Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad it you had a good time with your grandsons.

I don't think the parents realize how important grandparents are to the children. It teaches them about the continuation of family. It gives the little ones a chance to learn about family history. Hearing "When I was a little girl/boy your age.... It gives them a sense of what they have, what we as grandparents didn't have, and a history of how the family used to live. And as they get older they want to find out more. We have a lot of stories of when we were kids.

We didn't have TV. We were introduced to our heroes (Batman, The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet, etc) from comic books, radio and the Saturday matinee movies. We didn't even have frozen foods until after WWII. No one had full freezers. Our fridges had a monitor motor on top with a little freezer that held just two metal ice trays.

Children need grandparents. :(

The person who influenced my life and who I am the most was my Great-Grandma Elsie. A wonderful woman.

Alix said:
I closed down the old venting thread. It was getting pretty cumbersome for any new reader. Lets try to keep this one to just petty stuff. If you really need support or prayers please start a new thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

My petty little snotty vent is just that I got yelled at for nothing. I run a yoga program out of our community hall and today the floor was really gross. So after the class I called the person responsible for hall rentals and reported it. (Sounds logical so far right?) Well instead of saying thanks for the info I'll handle it, I got a blast about people blaming her and telling her what to do about the mess etc etc. I kept my cool, and asked her why she was yelling at me? She ranted some more. I told her I was not responsible for her upset, and had merely been doing what I thought she WANTED me to do and apologized for trying to be helpful. To her credit she backed down and apologized. She told me that I was just "in the line of fire". I responded by accepting the apology and letting her know I'd found her very rude.

I'm trying very hard to take the high road and just accept that apology and move on. I'm still TICKED OFF though. LOL. The venting has helped. Thanks for listening guys. Sometimes it just helps to get it out.

Sounds like you handled it perfectly Alex. You were doing your job and apparently she wasn't.

In addition, she was in "garbage truck mode", that is' she'd been carrying her personal garbage and found a place to dump. Lucky you huh?

Anyway, she apologized, you graciously accepted. Now forgive and move on. We all show our once in a while. That's life.

Edit: Geez, just realized I responded to such an old post. Sorry all.

Last edited by a moderator:
One person who I have the fondest memories of was my paternal grandfather Herman Joseph Harris.

My father spent a lot of time traveling for work when I was very young and Grandpa filled in for him.

I had trouble learning how to tell time so one day Grandpa sat me down at the dining room table. He cut a clock face, a big hand and a little hand out of the cardboard back of a writing pad then penciled in the numbers.

Then to my surprise he popped the chewing gum out of his mouth, pinched off a bit and stuck the hands to the clock face.

By moving the hands around the dial he had me telling time in about five minutes.

He owned a 31 Flavors ice cream shop right across the street from where I attended kindergarten.

When school let out I'd stop by and see him. We'd talk and joke while I ate a sundae or cone.

Sometimes Mom would be at the shop making the ice cream cakes that had been ordered.

After Christmas or Easter plays at kindergarten Grandpa would invite all the kids and parents to his shop for free cones. I was the biggest little man on campus let me tell you!

Later he would pick me up and take me to my little league games. He would always have a bag of grapes an apple, some kind of fruit to give me "quick energy" and always cheered me on. He made it ok and encouraged me when I swung out or flubbed a catch.

Grandpa adored my mother in a fatherly way. My Dad was an only child so Mom was the daughter that Grandpa never had.

Grandpa gave Mom a diamond ring on one occasion. It just happened to be a tiny bit bigger than one he had given to Nana my grandmother.

He made Mom promise not to let Nana know that Mom's diamond was bigger. You would have to have known Nana to appreciate this one but we still laugh about this too.

Grandpa brought a lot of love and laughter to our lives. I think he's responsible for my nutty and self- deprecating since of humor.

He was a clown in the best sense of the word.

One Easter while my family and I were attending services he went to our house and used wire ties to attach tangerines and bananas to the shrubs in our front yard.

Imagine our surprise when we arrived home! We all took one look and said "Grandpa!" In unison. We still laugh about it from time to time.

We had dropped ceiling over the tub in the hall bathroom where my sister and I would bathe. Every once in a while as one of us would be in the tub we would look up and see a dark round spot in the opaque panel of the light over the tub. Whoopee! Another silver dollar from Grandpa!

