"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #1551
Executive Chef

I have noticed this past week that every time I drive into the garage it smells pretty bad and had mentioned to DH that the garbage can that we keep in there must be smelling because of the heat. It's been low to high 70's with a few days in the high 80,s for the last month. We have had 30+ days of sunshine and no precipitation. Unusual for the PNW, where even summer is interrupted by a rainy day here and there and a few overcast days :/. Now I don't know what I was thinking to imagine it would be the garbage can smelling as very little food type waste goes in there we recycle and compost and freeze the yucky stuff until garbage day. ......I just found out what that awful stink is/was! I went to the garage to retrieve a few red potatoes for a side dish with tonight's grilled chicken thighs, PU! The full unopened 10lb. bag of small red potatoes was spoiled. That stinks in more ways then 1! I've had them about a week and a half maybe two weeks, there must have been a bad one in the bag to start with. Argh! I do have some new pets now ermm PESTS!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1552
Chef Extraordinaire

It is normal Taxy, sometimes the firewall is the last thing people think of...it is just so nice to have everything sorted, nothing worse than pc problems

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1553
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I have noticed this past week that every time I drive into the garage it smells pretty bad and had mentioned to DH that the garbage can that we keep in there must be smelling because of the heat. It's been low to high 70's with a few days in the high 80,s for the last month. We have had 30+ days of sunshine and no precipitation. Unusual for the PNW, where even summer is interrupted by a rainy day here and there and a few overcast days :/. Now I don't know what I was thinking to imagine it would be the garbage can smelling as very little food type waste goes in there we recycle and compost and freeze the yucky stuff until garbage day. ......I just found out what that awful stink is/was! I went to the garage to retrieve a few red potatoes for a side dish with tonight's grilled chicken thighs, PU! The full unopened 10lb. bag of small red potatoes was spoiled. That stinks in more ways then 1! I've had them about a week and a half maybe two weeks, there must have been a bad one in the bag to start with. Argh! I do have some new pets now ermm PESTS!
That would pi** me off big time. I hate it when I lose food through no fault of my actions. A loss of ten pounds of food is not a very happy event. I know they say don't put them in the fridge. But I only buy a five pound bag and open it. Then I dump them into a crisper draw. After all it is a cool and dark place. Because of where I grew up, I prefer potatoes from Maine or P.E.I. I have very little problems with my 'taters. Very rarely do I find one that is bad. Have you found a solution to where to store them now?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1554
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Oh ick! Nothing stinks worse than rotten potatoes! Someone here had posted about forgetting a full sack in the trunk of their car, what a stench ensued!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #1555
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Glad you found your problem.

The printer at work up and died. I checked everything that I knew to check and e-mailed our procurer of computer things. The next day a tech came and and found the problem. Then Friday the tech came back with a box and performed maintenance on the printer...he complimented us on taking such good care of the printer, we had just worn it out. He replaced rollers and the fuser.

He siad it was my rundown of what was happening and having examples of the damage it was causing (before it went all 4 paws up) that led to him diagnosing the problem. Most diagnostics he runs take him from an hour to two hours...he found ours in 10 minutes.

The procurer thanked me for saving him $1400 on a new printer. I told him I would give him the bill for new shoes for having to run back and forth for print jobs, I wouldn't charge him a diagnostic fee.
I called my ISP's customer service number. I knew what the problem likely was, just couldn't fix it myself. I gave them the rundown on what was going on and the lady says "you seem to know what you are talking about, I'll schedule a tech and send them out, none of the things I can tell you to do will likely help". I just wanted to avoid the "unplug the modem and plug it back in" thing.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #1556
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I called my ISP's customer service number. I knew what the problem likely was, just couldn't fix it myself. I gave them the rundown on what was going on and the lady says "you seem to know what you are talking about, I'll schedule a tech and send them out, none of the things I can tell you to do will likely help". I just wanted to avoid the "unplug the modem and plug it back in" thing.
Exactly, if I can give enough information on what is happening with what I have tried, the quicker we get to the problem.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #1557
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
They tell make my husband unplug the modem, etc. He's an IT guy. He understands this stuff far better than most of the help line people. When he is lucky, they escalate to a real techy.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #1558
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When they tell me to have my husband do something with any tech I have to ask them why...I'm the one that taught him.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #1559
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When they tell me to have my husband do something with any tech I have to ask them why...I'm the one that taught him.
+1. I'm DH's tech support. Not real good at it, but better than he is.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #1560
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm pretty good at tech stuff, usually better than the guys on the front line of help, but Stirling is a whiz at tech stuff. They have never asked me to talk to my husband. Sometimes I tell them they have to talk to him.