Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cinder, good wishes being sent your way. Your snot-nosed student reminded me of a friend of mine whose kids kept coming home with head lice. She got frustrated and got permission to inspect the premises. A foreign language lab. The headphones were infested. since they were in constant use by different kids from different classes I mean grades, not social) and different ages. She went and bought whatever it would be to use to clean the darned things and started going to school and de-lousing them herself.

There ought to be something about basic sanitary habits.

In our school systems the school nurse does head checks about twice a year. If a student is found to have lice, they are sent home immediately with a note. They can't return to school until the head has been cleaned of lice and the nits. The nurse checks them again when they return. :angel:

In our school systems the school nurse does head checks about twice a year. If a student is found to have lice, they are sent home immediately with a note. They can't return to school until the head has been cleaned of lice and the nits. The nurse checks them again when they return. :angel:

I really disliked my school nurse rotation. :ermm:

So sorry you are sick Cindercat As far as the snot nosed kid goes, you could try a "when/then" approach the next time that happens. Tell him, "When you use the washcloth/Then we will play with ' '. "
Then you just wait him out until the washcloth is used and play after he uses it. It actually works pretty good! :)

A couple different things. A) why doesn't anyone ever tell me when I have something on my face, or my makeup is messed up?? I spent my whole first class working with a group, with mascara on the side of my nose and nobody said a word!

B) If a clipped drivers license with the yellow papers is "valid" why can't you open a bank account with it??? I tried to open an account before I renewed my license, and they said my address had to match the one on my ID. I didn't want to renew it too soon though, in case it came fast and we weren't moved in yet. Ok fine, so today I went back with renewed ID, yellow papers in hand, and I still can't open an account!!! Having a bank that's 2 1/2 hrs away is not convenient for depositing/cashing my checks... Grrrrr!!!

chopper said:
So sorry you are sick Cindercat As far as the snot nosed kid goes, you could try a "when/then" approach the next time that happens. Tell him, "When you use the washcloth/Then we will play with ' '. "
Then you just wait him out until the washcloth is used and play after he uses it. It actually works pretty good! :)

That's what we did. He now at least makes an effort to do it himself with both soap & water. We still make sure we sanitize the sink, tables, pencils & computer everyday. Our new challenge is getting him to eat. His dad was sending saltines, bbq chips & peanuts everyday because that's all he wanted. He now gets free lunch at school & dad wants us to get him to eat more. Today was 1st day with school food. He refused to eat anything. We told him he could pick one thing to eat some of or give up some beloved computer time. He still didn't eat & chose to lose time. He kept begging to use a phone to have dad bring his lunch. We didn't give him a phone. It wouldn't have helped anyone. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Skittle68 said:
A couple different things. A) why doesn't anyone ever tell me when I have something on my face, or my makeup is messed up?? I spent my whole first class working with a group, with mascara on the side of my nose and nobody said a word!

Before I got my job I substituted in schools. One school hired me for a week to start a new section of 1st grade. The teacher they hired instead of me for the full-time position had a family emergency so I got to do all the work of setting up the class, creating reading & math groups, writing lesson plans, doing recess duty daily with a 20 minute lunch & no special classes so no other breaks. This was the day of purple ditto copying. I copied papers before school & went about my day. I went all morning, through lunch in the teacher's room & recess duty with my brother's SIL. I finally got a bathroom break around 2pm, looked in the mirror & saw a huge purple streak going down the side of my face. No one bothered to tell me!

Skittle68 said:

B) If a clipped drivers license with the yellow papers is "valid" why can't you open a bank account with it??? I tried to open an account before I renewed my license, and they said my address had to match the one on my ID. I didn't want to renew it too soon though, in case it came fast and we weren't moved in yet. Ok fine, so today I went back with renewed ID, yellow papers in hand, and I still can't open an account!!! Having a bank that's 2 1/2 hrs away is not convenient for depositing/cashing my checks... Grrrrr!!!

