but a second ring on our own line so we couldn't just unplug the phone.

So, I was going through some papers and came across my Mom's death notice and certificate just as Dad's line rang. The woman asked for Pat, which was my Mom's name. It was actually for the wife of a family who had the number over four years ago and we have been getting their calls all that time - friends, collection agencies (including for the phone company ironically) you name it.

But it was just a bad time and I broke down. DH called the phone company and asked to have the number removed from our line IMMEDIATELY. The tech said they can't do that because we are paid up until the end of the month and they can't refund the difference. It is June 26 and the cost of the ring is $2.50 a month. I think we can survive the loss. :mad:

I will be so glad when I have gone through all of this. There will always be memories, but hearing my Mom's name on my Dad's phone was a little tough. I shouldn't let it bother me.

LPBeier said:
I guess my new vent is my phone sent this too soon and it took me so long to finish my edit time was up!

Since all we have been getting lately is spam calls, DH had the number cancelled as of the end of this month. It isn't actually a separate line any more, but a second ring on our own line so we couldn't just unplug the phone.

So, I was going through some papers and came across my Mom's death notice and certificate just as Dad's line rang. The woman asked for Pat, which was my Mom's name. It was actually for the wife of a family who had the number over four years ago and we have been getting their calls all that time - friends, collection agencies (including for the phone company ironically) you name it.

But it was just a bad time and I broke down. DH called the phone company and asked to have the number removed from our line IMMEDIATELY. The tech said they can't do that because we are paid up until the end of the month and they can't refund the difference. It is June 26 and the cost of the ring is $2.50 a month. I think we can survive the loss. :mad:

I will be so glad when I have gone through all of this. There will always be memories, but hearing my Mom's name on my Dad's phone was a little tough. I shouldn't let it bother me.

Oh honey, I'm sorry. I miss my mom so much some days too. Losing your parents is like losing part of yourself. {{{{{{{{LPBeier}}}}}}}

Thanks, Chopper. My Mom has been gone for 17 years, and while I have always had times where I miss her, ever since Dad passed in March there are just so many reminders of both of them.

I don't need wrong numbers to make it worse.:(

On the good side, I found a picture of my parents (one of my all time favourites) where they were in Indian costumes my Mom made for a hallowee'n party. She was such a great seamstress, cook, craftswomen, writer, painter, etc. I think I got my creative side from her. I think she would be proud of what I have done - she died long before culinary school.

Oh, I have to stop - the tears are falling again.

I'm pretty sure that is considered working off the clock. I cannot imagine that forcing you to study on your own time for a job being legal.

I hate that companies set a dress code, requiring specific items that have to be purchased through them, at often inflated prices. One company that I worked for required $23 polo's, and they were terrible quality, needing to be replaced every 6 months or so.

Here in Massachusetts, THEY HAVE to pay for your required schooling. Studying at home from their material doesn't count. And THEY HAVE to pay for any required uniforms. They don't have to pay for laundry unless they have a contract with a specific business. You should look into what the law is in your state. It would come under your Labor Department.

When I worked for an overhead door company, they required all workers had to wear their T shirts with the company logo on them. In the winter they had to wear an outer jacket with the logo also. When we had a new hire, along with their W-2 information I had to take their sizes and add them to the list. Then twice a year a large box would arrive with the clothing in it. Two T shirts with their name were given out to each employee. The rest had no names on them. They were also required to wear dark blue pants. But since they were run of the mill work pants and could be worn anytime outside of work, they had to buy them themselves. In the summer months, most of the men opted to buy shorts.

When a new hire came on the job, and if we didn't have a shirt and jacket in their size, they bought them themselves and the company reimbursed them. :)

Addie said:
Here in Massachusetts, THEY HAVE to pay for your required schooling. Studying at home from their material doesn't count. And THEY HAVE to pay for any required uniforms. They don't have to pay for laundry unless they have a contract with a specific business. You should look into what the law is in your state. It would come under your Labor Department.

When I worked for an overhead door company, they required all workers had to wear their T shirts with the company logo on them. In the winter they had to wear an outer jacket with the logo also. When we had a new hire, along with their W-2 information I had to take their sizes and add them to the list. Then twice a year a large box would arrive with the clothing in it. Two T shirts with their name were given out to each employee. The rest had no names on them. They were also required to wear dark blue pants. But since they were run of the mill work pants and could be worn anytime outside of work, they had to buy them themselves. In the summer months, most of the men opted to buy shorts.

When a new hire came on the job, and if we didn't have a shirt and jacket in their size, they bought them themselves and the company reimbursed them. :)

I imagine studying the menu at home like I had to do, would be considered unpaid work, and is probably against the law. But I know in MN they can make you buy pretty much whatever uniform they want, or you can just work somewhere else. It's not the first restaurant I've worked at that made me buy my own company branded, way too expensive shirt. They usually do provide you with the first one tho.

