Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blissful said:
Y'all, I welcome any punctuation, grammar and spelling help I can get!

(not everyone would)

Incorrect punctuation or grammar in a chat room doesn't bother me. Trying to answer quickly or typing on a "smart"phone has its own difficulties. My phone changes what I type to what it thinks I want, such as: 'Do you have this app on your phone?' becomes 'Do you have this apparently on your phone?'. Sometimes the change is funny, others are just frustrating. My grammar peeves apply more to professionally written text, billboards, advertising or letters sent home from teachers or administration.

561440_462205810465081_22130305_n.jpeg

Incorrect punctuation or grammar in a chat room doesn't bother me. Trying to answer quickly or typing on a "smart"phone has its own difficulties. My phone changes what I type to what it thinks I want, such as: 'Do you have this app on your phone?' becomes 'Do you have this apparently on your phone?'. Sometimes the change is funny, others are just frustrating. My grammar peeves apply more to professionally written text, billboards, advertising or letters sent home from teachers or administration.

View attachment 14711

I didn't know rule number 6. I had thought that IT'S was both for possessive and for the contraction. That's a tough one to remember.
It's my project. (correct)
The garlic, its clove's papers, are colored purple/brown. (correct)
Right?

I was putting a sentence together (quite the project ha ha ha) in an email to a friend and I put a phrase in parenthesis at the end of the sentence. It doesn't look right to put the period inside the parenthesis. Which one is correct?
I labeled and trimmed the garlic (the salable ones).
I labeled and trimmed the garlic (the salable ones.)

Oh and thank you for all this tutoring. Reminding me of the rules does help me.

I forgot to add: My manager would email me and at the end of it, it would say, "Sent from my Blackberry."
I continually and stupidly always thought of them as Blueberries, I don't know why.
I would respond in my email to him in this way, "Sent from my Desktop".

Last edited:
I didn't know rule number 6. I had thought that IT'S was both for possessive and for the contraction. That's a tough one to remember.
It's my project. (correct)
The garlic, its clove's papers, are colored purple/brown. (correct)
Right?

I was putting a sentence together (quite the project ha ha ha) in an email to a friend and I put a phrase in parenthesis at the end of the sentence. It doesn't look right to put the period inside the parenthesis. Which one is correct?
I labeled and trimmed the garlic (the salable ones).
I labeled and trimmed the garlic (the salable ones.)

Oh and thank you for all this tutoring. Reminding me of the rules does help me.

The one marked in red is correct. The period refers to the whole sentence and belongs outside the closing parentheses.

Last edited:
The one marked in red is correct. The period refers to the whole sentence and belongs outside the closing parentheses.
Zhizara, thank you.
Based on what I read before, there is some kind of logical punctuation and then some rules based on some more strict sense of Punctuation Rules, I take it this advice you wrote is based on logical rules. Is there a set of Punctuation Rules for this particular instance as well that is different from your advice? I thought parentheses were treated similarly to single quotes and double quotes--maybe that is not true.

And I spelled parentheses wrong.......people! Tell me I'm wrong, I can handle it, I want to do better, not for you, for myself. Call me selfish, call me wrong, really I can handle it. Consider all the readers here that will improve their punctuation and writing skills by reading this.
thank you.

I'm pretty sure the rules for parentheses are the same for American grammar and British (logical) grammar. It's punctuation with quotes that are different.

blissful said:
I forgot to add: My manager would email me and at the end of it, it would say, "Sent from my Blackberry."
I continually and stupidly always thought of them as Blueberries, I don't know why.
I would respond in my email to him in this way, "Sent from my Desktop".

:LOL:

Most phones and iPads automatically have the "Sent from my" sig. I removed it from my iPad and phone. Just go to Settings and take it out.

I decided to leave it. That way people understand about the occasional strange word or spelling. :rolleyes:

My neighbor uses an iPhone. Email responses from him include this postscript:

Thumbtyped. All typos unintentional

Of course they are. Otherwise they wouldn't be typos...

blissful, go to you tube and look up Grammar Rock. I love those things. My students (who were all adult) loved them too.

JoAnn L. said:
Finally have a nice weather day where I can open the windows and what do I hear but the parrot who lives across the street, squawking. The lady who owns it, puts the darn thing in the window and he makes that awful sound all day long.

Some friends of mine live next to some people who have a really big cage in the back yard. They put their bird out all day in that cage to squawk at everything.... My friend is thinking of getting a noisy dog.

There is an area in San Fransisco that has a large parrot problem. It seems that several parrots that were released or escaped took up roost in trees in a nice neighborhood. They in turn started to build nests and multiply. Now there are so many of them that the trees are full and the squawking is deafening. So much for sleeping late in the morning. :ohmy:

There is an area in San Fransisco that has a large parrot problem. It seems that several parrots that were released or escaped took up roost in trees in a nice neighborhood. They in turn started to build nests and multiply. Now there are so many of them that the trees are full and the squawking is deafening. So much for sleeping late in the morning. :ohmy:

There's an interesting movie about them, "The Parrots of Telegraph Hill". Down here there are flocks of naturalized small parrots, but they don't cause the nuisance that those in the urban setting do.

That period outside the quotes after "Hill" would seem logical, but surely not what I was taught in school eons ago. It looks funny to me.

A friend corrected an old, established practice of mine, and I tried to follow his newfangled rule: Only one space between sentences. Tried, can't do it.

Thank you my oh so wonderful friend and sister! We will be okay, but we will always take all the love, respect, prayers, and hugs we can get (and return them twofold, or threefold, or morefold!). :flowers:

(Am I the only one the quotes feature has been acting up for?).

Hoping you're both okay by now. Taking you at your word that you will always take them, I'm sending them now.

A friend corrected an old, established practice of mine, and I tried to follow his newfangled rule: Only one space between sentences. Tried, can't do it.

That just means you learned your keyboarding skills on a typewriter! Its taken me forever to break that habit too. With the automatic justification on many screens it is no longer necessary.

That just means you learned your keyboarding skills on a typewriter! Its taken me forever to break that habit too. With the automatic justification on many screens it is no longer necessary.

Alix, please explain. What does learning on a typewriter keyboard have to do with two spaces between sentences? I think the extra space improves appearance.

Andy M. said:
Alix, please explain. What does learning on a typewriter keyboard have to do with two spaces between sentences? I think the extra space improves appearance.

I didn't realize one space was the new rule. I too prefer 2 spaces between sentences.

I prefer the double space as well. I'm not changing now. Otherwise everything looks crammed together; more like a run on sentence.

When you learn keyboarding on a typewriter, you are taught to use a double space between sentences. Now, keyboarding is taught on computers and you can change the justification to center your document, right justify, or to make your sentences go margin to margin. In that last instance, it makes no difference what you space, it creates spaces for you, and it can look a bit odd if you have double spaced after a sentence.

It can be relevant when kids are typing papers as well, its a trick to take up extra space so you don't have to write as much. That and changing the font on all your punctuation to make it larger can eat up a page or so in a long paper. ;)

Let's see if I can attach an example. The top example is margin to margin, note the spacing sizes. The bottom is left justified only. I prefer the top sample and it is how I format most of my documents.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom