"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #1401
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, but a Mac will cost about three times as much.

Addie, since you probably don't have to have any software that only runs on Windog, you could consider running Linux on your current computer. You can get just about any software you might need for free for Linux.
I too love Mac, but it is and always will be way out of my price range. Spike is in the process of cleaning up my computer. I have already noticed it is running much faster. Today he is my hero.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1402
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I too love Mac, but it is and always will be way out of my price range. Spike is in the process of cleaning up my computer. I have already noticed it is running much faster. Today he is my hero.
You could try out Linux without taking Windog of your computer. It is possible to have "dual boot". That means you would be able to choose between Linux and Windows when you start your computer. That way you could try out Linux before deciding to give up Windows.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1403
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm teaching myself to use my left hand for mousing and track pad. I've got inflammation in my right wrist, again. Previously, that only happened from mousing too much. This time it started from using the trackpad/touchpad. I bought a small, wireless mouse, but that doesn't seem any better.

Switching between mouse and trackpad is annoying. I want the cursor speed slow for the mouse and fast for the trackpad. Aargh!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #1404
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm teaching myself to use my left hand for mousing and track pad. I've got inflammation in my right wrist, again. Previously, that only happened from mousing too much. This time it started from using the trackpad/touchpad. I bought a small, wireless mouse, but that doesn't seem any better.

Switching between mouse and trackpad is annoying. I want the cursor speed slow for the mouse and fast for the trackpad. Aargh!
Try switching to your left hand for awhile. It is tough at first, but can be done. It is also good for your brain to use the non-dominate hand for routine things like brushing your teeth in the morning.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #1405
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Try switching to your left hand for awhile. It is tough at first, but can be done. It is also good for your brain to use the non-dominate hand for routine things like brushing your teeth in the morning.
That's what I'm doing. Yeah, I should probably try to do as much as possible with my left hand. I just washed some dishes by hand and had to do it mostly left-handed, because it hurt when I used my right hand for scrubbing, etc. I am of the firm belief that if it hurts, it's your body telling you to stop doing it. (Doesn't count for "good pain". That's just a warning to be careful, go easy.)

The hard part is remembering to use my left hand. I'm no spring chicken and I've never had to use mostly my left hand before. Teaching an old dog new tricks.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #1406
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

To make it easier, you can also use the settings in Control Panel/Mouse to reverse the functions of the buttons so that your main functions are controlled by the right button (your left index finger) and alternate functions are controlled by the left button (your ring finger).

You also might be able to control the speed of each, mouse and trackpad there too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1407
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
To make it easier, you can also use the settings in Control Panel/Mouse to reverse the functions of the buttons so that your main functions are controlled by the right button (your left index finger) and alternate functions are controlled by the left button (your ring finger).

You also might be able to control the speed of each, mouse and trackpad there too.
It only lets me set the speed. Then that is the speed for both the mouse and the trackpad.

Good idea about switching the buttons. I haven't really been using the mouse left handed, but I might do that if I start using the mouse too. A long, long time ago, I had a left handed husband. He got a track ball and attached to the left side of the keyboard. It was really easy to use left handed. I had forgotten about that. I wonder if I could get something like that now.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1408
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can't you change the speed when you switch between them or are both on at the same time.

When I want to use the trackpad, I have to turn it on, otherwise casual brushing sends the cursor flying all over the place.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #1409
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just tried turning off the trackpad on my laptop, not allowed to for some reason. I have a wireless mouse installed, love it, but I have the problem of wandering cursor when I am typing.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #1410
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Company...Shrek's Navy buddy and his wife, Columbo and the Mrs. will be here Friday. We found this out Monday. There is no way I can take time off while they are here on such short notice. So...I'm going to wish the three of them well and wave them good-bye. The cats and I will stay nice and cool, most likely running naked with scissors.