These are just a few examples of how my Grandpa let us know he loved us.

Lord, I miss him terribly right now.

If there is an afterlife I hope I get to see him again.

Sorry for being so long winded.

I think I'm busted

Off to the see the Head Hunter's soon.
Just woke up so forgive the mispeelings.

I was supposed to fast last night, nothing after midnight. We have to have perfect bloodwork results don't we? Dummy here woke up at 4 am, took 1/2 a sleeping pill with a sip of soda. I forgot about the fasting.

My husbands going to be mad. Dr. won't be impressed either.
Now that's it's been officially blown. Can I have my morning jolt of coffee, eggs, please pass me the heart attack (salt) ?

Or should I just say nothing and not wake up at all. Oh man it's going to be one of those days.

Munky.

Off to the see the Head Hunter's soon.
Just woke up so forgive the mispeelings.

I was supposed to fast last night, nothing after midnight. We have to have perfect bloodwork results don't we? Dummy here woke up at 4 am, took 1/2 a sleeping pill with a sip of soda. I forgot about the fasting.

My husbands going to be mad. Dr. won't be impressed either.
Now that's it's been officially blown. Can I have my morning jolt of coffee, eggs, please pass me the heart attack (salt) ?

Or should I just say nothing and not wake up at all. Oh man it's going to be one of those days.

Munky.

I know I'm a bit late, but I would have just not said anything. A sip of soda won't make that much difference to blood work. Now if you had chugged a whole can...:LOL:

purple.alien.giraffe said:
Is it a valid vent that I currently have nothing to vent about?

Well...OK. You can call it what you want to I guess. Glad you are "vent-less!"

I'm back, I hope! My vent is that for the past month our internet service has been more down than up. I haven't been able to use this site at all. Any emails I've had to write, save, then look for the proper lights indicating the service is "up" and immediately sit down and send. Luckily, for us the internet is mostly a "toy", we aren't dependent upon it for work or really anything. But I've been constantly on the phone to my cable company and the frustration level has been very high.

Claire said:
I'm back, I hope! My vent is that for the past month our internet service has been more down than up. I haven't been able to use this site at all. Any emails I've had to write, save, then look for the proper lights indicating the service is "up" and immediately sit down and send. Luckily, for us the internet is mostly a "toy", we aren't dependent upon it for work or really anything. But I've been constantly on the phone to my cable company and the frustration level has been very high.

Glad you are here when you can be. Sorry it is such a hassle. Good luck with getting things straightened out.

Back pain must be on the menu this week. My lower back is pretty ouchie. Off to yoga to see about affecting a cure.

I've been weaning myself off the last of my pain medications, Tylenol. The only thing I am taking now for any arthritis pain is Glucosamine for my knees. So far, fairly good. My shoulders are aching all the time.

Since switching Doctors, I want to be off all pain meds so we can start from scratch on pain management. I need alternatives, since I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAIDS because of medication interactions.

I've been weaning myself off the last of my pain medications, Tylenol. The only thing I am taking now for any arthritis pain is Glucosamine for my knees. So far, fairly good. My shoulders are aching all the time.

Since switching Doctors, I want to be off all pain meds so we can start from scratch on pain management. I need alternatives, since I cannot take ibuprofen or other NSAIDS because of medication interactions.

You are an inspiration, PF. I really wish I could get off my pain medications. With this last try of weaning off Naproxen and it triggering all my pain causes (FM, arthritis, lumbar, knee, sciatica, etc.) because of the swelling, I am a little gun shy of going off anything else even though I really want to.

I have made up my mind pain or no pain I am starting up at the pool again on Monday and want to get back to going on one walk a day with DH and the pups. I am hoping this and eating healthy again will help and I can try again in the near future.

You are an inspiration, PF. I really wish I could get off my pain medications. With this last try of weaning off Naproxen and it triggering all my pain causes (FM, arthritis, lumbar, knee, sciatica, etc.) because of the swelling, I am a little gun shy of going off anything else even though I really want to.

I have made up my mind pain or no pain I am starting up at the pool again on Monday and want to get back to going on one walk a day with DH and the pups. I am hoping this and eating healthy again will help and I can try again in the near future.

Thanks, Laurie! I'm just tired of all the pills and pain. AND worrying about what's going on with my heart. With the cooler weather, I'm able to get outside more for some good walks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom