"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #1701
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is only one reason I have an account on FB. To be able to view family photos. Unless I receive a notice that there are new pictures, I never go there. And any response I post is short and sweet or just a thumbs up. Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.
I really appreciate Facebook, it's actually brought me closer to a lot of friends and family. I have family that have scattered all over and for the most part we had lost touch, I would get updates on their lives through my mom but timing was never right for us to all be at home in Maine at the same time. Facebook has brought us closer.

With that said, I have a lot of friends hidden because they are just annoying and have no clue how to behave on social media, some I have unfriended, but if it is someone I care about but just don't want to them cluttering up my newsfeed , or I don't want to see constant negativity.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #1702
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I think that my vacuum sealer is dying. Got a great deal on ground chuck, and it took forever to seal 15 packs. First it would suck out all of the air but wouldn't go into seal mode, then when it would it would take forever to get there.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #1703
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I think that my vacuum sealer is dying. Got a great deal on ground chuck, and it took forever to seal 15 packs. First it would suck out all of the air but wouldn't go into seal mode, then when it would it would take forever to get there.
I've found the same thing happening with my Foodsaver too, BC. Mine is about 8 years old. I have my eye on an upright model now, takes up much less counter space.

Oh, crap, too late now, but it could have been on your registery.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #1704
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

I've found the same thing happening with my Foodsaver too, BC. Mine is about 8 years old. I have my eye on an upright model now, takes up much less counter space.

Oh, crap, too late now, but it could have been on your registery.
Yeah, I wish I had thought of that! Well we do have gift cards for target so we could use those. Mine is a Rival seal-a-meal brand that I got for about $25 maybe 6 years ago at Big Lots, so I've definitely got my money's worth out of it!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1705
Honey Badger

Just woke up.I'd give anything to crawl back into my bed again. I'm tired.

My neighbors one behind me, one next door decided to have a show down with noise. I mean seriously loud window rattling noise. Yelling back and forth. Oooooommmmmmmmpaaaaapaaaahhhh music. All day starting at 1pm. Didn't stop until well after 2:30 am. The more one complained the worse it got. We were stuck in the middle. Noticed the only English version song that wasn't translated into Spanish was "Ice,Ice Baby" Bad word around here.

I see looking out the window the Oompa Loompa's still have the party tent up. This Lolly Pop Kid wants to beat them up!

Munky.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #1706
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

My neighbors one behind me, one next door decided to have a show down with noise. I mean seriously loud window rattling noise. Yelling back and forth. Oooooommmmmmmmpaaaaapaaaahhhh music. All day starting at 1pm. Didn't stop until well after 2:30 am. The more one complained the worse it got. We were stuck in the middle. Noticed the only English version song that wasn't translated into Spanish was "Ice,Ice Baby" Bad word around here.

I see looking out the window the Oompa Loompa's still have the party tent up. This Lolly Pop Kid wants to beat them up!

Munky.
Your story reminded me of my youth!

Forty years ago my friends and I rented a camp on a lake. We decided to have a party and the party lasted most of the night. At about 6:00am the next morning the elderly Polish couple in the camp next to ours cranked the stereo with a collection of Jimmy Sturr's greatest polka hits. No one from either camp ever said a word and we all lived quietly ever after!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1707
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post

Munky.
I will not hesitate to call the police about loud noise late at night. Most localities have ordinances saying you have the right to "quiet enjoyment of your property." I'd have called the police at midnight.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #1708
Chef Extraordinaire

Around here quiet time starts at 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. The police start driving slow in the summertime listening to anyone having a party in their backyard and it is too loud after ten p.m. If the offending piece of equipment is your music, and they have to come back a second time, you will find your equipment being confiscated.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #1709
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Around here quiet time starts at 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. The police start driving slow in the summertime listening to anyone having a party in their backyard and it is too loud after ten p.m. If the offending piece of equipment is your music, and they have to come back a second time, you will find your equipment being confiscated.
Our upstairs neighbor found out the no noise after 10 pm included using their washer and dryer. They both thrum through our apartment. They also found out I don't mind getting up at 3 am to vacuum and waking their little one up. She loves to run and carry on. They found that out after a 1 am vacuum marathon they had staged.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #1710
Executive Chef

Two days off and I just came down with a doozy of a head cold.