Here I sit with the fire alarm going like mad. Not one person in the building is paying attention to it. "Why?", you ask. Because this is a common occurence. Some idiot burnt toast and allowed the smoke to get out into the hall and set off the main alarm. If it was a real fire, it would have set off the sprinklers. Even the fire department is in no hurry to answer the alarm. The fire house is up the street and I still haven't heard the sirens. The alarm has been ringing for five minutes and tied directly to the fire department. Idiots! I am surrounded by idiots! Keep your door closed if you burn the toast or open your windows. :rolleyes:

DH called the phone company this morning and they can't remove my Dad's smart ring number from our line. Why? Because they say it isn't our number. :mad:

He quoted our bills which show we have been paying for it. He mentioned we are still getting calls on it. He even told the woman to call the number and see who picks it up - they can't do that because it could be breaching someone's privacy.

To really rub salt in the wound, she was able to tell him that the number (which was a separate line for my Dad for almost four years) has been registered to someone else for "many years" and never registered to us. That would be the people who's calls we have been getting.

Does that mean we can go after them to refund every penny we paid for it? :ermm:

Addie said:
Here I sit with the fire alarm going like mad. Not one person in the building is paying attention to it. "Why?", you ask. Because this is a common occurence. Some idiot burnt toast and allowed the smoke to get out into the hall and set off the main alarm. If it was a real fire, it would have set off the sprinklers. Even the fire department is in no hurry to answer the alarm. The fire house is up the street and I still haven't heard the sirens. The alarm has been ringing for five minutes and tied directly to the fire department. Idiots! I am surrounded by idiots! Keep your door closed if you burn the toast or open your windows. :rolleyes:

I agree. Having a "boy who cried wolf" situation when it comes to a fire alarm is not good. In the house I grew up in, the fire alarms were wired together, so if one went off they all would, and one night the alarm woke me up. I got out of bed and grabbed the quilt my grandma made me and my favorite sweater, and felt my bedroom door. It wasn't warm, and there was no smell of smoke, so I opened the door. No sign of fire... So I go to the next room and grab the 3 kittens and wrap them in the blanket. My parents got a good laugh as a creeped down the stairs wearing pajama pants and my favorite sweater, with the 3 kittens wrapped in a blanket and mama kitty following behind. The chimney had clogged and the basement was full of smoke lol. No fire :) I still have one of those kitties that I was trying to rescue, although mama kitty has long since passed. She was a stray I rescued, and was spayed after that litter.

DH called the phone company this morning and they can't remove my Dad's smart ring number from our line. Why? Because they say it isn't our number. :mad:

He quoted our bills which show we have been paying for it. He mentioned we are still getting calls on it. He even told the woman to call the number and see who picks it up - they can't do that because it could be breaching someone's privacy.

To really rub salt in the wound, she was able to tell him that the number (which was a separate line for my Dad for almost four years) has been registered to someone else for "many years" and never registered to us. That would be the people who's calls we have been getting.

Does that mean we can go after them to refund every penny we paid for it? :ermm:

That (the phone company) is just ridiculous.
Just don't pay the bill and when they cut off service and request the mailing address for the owner, give them the location of the cemetery and the location within the cemetery where he is buried (if he was). Also remind them at that time, that sending an invoice to his casket would be a breach of privacy for him and a good newspaper article for the local news.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Does the phone company have an ombudsman with whom you could speak? Does BC have a consumer protection agency?

That (the phone company) is just ridiculous.
Just don't pay the bill and when they cut off service and request the mailing address for the owner, give them the location of the cemetery and the location within the cemetery where he is buried (if he was). Also remind them at that time, that sending an invoice to his casket would be a breach of privacy for him and a good newspaper article for the local news.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Thanks, Blissful. It isn't really about the money. Not at all. It is about the fact we get spam calls and have, for four years gotten calls for the people who had the number prior to Dad. They had collection calls, friends, etc. who all didn't seem to know the family no longer had the number. I mentioned earlier that the wife of the family has the same name as my Mom and this always shook up Dad, and is really hard for me now.

Does the phone company have an ombudsman with whom you could speak? Does BC have a consumer protection agency?

TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.

TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.
A phone company ombudsman should be able to straighten it out without too much aggro.

LPBeier said:
Thanks, Chopper. My Mom has been gone for 17 years, and while I have always had times where I miss her, ever since Dad passed in March there are just so many reminders of both of them.

I don't need wrong numbers to make it worse.:(

On the good side, I found a picture of my parents (one of my all time favourites) where they were in Indian costumes my Mom made for a hallowee'n party. She was such a great seamstress, cook, craftswomen, writer, painter, etc. I think I got my creative side from her. I think she would be proud of what I have done - she died long before culinary school.

Oh, I have to stop - the tears are falling again.

I'm also shedding tears for you too. I hope this phone mess can get cleared up soon. Sometimes things are just so much harder than they should be.

Back
Top Bottom