Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara, you have my love, respect, prayers and hugs. I am here if you need me (PM, MSN, phone). {{{{{{{{{{{{{James and Barbara}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Thank you my oh so wonderful friend and sister! We will be okay, but we will always take all the love, respect, prayers, and hugs we can get (and return them twofold, or threefold, or morefold!). :flowers:

(Am I the only one the quotes feature has been acting up for?).

Last edited by a moderator:
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

DH just tried my "Dad's phone number" from his cell phone and guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK! Finally I will not longer have to get stupid calls that my Dad's computer has a virus, or having people asking for "Pat" and me crying because I think for a second they want my Mom, not the people who had the number eons ago.

How did it happen? DH called yesterday and calmly told them if they didn't get it fixed we would take our business (telephone, internet and TV) elsewhere (and there are options).

Thanks for all your help and for letting me rant on about this. I feel a little more at peace now, as I do every time we complete something to do with Dad's death.

Thank you my oh so wonderful friend and sister! We will be okay, but we will always take all the love, respect, prayers, and hugs we can get (and return them twofold, or threefold, or morefold!). :flowers:

(Am I the only one the quotes feature has been acting up for?).

Just add this symbol "]" (not the quotes) to the end of [/QUOTE
and it will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an example of why grammar matters:

jfk.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

DH just tried my "Dad's phone number" from his cell phone and guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK! Finally I will not longer have to get stupid calls that my Dad's computer has a virus, or having people asking for "Pat" and me crying because I think for a second they want my Mom, not the people who had the number eons ago.

How did it happen? DH called yesterday and calmly told them if they didn't get it fixed we would take our business (telephone, internet and TV) elsewhere (and there are options).

Thanks for all your help and for letting me rant on about this. I feel a little more at peace now, as I do every time we complete something to do with Dad's death.
I'm so glad! :cool:

Princess, I was not trying to any such thing. I was trying to be tongue in cheek. But I guess my Canadian English didn't translate that way.

Sweetie, my comments were not aimed at you or anyone. Just a general comment on the state of grammar, spelling and speech. I find the differences in all our dialects and accents to be absolutely delightful.

If not for all our differences I would have never learned what a pine float was (thanks Katie H). Turns out it is a regional saying for a toothpick in a glass of water, what you are not allowed when you are going in for surgery.

Sweetie, my comments were not aimed at you or anyone. Just a general comment on the state of grammar, spelling and speech. I find the differences in all our dialects and accents to be absolutely delightful.

If not for all our differences I would have never learned what a pine float was (thanks Katie H). Turns out it is a regional saying for a toothpick in a glass of water, what you are not allowed when you are going in for surgery.

I just want everyone to know that I find the use of the 'Queen's English' delightful. I am going to hospital, is a perfect example. There are so many times "the" is not used by those who use this method of the language. It is one of the reasons I love to watch the comedies we receive from England. And as far as what is written here, I get the message. And that is what counts. I couldn't care less if the punctuation or spelling is correct.

Have any of you heard the last two lines of the Serenity Prayer? "....Change the things I can change, And accept the things I can't." I prefer to just accept everything. I am not out to make everything and everyone perfect. I dont' want to live in a perfect world. There is no fun and it is just to much work. :):)

There is a great little book on this subject. Eats Shoots and Leaves (can't remember the author's name). I read and watch a lot of media from England, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India (etc), and other various English-speaking countries and find different uses of the English language and word origins interesting. Another interesting book (and old PBS TV series) on the subject is The Story of English. When I worked at the Pentagon many moons ago, lots of the action officers knew to come looking for me down in the bowels of the sub-basement because I could, without thinking, type a NATO document even if they didn't know the differences in spellings (NATO documents had to be in British English, and I could, without thinking translate "labor" into "labour" and "defense" into "defence"). See, reading all those novels does pay off!

Back
Top Bottom