Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.
An acquaintance had that problem with satellite TV. Have s/one else "pretend" to be you and demand to be escalated to the VP of customer experience and explain to him the situation. To get to this person, you will have to go through about 3 levels to get there, but just telling the person "no, I don't want to talk to you, I want to talk with the VP of Customer Experience. Escalate me." Get out of the overseas call center. The acquaintance had to send a copy of the death certificate FOUR times before the contract for satellite TV was cancelled. Get your DH to do it, or a dear friend.

Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation!!
By the time I reached 40 I've forgotten most of the rules.

I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that.

I end sentences with a preposition and I *should* be able to be able to rewrite it correctly, but, I can't.

So if you ever quote me and I've written something incorrectly, feel free to fix it and maybe I'll learn something. Think of it as charity towards old people.

I saw this and had to share.
images

blissful says, "I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that."

Is that helpful blissful? If you would like more help with grammar (its one of the things I teach) just drop me a PM. Or you could cheat and just use the Grammar check function on your computer. ;)

blissful says, "I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that."

Is that helpful blissful? If you would like more help with grammar (its one of the things I teach) just drop me a PM. Or you could cheat and just use the Grammar check function on your computer. ;)

Why, yes it is helpful, especially since I'll be watching my posts get fixed from now on. (Is that ending a sentence in a preposition?)

I seem to learn best when being embarrassed in public. (seriously)

MS Word does have grammar checking, though, they don't explain anything in any detail. I write a lot of passive sentences.

Finally have a nice weather day where I can open the windows and what do I hear but the parrot who lives across the street, squawking. The lady who owns it, puts the darn thing in the window and he makes that awful sound all day long.

Why, yes it is helpful, especially since I'll be watching my posts get fixed from now on. (Is that ending a sentence in a preposition?)

I seem to learn best when being embarrassed in public. (seriously)

MS Word does have grammar checking, though, they don't explain anything in any detail. I write a lot of passive sentences.
The dangling preposition is one of my pet peeves. However, common usage has moved this usage to being commonly accepted. Personally, I try to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition because it can introduce ambiguity. I also hate the dangling it. What is that, you ask? That is when there is no anaphoric or cataphoric reference for the proform it (most people will call the proform a pronoun, but I'm trained in linguistics and we call it a proform). (Anaphoric reference is pointing back to replace the last noun the proform replaces, cataphoric is pointing forward to replace the next noun. Cataphoric reference is a technique used in literature and often not used well.)

PS-get your minds out of the gutter, boys. I know what you were thinking when you read "dangling it.":LOL: Not THAT it.

The dangling participle is perpendicular to the crennalated preposition when used in conjunction with a properly used formulated adverbial pronoun. The ancient grammarians found this to be particularly true when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

The dangling participle is perpendicular to the crennalated preposition when used in conjunction with a properly used formulated adverbial pronoun. The ancient grammarians found this to be particularly true when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

My favorite part, nurse dear, was the ancient grammarians part.:LOL:

The dangling preposition is one of my pet peeves. However, common usage has moved this usage to being commonly accepted. Personally, I try to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition because it can introduce ambiguity. I also hate the dangling it. What is that, you ask? That is when there is no anaphoric or cataphoric reference for the proform it (most people will call the proform a pronoun, but I'm trained in linguistics and we call it a proform). (Anaphoric reference is pointing back to replace the last noun the proform replaces, cataphoric is pointing forward to replace the next noun. Cataphoric reference is a technique used in literature and often not used well.)

PS-get your minds out of the gutter, boys. I know what you were thinking when you read "dangling it.":LOL: Not THAT it.

OK, now you're just showing off!

(I would have dangled a preposition off the end of that sentence if I knew what a dangling preposition looked like.)

blissful said:
Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation!!
By the time I reached 40 I've forgotten most of the rules.

I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that.

I end sentences with a preposition and I *should* be able to be able to rewrite it correctly, but, I can't.

So if you ever quote me and I've written something incorrectly, feel free to fix it and maybe I'll learn something. Think of it as charity towards old people.

I saw this and had to share.

Lol- I've only been out of school for 8 years and I'm already forgetting!! Luckily I am pretty naturally good at English, but sometimes things come up where I'm just not sure anymore. I took college English in high school, and only got one question wrong on my ACT's in the English section, so I don't like not remembering grammar rules!

I find that today's language has changed so that the written word is more like how we actually talk.

Especially here, in a situation where our words are more converational. I punctuate like I learned, except for the one thing that I always thought was wrong. When the period is for the whole sentence which happens to end in a quote, I put the period outside the quotation marks, because it has nothing to do with the quote.

For instance: I like "Today's Funny". I use this for parenthesis as well.

Last edited:
I wonder why we call it English....I think it oughta be called American because the vernacular here is quite different that it is in England. There are many instances of terms and phrases that translate differently, even though we share a common language with England as well as Australia (which I suppose should truly be called the Australian language).

'Course they say that Chinese is the most difficult language to learn, but in a language where a fat chance and a slim chance means the same thing...I wonder it that's entirely true. :LOL:

I find that today's language has changed so that the written word is more like how we actually talk.

Especially here, in a situation where our words are more converational. I punctuate like I learned, except for the one thing that I always thought was wrong. When the period is for the whole sentence which happens to end in a quote, I put the period outside the quotation marks, because it has nothing to do with the quote.

For instance: I like "Today's Funny". I use this for parenthesis as well.
That is how the Brits do it. It is called logical punctuation. I do that too. I consider it more accurate. Most computer programmers do it. If you get that wrong in a line of code, it ain't gonna work right.

Back
Top Bottom