"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #1571
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The "unplug/replug" thing is what caused Himself to not call about a flaky modem for months, until it got too bad. Even I knew what was wrong...the thing was over a decade old and worn out! When he finally called they asked a bunch of questions, did a few tests with him on the phone, and told him they couldn't find anything wrong. Next day they send him an email - saying a new modem was on the way! Well, the new one has been in its box on the counter for a week now because MY idea worked: move the old modem from the den on the warmer second floor and put it down the basement where it's cooler and a constant temp. Danged old one has been perfect for 2 weeks!
When Spike called Comcast for me to tell them I needed a new modem, they didn't believe him. So the silly person on the other end spent almost 20 minutes of his time trying to get my modem to work. Finally he asked how long have I had the Internet service with them. I even had the date. It was ten years ago. Long before they went digital. "Oh, I think your modem is out of date now." Such a brilliant guy. By now I decided to play with him. "Can you bring it into the office and we will exchange it for you?" "No, I am housebound and can't walk. And I am very elderly. The computer and TV are the only means I have of staying in touch with the outside world. Can you deliver it to me without an extra charge?"
"Oh, I will have to check with my supervisor." I already knew the answer, but since these calls are timed and monitored, I wasn't going to let him off to easy.

"Can I set up an appointment time with you? What time would it be the most convenient for you when you will be at home?"
"Well considering I am housebound I expect to be home all day."
The conversation kept going on and on about a good time for me and the truck that would be in my neighborhood. I finally had enough of his stupidity and asked for his supervisor. Took her 10 seconds to set up the time. And there was no delivery charge.

Had he asked me in the beginning when I had gotten my old modem he could have saved a lot of time. You can bet he got a dressing down for the length of that call. 45 minutes. Idiot!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #1572
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm my own tech support for most things, If I don't know how to do something, I research until I figure it out.

Just this morning I replaced the DVD drive in my home theater PC with a blu-ray drive before I even ate breakfast. I built the computer myself. I recently bought it a whole new case, one that will fit under the TV nice and neat instead of beside the tv on the floor. I had the whole thing dismantled, cleaned and put back together in about 45 minutes.

When it comes to the modem, there isn't much I can fix, it's proprietary from At&t, not even something I can go out and replace myself, like I could with my old cable modem.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #1573
Executive Chef

Grrr, predictability.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #1574
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't think so...
No you are closer in age to me, we just never had a TV until I was 10 or 11. I never saw Howdy Doody when it was first aired.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #1575
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

No you are closer in age to me, we just never had a TV until I was 10 or 11. I never saw Howdy Doody when it was first aired.
I vaguely recall it, I was more of the Captain Kangaroo generation.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #1576
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Same with Himself. We never had a new computer (unless you count our Atari 800) until 2000 because he would bring home the old ones from work for free, tinker with them, and get them to run good enough for home. I felt like the IT guy's version of the shoemaker's kids.

Back in the early '70s he worked for a small company designing systems and writing code. (His typing wasn't very good - I have a punch card he did for me that says "I move you" ) A client wanted to get their desktop computers to send data to an office in another state, but back then only mainframes were doing data transfers. He and a coworker (Tom) stayed late every night trying to get it to work. It was a secret project and I couldn't tell anyone so I called it "Nanette" anytime we were out (theatre joke). Got so I saw so little of him I would pack a basket of food for him and Tom and run over to the office from my parents' home and drop it off! When they finally got it working by testing between their office in Cleveland and the home office back in MA (different company than the most recent) everyone at HQ was so impressed they offered the two guys teaching jobs at corporate. Dodged the moving bullet that time.
I used to sit in the room with the punch card creator while Dad's homework ran through and let him know when a jam happened or a run was done. He was busy down the hall setting up chemistry labs for the next day. I watched carefully and soon I was fixing jams and putting in the next box of cards without bugging him.

He got a lot of help out of me when he was a workstudy student. I got good at setting up labs, helped him with inventories, etc. Then we'd walk home past the cemetery and he'd scare me with stories.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #1577
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I vaguely recall it, I was more of the Captain Kangaroo generation.
Yes, I watched the Captain every mornig once we got a tv, I must have been younger maybe 7 or 8...we definitely had one before baby bro was born.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #1578
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

My dad's family was the first in their area to have a TV, (had to go all the way to Boston fro Maine to get it) they would invite friends and neighbors over to watch. Everyone would get all dressed up for the occasion! My dad remembered laying on the floor totally mesmerized by the test pattern.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #1579
Executive Chef

Thank you cat litter companies for deciding that every litter formula has to be "extreme odor control" or "multi-cat odor control". In fact, my little furball is so impressed with how clean it smells that he refuses to sully it and is instead is using our carpet. At this rate, by the time we're done steam cleaning our carpets a dozen times so we have a shot at getting our deposit back when we move, we'll have spent our deposit and then some on multiple steam cleanings. So thank you, our cat litter smells nice and clean and our carpet smells like a *&+%(#@ cat box.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #1580
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Thank you cat litter companies for deciding that every litter formula has to be "extreme odor control" or "multi-cat odor control". In fact, my little furball is so impressed with how clean it smells that he refuses to sully it and is instead is using our carpet. At this rate, by the time we're done steam cleaning our carpets a dozen times so we have a shot at getting our deposit back when we move, we'll have spent our deposit and then some on multiple steam cleanings. So thank you, our cat litter smells nice and clean and our carpet smells like a *&+%(#@ cat box.
(((Hugs)))

It's such a PITA when kitties decide to pee in the wrong place. When I had two, they used to have peeing contests in the hall.