"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #1431
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm guessing you're referring to the last part only. I'm old enough to have been taught how to manage money AND have the learnin' stick! Make It Due-Wear It Out-Use It Up. I've managed our money practically all our married life. I quit work when the babies showed up and ran a ledger for all our expenses. When the paycheck hit the bank I'd portion out what needed to be set aside for each expense, then pay the bills that were coming due. We've been blessed in that Himself had a job that allowed us to do such a thing and meet all expenses with some left over. Not wanting fancy vacations or cars worked too. We're just simple folk.
I'm guessing you're referring to the last part only. Exactly. What is going to be left for your generation when your time comes? We seem to only elect idiots to Washington.

Make It Due-Wear It Out-Use It Up. Did your mother know my mother? We didn't throw out a sock with a tiny hole, we darned it before it got too big. A skill not too many know today. I remember a winter jacket I had from when we lived on the farm. The lining was in tatters. So my mother cut it all out and it became a spring jacket. That jacket lasted me for about another five years.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #1432
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Dear Mr. Headache:

Could you please come back to play some other time? I'm a little busy right now playing hostess to Mr. Sore Toe and Ms. Achy Back. Thank you.

Sincerely, CG
Hope you are feeling a bit better now

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #1433
Master Chef

I've never used this thread before now, but I guess this is the place for my rant.

Did anyone watch the Macy's fireworks show in NYC last night? The light show was spectacular over the Hudson as usual, but the music was HORRIBLE!!
It seems that Usher was responsible for the music choices, and while I enjoy him as a performer, his choices of music for the fireworks celebration actually made me angry. Where was the traditional patriotic music we all have come to associate with the celebration? While most of the selections would have been ok in the pre-show, they were ridiculous in being played during the light show! I really missed the heart booming traditional music, and when they started playing a RAP selection I turned the sound off!!!
Ghaaaaa........:hamme r:

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #1434
Certified Pretend Chef

I missed the fireworks display and Boston Pops musical performance last night in Boston. I look forward to it.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1435
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I missed the fireworks display and Boston Pops musical performance last night in Boston. I look forward to it.
Too bad. They shot some of the fireworks off from the Mass. Ave bridge when they were playing the Stars and Stripes Forever. It looked like the shell was framed in fire works. A beautiful effect. I hope they repeat it every year. I wasn't impressed with the guest stars at all. Names of New England performers I had never heard of that supposedly made it big.

Kayelle, half of the celebrations' is the music we have heard since childhood. I have to admit, that the chosen works were spot on for us. As a rocket lit up, the music was right in time with it. I don't know who is responsible for choosing it to work that way, but as you sit there watching and listening, it dawns on you how it all works together. If there was a lull in the rockets, so to for the music. Remind me not to come to NY for a 4th celebration.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1436
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Too bad. They shot some of the fireworks off from the Mass. Ave bridge when they were playing the Stars and Stripes Forever. It looked like the shell was framed in fire works. A beautiful effect. I hope they repeat it every year. I wasn't impressed with the guest stars at all. Names of New England performers I had never heard of that supposedly made it big...
I got home from my sister's last night and our guests were watching that Gordon Ramsey reality show and seemed to be into it so I didn't interfere.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1437
Master Chef

The Boston show wasn't televised here Addie, or I certainly would have chosen it over NYC. The Boston Pops is unbeatable!
We watched our own FW show from a hill in our little town without any music. I enjoyed it more than the ridiculous show we watched on tv in NYC!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #1438
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Hope you are feeling a bit better now
Thanks Kylie! Headache is gone - or at least until I head out to grocery shop. If I could send you about 15 of our degrees of heat I would. Back is also done aching for now. All I have is this toe and from what I saw a cousin post on FB I might be putting up with soreness until Christmas. *sigh*
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #1439
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've never used this thread before now, but I guess this is the place for my rant.

Did anyone watch the Macy's fireworks show in NYC last night? The light show was spectacular over the Hudson as usual, but the music was HORRIBLE!! ......
Welcome to the Crabbin' Cabin Kayelle! I completely agree with you about the NYC music choices. After Boston was done with their show we started to channel flip. Found the NY fireworks and stopped. But not for long. Himself and I also found the music to be completely distracting to the firework display. Watched for a minute on mute, then moved along. Kinda weird to watch big blasts of fireworks on a small T to begin with, and then to not like the music? Move along, nothing to see here....
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #1440
Certified Cake Maniac

Just got back from the clinic. I am finally feeling better from my abscess tooth, sinus infection, migraines and sciatica. But my eye has been watering (which I just passed off as allergies) and this morning was swollen shut.

I have a tear duct infection because of all the antibiotics I have been taking for the other stuff . At least the cure is simple - yogurt (the only dairy I can tolerate) and probiotics. In this weather, yogurt and fruit are a staple and I picked up probiotics at our health store!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote