"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #1391
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, they don't do that any more. Car makers are much better at preventing rust these days. Getting your car undercoated is dead.
I told ya I wasn't no car person!

Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #1392
Executive Chef

Today' temp was in the 80's.....I won't vent about warm weather, but I will complain that the air conditioning at work was not working today. My office was 84F all day long. We have no opening windows on our floor. The repair company showed up at about 4PM. It still wasn't fixed by the time I left at 5:20. I'm hoping there will be a change by morning.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #1393
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Today' temp was in the 80's.....I won't vent about warm weather, but I will complain that the air conditioning at work was not working today. My office was 84F all day long. We have no opening windows on our floor. The repair company showed up at about 4PM. It still wasn't fixed by the time I left at 5:20. I'm hoping there will be a change by morning.
Sometimes we complain about there being too many laws on the books. But here in this state, they must send you home if the temp in the office reaches a certain degree. Or if it drops too low. There has been many times I have loved that law. In that kind of heat I can't breath due to COPD. I would be leaving the building in an ambulance.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #1394
Master Chef

Just had to replace my microwave oven. Husband out of circulation because of oral surgery. Got it in and plugged in. "Aren't you glad you married a strong woman?" "Yeah, that's why I married you." (compliment or no?) The petty gripe is that when I set the clock, I didn't realize it was a 24 hour clock (and, yes, I have no problems with that, having much military experience and living in Europe as a kid). But now it is 4 a.m. and my clock says 1600. OOoops! I set the clock at 2 p.m. and set it for 0200 without realizing it. Oh, well, try again!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #1395
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here and Windows decides it is just the right time to install an important update. It shuts down my computer and when it comes back, I can't even get my home page. So I went in and did a restore. Oh great. It wiped out all my saved email for DC. I also had some important names and addresses that I was going to add to my contact list. Gone!

This is more than a Petty Vent but not quite a Raging Angry Vent. Dang close to it though. I hate Windows!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #1396
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I purchased an around the neck fan for work. Darn betcha they are going to supply the batteries. The office is generally around 90 degrees or more!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #1397
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sitting here and Windows decides it is just the right time to install an important update. It shuts down my computer and when it comes back, I can't even get my home page. So I went in and did a restore. Oh great. It wiped out all my saved email for DC. I also had some important names and addresses that I was going to add to my contact list. Gone!

This is more than a Petty Vent but not quite a Raging Angry Vent. Dang close to it though. I hate Windows!
Ads, buy a Mac...then you wont have to deal with Windows

I love my Mac Mini and the OP system on it is so good and easy to use
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #1398
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Ads, buy a Mac...then you wont have to deal with Windows

I love my Mac Mini and the OP system on it is so good and easy to use
Yeah, but a Mac will cost about three times as much.

Addie, since you probably don't have to have any software that only runs on Windog, you could consider running Linux on your current computer. You can get just about any software you might need for free for Linux.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #1399
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, but a Mac will cost about three times as much.

Addie, since you probably don't have to have any software that only runs on Windog, you could consider running Linux on your current computer. You can get just about any software you might need for free for Linux.
I'm with you taxlady I'm not sure how they can justify the price of a mac. The operating system is great, but the hardware itself isn't anything special that only they have, most is the same stuff that you'll find in a pc. I've built a pc, and it's cool being able to completely customize it.

I run Linux on an old laptop in the kitchen, it's a really solid operating system and Free!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #1400
Master Chef

Himself gutted our old tower and put Ubuntu in. Connected it to the big flatscreen and watches Hulu etc on it. Works great. And yes, it's free!