Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Microftsoft Office Program corrects all my grammar for me, including the pucuation. But I am usually spot on. I just have to apply myself. Working for a lawyer, I HAD to learn proper puncuation. Typing up a brief for the Judges sitting in the Massachusetts Supreme Court, everything had to be absolutely correct. A misplaced comma could change the meaning of the whole paragraph. :ermm:

Today, I don't[ care very much. As long as I get the message across.

I find that today's language has changed so that the written word is more like how we actually talk.

Especially here, in a situation where our words are more converational. I punctuate like I learned, except for the one thing that I always thought was wrong. When the period is for the whole sentence which happens to end in a quote, I put the period outside the quotation marks, because it has nothing to do with the quote.

For instance: I like "Today's Funny". I use this for parenthesis as well.

If you're quoting someone's statement, there should be the punctuation for that statement inside the quotes and punctuation outside the quotes for the sentence the quote is part of. (is this a dangling preposition?)

I was surprised when she asked, "What's the thing in the basket?".

If you're quoting someone's statement, there should be the punctuation for that statement inside the quotes and punctuation outside the quotes for the sentence the quote is part of. (is this a dangling preposition?)

I was surprised when she asked, "What's the thing in the basket?".
Yes, and in logical punctuation:

Did she say, "Good morning"?

ARRRRRRGH, just a bad day, I want to crawl into a hole and hide.
Nothing specific wrong or bad.
Woke up crabby, and then the dogs are insistent on being PITA's, Jo (the woman I am a live in aide for) is getting on my nerves. Nothing specific, you know how sometimes you just live with someone too long, and just their breathing gets on your nerves? That is how I feel today.
Crying, super sensitive, I want to get out of the house but I can't.
Maybe I should just run nekkid down the street, hehe

I wonder why we call it English....I think it oughta be called American because the vernacular here is quite different that it is in England. There are many instances of terms and phrases that translate differently, even though we share a common language with England as well as Australia (which I suppose should truly be called the Australian language).

And Canada? :rolleyes:

If British English is the primary language, don't the American, Canadian, Australian, etc. versions of English qualify as dialects?

How about "North American English"? (We already call it American English in the US, so why not lump Canada in there, too?) :D

Canadian English is not like British English OR American English. It is a combination of both, with a little of our own thrown in for good measure.

I worked for the government in a data admin department where we collected and posted import opportunities for BC exporters. My direct supervisor was British and a librarian. Our boss was American and a technology expert.

They would have horrid arguments (literally) over whether it should be "labour" or "labor", "centre" or "center", etc.

I, graduating from a Canadian University with a BA in English and French, finally said - Why don't we just use Canadian rules.....to which they stared at me, shrugged their shoulders and never brought it up again. :LOL:

"I wanted to go to the Theatre Arts Centre, which is in the center of the city." :cool:

CWS, I know you will be all over this one ;) I am just having fun with our American and British friends. :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
It's important to get past the spellings of words and get the context of the conversation...otherwise all communication stops, hung up on how to spell something that really is not pertinent to the discussion. Same with grammar rules...did you understand what I said? Not, did I use every word in it's proprer placement, a pattern I do not speak in.

As I tell folks, this is not English class, tell me what it is you want to say, if I need clarification I will ask for it. If a pattern you use is funny, I may (or not) point it out and tell you why I think it's funny, hoping you see the funny, too!

:mad::(:mad: Our "best" friends (mostly her) decided to go on the attack against my husband, about things that he is not able to control. This was all done with the statement, "I'm just telling you this because we love you, and I'm trying to help you." He is hurt and angry, and so am I. That is all I can say about it, but believe me, it is not sunshine and roses in our house today. :mad::(:mad:

Andy, a preposition tells you where something occurs. In, on, under, beneath...you get the picture. I can be confusing when you say, "the table on" instead of "on the table". ;)

:mad::(:mad: Our "best" friends (mostly her) decided to go on the attack against my husband, about things that he is not able to control. This was all done with the statement, "I'm just telling you this because we love you, and I'm trying to help you." He is hurt and angry, and so am I. That is all I can say about it, but believe me, it is not sunshine and roses in our house today. :mad::(:mad:
Barbara, that's not what I call love or help it's look at me I'm going to show you and these are not friends they are back stabbers and as far as I'm concerned it's see ya charlie. You don't need this junk!! Tell em see ya and give James a big hug and to forgive and forget nastiness.
hugs to you both.
kades

Barbara-Sending you Sunshine and Roses
images

Don't honor them with the presence of your company. I've had to do that on more than one occasion.

It's important to get past the spellings of words and get the context of the conversation...otherwise all communication stops, hung up on how to spell something that really is not pertinent to the discussion. Same with grammar rules...did you understand what I said? Not, did I use every word in it's proprer placement, a pattern I do not speak in.

As I tell folks, this is not English class, tell me what it is you want to say, if I need clarification I will ask for it. If a pattern you use is funny, I may (or not) point it out and tell you why I think it's funny, hoping you see the funny, too!
Princess, I was not trying to any such thing. I was trying to be tongue in cheek. But I guess my Canadian English didn't translate that way.

Barbara, that's not what I call love or help it's look at me I'm going to show you and these are not friends they are back stabbers and as far as I'm concerned it's see ya charlie. You don't need this junk!! Tell em see ya and give James a big hug and to forgive and forget nastiness.
hugs to you both.
kades
Thank you cj! I will give James your hug when he wakes up from his much needed nap! :flowers:

Barbara-Sending you Sunshine and Roses
images

Don't honor them with the presence of your company. I've had to do that on more than one occasion.
Thank you for the Sunshine and Roses Blissful! They are much appreciated! :flowers:

Barbara, you have my love, respect, prayers and hugs. I am here if you need me (PM, MSN, phone). {{{{{{{{{{{{{James and Barbara}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Y'all, I welcome any punctuation, grammar and spelling help I can get!

(not everyone would)

Back
Top Bottom