"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1441
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Or you could memorize the number. Himself used to panic when I rattled it off at a snap, even reciting the expiration date and my security code. Had to remind him repeatedly that I log into the account using the number as the I.D. and I pay a number of bills by phone using number/expire/security code. He's finally to the point where he now knows I'm not spending us into the poorhouse!
I can do the same thing! I memorized it when we got new cards with new account numbers. Had to go to all the websites we had a card on file for automatic payments and enter the new info. Car insurance, MAF, KLOV, EZPass, Amazon, PayPal etc. Now I can quickly enter it at a new site too since the numbers are burned into my brain!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #1442
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I can do the same thing! I memorized it when we got new cards with new account numbers. Had to go to all the websites we had a card on file for automatic payments and enter the new info. Car insurance, MAF, KLOV, EZPass, Amazon, PayPal etc. Now I can quickly enter it at a new site too since the numbers are burned into my brain!
Aside from your one credit card number, can you remember the various passwords for all the different sites you use? What if some sites require you to change your PW every 3, 6 r 9 months?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #1443
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Aside from your one credit card number, can you remember the various passwords for all the different sites you use? What if some sites require you to change your PW every 3, 6 r 9 months?
I really don't know many of my passwords...

Last pass generates crazy ones and stores them for me and auto fills the boxes.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #1444
Master Chef

I don't have any of my passwords memorized. They're on a pad of paper near my computer. Real security conscious, right?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #1445
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I don't have any of my passwords memorized. They're on a pad of paper near my computer. Real security conscious, right?
I do the same thing, Claire!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #1446
Master Chef

Me three Claire and Dawg. Except mine are on index cards by "department". (Cooking, Financial, etc) I remember to hid the stack if someone is coming over. Usually.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #1447
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I know everyone's passwords or how to find them in the office...because they have no clue how to go about fixing problems and I end up walking IT through any problems after my office mates have gone home. Most of the time I just have to access under my username, other times it is a problem with their accounts. My passwords at work are written down as they change frequently. Passwords on my home computer are all in my head...have to keep something in there.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1448
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well, at least having those passwords written on paper is a lot better than in clear text somewhere on your computer.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #1449
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to have a different password for everything. Then when I set it up that my pharmacy would deliver my scripts to me at home rather than me pick them up, I for the life of me could not remember my password. I also had it set up that no one, not even me, could walk into the pharmacy and pick them up either. All done on the computer. It was a bad program to begin with.

I got out of that program when I joined ESP. Now I have one password for everything. There are some sites that I hate like Facebook. So there is a slight variation to my password for there. I only go in there to look at family pics. But ever so often someone will send me a site like the Family Tree and they have set up the password. I only go there maybe once or twice a year. Sure enough I forgot the password. Had to send for it. A real simple one. And I felt very stupid. Spike knows my password. And The Pirate also. Other than the use of my one credit card, I don't store anything on my computer that is of any consequence.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #1450
Master Chef

Schmeggitty //*#!%#* Yahoo Mail! All the other times they upgraded the thing you could opt out and stay with the Classic. Guess they got tired of maintaining Classic because you have only two options: upgrade or...upgrade! The new mail offers Basic or Full Featured. I first selected Basic because I figured it might be closer to the old format. Um, wrong. Apparently they made it so bad it pretty much forces you into using Full. When I switched to that it didn't seem to do what I wanted it to do. Played around a while (all I had planned on doing was checking email real quick to see if I got anything important ) and finally realized its functionality is pretty much like using their mail reader on my smartphone. Not sure how well it will work for me, but we might be able to come to a truce of some sort.

I have Google mail. For about 3 years. You would think I would have switched my contacts over to gmail but this works out easier for me to be able to glance at junk mail quickly. Gmail has been used for more important stuff.