"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #1611
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I am a little hyper sensitive about smells, I didn't want a cat, but my mom thought that I should have one. I don't want my house to smell like a cat lives here. My grandmother had cats and was a terrible housekeeper, so that has always stuck with me. I have a friend that's house always smells like a litter box, she has one cat! Her house is fairly neat, but she keeps the box in the KITCHEN, and isn't diligent about keeping it tidy. I couldn't imagine keeping it in the same room where I prepared food!

Of all the stuff that I've used in the 13 years I've owned him this is by far the best.
Yeah, that smell is not pleasant. I don't understand the "cat box in the kitchen" thing either. I always put it next to a toilet. That just seems like the right place for it.

I'm glad you got to have a cat, but you do realize that you don't own the cat, don't you? Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #1612
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, that smell is not pleasant. I don't understand the "cat box in the kitchen" thing either. I always put it next to a toilet. That just seems like the right place for it.

I'm glad you got to have a cat, but you do realize that you don't own the cat, don't you? Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

My little guy (Burt) goes outside to do his "business". But when I first got him as a tiny kitten, he had to stay inside of course - so his litter tray was just next to the loo. I cannot imagine why anyone would put a litter tray in a kitchen.

And TL is quite right. We are our cat's servants!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #1613
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Ain't many things more distressing than waking up to find one's coffeemaker has bit the dust. How can something break overnight when it isn't being used?
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #1614
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Ain't many things more distressing than waking up to find one's coffeemaker has bit the dust. How can something break overnight when it isn't being used?
The same way my new floor fan was going just fine. I shut it off and a half hour later it would not work.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #1615
Chef Extraordinaire

Six and a half years ago I had a hole in the bottom half of my right leg that was six inches long and about 4.5 inches across. The bone was showing and you could see the blood vessels along with the back of my leg. And it was extremely painful, needless to say. I was being cared for at Massachusetts General Hospital. A world wide known health facility.

In the year and a half once I turned 65 I was told that I was difficult to treat because I was not a 'full payment' patient. In other words Medicare paid only 80% of what the hospital and doctors received on their bills. Every time I went there, they wanted to take the easy way out and amputate my leg. I flatly refused and demanded that they do their job. My vascular doctor sent my to a plastic surgeon. He didn't want to do the job because he had a perfect record and didn't want me to be his first failure because I smoked. When I quit smoking he would close the wound up. He got only three visits from me before I walked out of MGH and headed over to BMC and ESP. In less than a month I had the necessary surgery and was able to dance at Poo's wedding and the traditional dance with my son.

Today I received the best news possible. I have been vindicated. Massachusetts General Hospital has been rated next to last for care of patients in Massachusetts. The only hospital lower than them is a very small hospital down near Rhode Island and only because they have no money and are in the throes of closing their doors. Then MGH will be right at the bottom! Right where they belong. And to think that at one time MGH was rated the best hospital in the world. Is there an emoticon for a happy dance?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #1616
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Bummer. I hope you have an alternative way to make coffee.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #1617
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Sure do...had to kick up a fire in the firepit.
I 'spect Mrs Hoot will fetch a new coffeemaker home this evenin'.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1618
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sure do...had to kick up a fire in the firepit.
I 'spect Mrs Hoot will fetch a new coffeemaker home this evenin'.
You could have put that pot on the stove. You just wanted a reason to kick up a fire.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1619
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bummer. I hope you have an alternative way to make coffee.
He could make cowboy coffee. Just a lot of grounds in the bottom of the pot, a pinch of salt and an egg shell. Then cook it over a campfire. No milk or sugar.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #1620
Executive Chef

Quote:

Not the best way to start the day huh? Hope Mrs Hoot found you a good one !

I bought a cheapo and keep it just in case of emergency. We have used it during power failures because I can heat the water and pour it in, no need for electricity. We also had a coffee maker die one night so pulled out the emergency one and even though it doesn't make the hottest coffee, it beats no coffee !!