Oh Skittle, and Cindercat, how I wish people would just come out and tell us! I want to hear if there's a piece of spinach in my teeth, or my fly's down, or there's a booger hanging. Goes without saying with mascara or ink on the face. I guess we are all too polite, though I try to make a point of telling folks about something that might be embarassing. It's easier with telling kids.

How frustrating about your bank account, Skittle.

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
Oh Skittle, and Cindercat, how I wish people would just come out and tell us! I want to hear if there's a piece of spinach in my teeth, or my fly's down, or there's a booger hanging. Goes without saying with mascara or ink on the face. I guess we are all too polite, though I try to make a point of telling folks about something that might be embarassing. It's easier with telling kids.

Well...since I work with kids with autism spectrum disorders all the time, I always know when I have something on my face. They are the first to let you know. ;)

I'm the kind of person who will tell you about that stuff. I learned that I should probably ask someone else to tell the person if I am the boss. I told my receptionist that she had egg on her shirt and she went into panic mode. I couldn't convince her that I wasn't criticizing, I was just trying to prevent embarrassment. :(

TL, I too am one of those that will tell you. Tags sticking out in the back, fly open, lipstick smeared, etc. Even total strangers. I always get a thank you. And if necessary I will help them correct the problem. Sorry guys. You have to do your own open fly. Nobody wants to go through life looking like they just got out of bed and still in the PJ's. :angel:

Addie said:
TL, I too am one of those that will tell you. Tags sticking out in the back, fly open, lipstick smeared, etc. Even total strangers. I always get a thank you. And if necessary I will help them correct the problem. Sorry guys. You have to do your own open fly. Nobody wants to go through life looking like they just got out of bed and still in the PJ's. :angel:

Only exception I would make for the fly if it was an amputee or something. Then I might offer a hand ;)

chopper said:
Well...since I work with kids with autism spectrum disorders all the time, I always know when I have something on my face. They are the first to let you know. ;)

:LOL: True, dat!

In the short time I've been home from work, I've gotten 3 calls from Out of Area, and 2 calls from Toll Free. I don't even know these guys.

Thankful for Caller ID. There's the phone again, another one from Out of Area. This is ridiculous. Heh. And another 3...

Last edited:
In the short time I've been home from work, I've gotten 3 calls from Out of Area, and 2 calls from Toll Free. I don't even know these guys.

Thankful for Caller ID. There's the phone again, another one from Out of Area. This is ridiculous. Heh. And another 3...

Ahd I let those calls go to the fax machine. :angel:

I am fuming mad at the city. I got an automated call this morning at 08h45 telling me that the "boil water advisory" was over as of 07h00 this morning. That's very nice. They forgot to tell me to boil my water! Maybe that's why Stirling has been having stomach issues and mine haven't gone away.

I phoned the city and they said that they had sent a letter and that the advisory had started Thursday! I didn't get a letter. I'm going to ask my neighbours if they got one.

Wait a second. You get a reverse 911 call to tell you not to boil your water but they sent a letter to warn you to boil water! That's ass-backwards.

Wait a second. You get a reverse 911 call to tell you not to boil your water but they sent a letter to warn you to boil water! That's ass-backwards.
Well, normally that would be backwards. But, we are having our water mains "rehabilitated". They probably switched us back to the main that got "rehabilitated", from the temporary water supply, so they would know in advance when they were going to do that. They say the water test results are good now.

Where the h e double hockey sticks is my favorite paring knife???? Seriously! It was my Mom's and it's PERFECT for doing all manner of small things. Cleaning strawberries, doing beans etc from the garden. AAAARGH! This is frustrating.

Alix said:
Where the h e double hockey sticks is my favorite paring knife???? Seriously! It was my Mom's and it's PERFECT for doing all manner of small things. Cleaning strawberries, doing beans etc from the garden. AAAARGH! This is frustrating.

Hope it shows up soon! What a frustration for you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom