Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where the h e double hockey sticks is my favorite paring knife???? Seriously! It was my Mom's and it's PERFECT for doing all manner of small things. Cleaning strawberries, doing beans etc from the garden. AAAARGH! This is frustrating.

It's with my missing Tapioca...and TL's cup of coffee.

So far this week: lost my favorite sweater, ripped my favorite shirt, put a 3 1/2 inch scratch in the hood of my car, locked myself out of our apartment, Sproutlet #2 managed to lock us out of the bathroom (thank goodness she wasn't inside), and Sproutlet #1 made by far the biggest Sharpie mural I've ever seen in her bedroom while I cleaned the kitchen. I should have gotten suspicious way sooner, but I was finally getting my kitchen clean, Sproutlet #2 was playing happily within my sight and I was calling back and forth with Sproutlet #1 every couple minutes ("What are you doing?" "Playing in my room!" "Ok!"). I didn't even see it coming. She drew on the hall wall, the door to her room, the wall just inside, the diaper pale, the wall just above it, the changing table, the crib, their dresser, the wall next to the dresser, her new bed, her old toddler bed, the wall next to her bed, her bedsheet, and her closet door. the majority of these drawings are big, like, at least 1'x3'.

Also, the door knobs in our apartment aren't normal door knobs that can be unlocked by simply putting something pointy in a hole and popping it open, or even using one of those little doodads to unlock it. The maintenance guy has to come and get it open. It happened too late for him to come today. We have another bathroom so it's not considered an emergency. However, everything I use to get ready for work in the morning is in the bathroom, so I guess no makeup or even brushing my hair before work tomorrow, and my contact lense case, solution, and glasses are also in there. Thank goodness I keep my tooth brush in the other bathroom. Oh yeah, and I also discovered today that DH has still not taken out the recycling like he said he would Monday and someone (very well could have been me) didn't rinse out a milk carton before putting it in, so now my pantry reeks of sour milk. I'm really, really hoping that since it's Wednesday, I'm over the hump and the rest of the week will be much easier! I'm sure I'll laugh about most of this soon, but it's a bit frustrating at the moment!

Sprout, my sister, who was in her mid teens at the time, was told that she could decorate her room any way she wanted. It was a bribe because she hadn't wanted to move from Saskatoon to the West Coast. My parents painted her walls a very pale mauve (her choice) and left her to it.

She painted a 2 ft by 3 ft Haida mask in black ink (the liquid kind that is very dark and permanent) on the wall across from the door. They never knew because she kept the door closed until she was done.

Years later when my Grandfather was moving in to the room, we had to paint it. It took 7 coats of a special sealer paint before the ink was covered. However, it would very quietly bleed through, giving a spooky look to the wall. When I took over the room I painted it again and still couldn't get it out.

When my parents sold the house we told them to charge a little extra for the "haunted room" :LOL:

I hope for your sake the hairspray works! ;)

Isopropyl alcohol works even better than hairspray and it's cheaper. Actually, it's the alcohol in the hairspray that makes the hairspray work to get out ink.

I just remember trying to clean up red marker off my pale lavender walls with hairspray after my brother got an artistic streak...:rolleyes:

When I was in kindergarten I was very proud of learning to make a capital M for my name. I went home and found one of the dozens of black permanent markers my dad left laying around and wrote a big M on anything I considered mine (or wanted to be mine, like my sister's change purse). I clearly remember the tanning I got for that. No amount of hairspray took it off some things. Our "shared" life-sized doll forever had a M on her wrist.

Better than what one of my 2nd grade students wrote everywhere she got a chance (in books, classroom doorways all over the school, restrooms, everywhere she could get her pencil--and thank goodness it was pencil). Everywhere she went she left the word a**. On the other hand, if my mother had abandoned me in the middle of a WalMart when I was 2 or 3 and never came back, I might write that all over too.

Hearing horror stories from my friends, I had bought a chalk board for child #1, my daughter. All writing implements were kept in a basket on top of the fridge. Even I had to climb on a chair to reach them. No coloring books and crayons until they were about six years old. I knew I was stunting their education development, but I left the artistic side up to the schools. by the time the fourth kid came along, my daughter was in the first grade and could understand why she had rules about crayons. Her brother who was only 17 months younger than her, had a streak of "how does this work" in him. She learned very quickly about the rules when he broke every crayon in her box wanting to see what was inside of them. The broken crayons were put away, and a new box of 64 were bought again for her. By the time my son was starting to go to school, he got the box of broken crayons. I first wanted to see if he was able to live by the rules of not leaving them out for the younger siblings to get their hands on. Nope. There were some lovely circles on the wallpaper in his room and the living room. No crayons for him until I was able to clean up or wallpaper the two rooms. It was about six months before I could get around to cleaning up the living room and a bit longer for his room. By then he had learned. No problems with the last two siblings. By the time son #3 came along, the next one was ten y.o. No problem there. :angel:

Crayons really are something we have to supervise, as well as markers, glue and scissors. My kids were allowed to use them often, but only when I was with them. Then my son went to kindergarten, and cut the place mats in the play dough center. He followed that by cutting the towels in the bathroom at home...so far his kids have used every marker they can find to draw everywhere. I thought it was kinda funny until they came to my house and used the markers on my leather couch in the living room. Hair spray to the rescue!

