"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1691
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have to go back to work tomorrow.... I've been off for over 2 weeks. I need to win the lottery!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #1692
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
We all do lol

Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #1693
Proud American

I had a bad day today. But I came from it with the calmness of knowing I am loved by my dearest DA and others.

Life is so wonderful! No matter what.

~Cat
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #1694
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

People on facebook posting political crap. They aren't adding to the conversation, just complaining. When you try to have a rational discussion with them, you realize that they have no idea what they are talking about. It's very frustrating.

I've hidden most of those people. I don't post political stuff. I was raised that you don't discuss politics or religion in mixed company. So why do people think that FB is the proper place to bring up politics? Do they think that they are going to change any minds? The best way to do this is having rational discussions and be educated on the issues, not just posting inflammatory rants are only going to tick people off.

I think that banning political discussions on forums like this is a great idea.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #1695
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
People on facebook posting political crap. They aren't adding to the conversation, just complaining. When you try to have a rational discussion with them, you realize that they have no idea what they are talking about. It's very frustrating.

I've hidden most of those people. I don't post political stuff. I was raised that you don't discuss politics or religion in mixed company. So why do people think that FB is the proper place to bring up politics? Do they think that they are going to change any minds? The best way to do this is having rational discussions and be educated on the issues, not just posting inflammatory rants are only going to tick people off.

I have friends on FB that post their political views in a rational, calm, and insightful manner. They are extremely passionate about their views but they are polite to people who disagree with them and encourage intelligent discourse in their postings. I absolutely cherish these people because they are so greatly out numbered by the people who are beligerent, confrontational, insulting, ignorant, obstinate, and just plain rude in the way they express their beliefs.

Unfortunately, these kinds of comments aren't limited to politics or religion. You can see posts on FB, forums, comments sections about almost any subject and find people who simply have no manners and only want to cause contention. It's sad, and you're absolutely correct that it doesn't change people's views, except perhaps of how valuable "friends" might be if they are so willing, and sometimes eager, to cause trouble.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #1696
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
People on facebook posting political crap. They aren't adding to the conversation, just complaining...

Political is just one of the kinds of the crap people post on FB.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #1697
Executive Chef

Quote:

Agreed. I was raised you don't discuss politics, religion or abortion because there will never be any agreement on any of those topics.

I think people get kind of "puffed up" on FB and get carried away. They don't think of other people's feelings or opinions and it seems they want to shove stuff down your throat.

I'm all for a good discussion, but not a fight.

I also appreciate the few restrictions we have here .. keeps the place nice and clean and a ton of fun.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #1698
Chef Extraordinaire

There is only one reason I have an account on FB. To be able to view family photos. Unless I receive a notice that there are new pictures, I never go there. And any response I post is short and sweet or just a thumbs up. Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #1699
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.
This is not true. Your intellectual property remains your property. By using the service, you grant Fb a license to use your intellectual property subject to how you have set your privacy and application settings. This ends when you delete your account.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1700
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is not true. Your intellectual property remains your property. By using the service, you grant Fb a license to use your intellectual property subject to how you have set your privacy and application settings. This ends when you delete your account.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
And most folks don't even read the privacy notice. Specially today's young folks.