Hairspray is my friend, the best thing to take out pen ink. For some reason, regular isospropyl doesn't work as well for me.

Hairspray is my friend, the best thing to take out pen ink. For some reason, regular isospropyl doesn't work as well for me.

When my kids were growing up, they didn't have the marker pens. Only India ink for marking laundry for camp. So crayons were always the culprit to watch out for. :angel:

When we first came to move stuff in to our new place, it was filthy. Layer of dirt on everything, food in the fridge and on the stove, etc. So much so, that we payed to stay in the room we were renting for an extra week so the landlords could come back and try again. They did. But we didn't get moved in until 3 days ago because of that. Ok, we are nice people, we want to get along with our landlords, so fine. We didn't say anything. Last night while we were in the middle of doing laundry, the septic alarm went off telling us it was full. Um, what?? We were told, "Don't worry, it will be emptied before you move in." So, I sent a message asking if he forgot to empty it. Apparently he decided to just wait until it needed it, then have us take care of it, and pro-rate it. NOT part of the agreement. Anyway, let's divide the $80 it costs to empty the tank, by the 3 months or so it takes to fill it, and see how much we owe for three days of water, then divide our rent by 30 days, and take away the 10 days we paid for and were unable to move in and see if he still wants to talk about "pro-rating". Then, after the alarm went off, the dryer shorted out all the electricity in the laundry room. The breakers are all fine, no idea what the deal is. Landlord will probably say, "Well, it's a rustic cabin, not a brand new apartment." That's what he said when we complained that the place was not ready to move in. Pretty sure the ad said "lake front HOME" not "lake front cabin". It is a cabin that was renovated and converted into a house. It is fairly modern, not rustic. Grr. Not impressed. No, not at all. When Mike calls about the electricity in the laundry room he's also going to mention the furnace that shakes the entire house and obviously needs to be serviced, and the dripping bath tub faucet. The pump kicks on roughly every 20 min, and all that water is going into the tank we have to empty. Since it is lake front there is no leeching field, just a tank. This is why I hate moving. Nothing but problems...

Last edited:
Oh man Skittle, what a PITA. I hope this all gets worked out well and quickly, so you can start enjoying your lakefront home.

taxlady said:
Oh man Skittle, what a PITA. I hope this all gets worked out well and quickly, so you can start enjoying your lakefront home.

Thanks. We are enjoying it for the most part. Just met the neighbor today. Their huge monstrosity of a house takes up pretty much the entire horizontal portion of their lot, so their house is right on top of ours. Because it's so close, the cats like to go on their patio. This morning their little dog was tearing back and forth in our yard, so I went out and said hi to him and the dog, and said "What a cute dog!" Thinking if I don't make a big deal about his dog, he might ignore our cats lol. He seems really nice, so hopefully it won't be an issue. Two of the paintings we have happen to resemble what you see when you look outside, so we have them hanging on those respective walls :) Kind of neat to see the same thing in the painting as you do looking out the window next to it. Love the lake view, and the woods on the side away from the neighbor. We might build a screen house and put it between us and the neighbor to sort of block off our yard and have a little more privacy. Luckily they seem to just hang out in the house a lot.

I don't want to be a naysayer but, keep an eye on your pipes as it gets colder!

Quaint, rustic, lakefront homes with lots of charm and potential
tend to have some hidden secrets. Like frozen drains and pipes!

Good luck and hope you enjoy it once you settle in and make it a home!

Aunt Bea said:

Quaint, rustic, lakefront homes with lots of charm and potential tend to have some hidden secrets. Like frozen drains and pipes!

Thanks :) we asked if they ever have issues with pipes freezing and he said no. Hopefully it won't be an issue, but if it is, at least one of the benefits of being a renter is that he will have to deal with it. It would definitely be a PITA tho!!

Quaint, rustic, lakefront homes with lots of charm and potential
tend to have some hidden secrets. Like frozen drains and pipes!

:LOL:

I love the way you put that Bea.

I timed the dripping water into a bucket, and it appears to drip about 2 1/2 cups of water an hour. That's just over 3 1/2 gallons a day!! Besides being a waste of water, that's 100 gallons of water a month we have to pay to have pumped and hauled away!! The bucket is staying, and I'll water the flowers with it until its fixed. Humph. It needs a new faucet anyway. You have to pull the handle outward to turn the water on, and the whole setup pulls forward 3/4" when you do it. The caulk is all torn away from the shower wall because of it and I feel like I'm going to break it every time. After the tub is fixed, and the electric issue is figured out, it seems like we should be in pretty decent shape.

Back
Top Bottom