"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #1741
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Gee, I can't stand it when Patron sits next to me and whines, I have to pick him up and make it stop! Living next to dogs that barked all the time, I would go postal.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #1742
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
ROFL !!!

DH and I were talking this morning that we wish there was a way we could remotely ring their doorbell. Those dogs all go nuts when their doorbell rings. We would remotely ring it around ... oh .. say ... 2am, 3 am, 4 am etc. Don't have a big ole diesel to annoy them with ... got to come up with something !!!
I have an older Dodge 3000 diesel that I won't need until we pull our boat out of the water at the end of October. Ohio isn't that far.....it needs a good warm up in the morning.....about 15 min. It smokes like crazy for about the first 30 minutes.......would it do?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1743
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
CG?

Could it be you and I have the exact neighbor?
Same thing goes on here. They let the kids scream on end. Dogs yap day & night. How they love to out yell each other....

Even our sons get annoyed at all the noise from that place. One has been getting even. He idles his big ol' Diesel truck in the driveway a little longer than he normally would. It's parked right next to their bedroom window...
Not the same neighbors..."my" Mom has kids better behaved than she is. Plus her husband doesn't get much of a chance to yell back, if you get my drift...

AND this neighbor used to have TWO diesel big box trucks that he would park in front - the one closer to our driveway was the one that worked, the other was broken down. They were parked in such a way and our houses are on a bit of a curve so that both Himself and I darn near got T-boned a couple of times just trying to get out of our driveway. Then the nice neighbor across the street noticed that the broken truck didn't have a plate...called the police ...truck was removed...

Quote:
DH and I were talking this morning that we wish there was a way we could remotely ring their doorbell. Those dogs all go nuts when their doorbell rings. We would remotely ring it around ... oh .. say ... 2am, 3 am, 4 am etc. Don't have a big ole diesel to annoy them with ... got to come up with something !!!
Can't think of a way to rig their doorbell, but would a speaker hidden in their bushes help? You could always use a wireless one and play the sound of a doorbell ringing via remote. Don't know exactly what you would need to do to make it work, but I bet it could be done. I've been sorely tempted to put a large speaker off the back corner of the house that's activated by sound - every time the dogs back the Ohio State Fight Song blasts away in the direction of their house! *sigh* Sometime just thinking these things makes me a little happier.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #1744
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
I have an older Dodge 3000 diesel that I won't need until we pull our boat out of the water at the end of October. Ohio isn't that far.....it needs a good warm up in the morning.....about 15 min. It smokes like crazy for about the first 30 minutes.......would it do?
LOL Yeah that would help - expecially the smoking part !!!

Only problem is they are diagonal across my back yard. Let me check with the people who are next door to them LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Can't think of a way to rig their doorbell, but would a speaker hidden in their bushes help? You could always use a wireless one and play the sound of a doorbell ringing via remote. Don't know exactly what you would need to do to make it work, but I bet it could be done. I've been sorely tempted to put a large speaker off the back corner of the house that's activated by sound - every time the dogs back the Ohio State Fight Song blasts away in the direction of their house! *sigh* Sometime just thinking these things makes me a little happier.
Hmmm ... maybe a canon blast !!!

Reminds me of a few summers ago when we had to put a walkie talkie inside the bird feeder.

The squirrels kept getting into it and eating all the bird food.

We would fill the feeder and halfway through filling it we would put in a walkie talkie, then finish filling it.

We would wait until they were happily munching away then yell into the walkie talkie .. OMG now THAT'S the way you make a squirrel run

And did you know that squirrels can actually scream
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #1745
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm ... maybe a canon blast !!!

Reminds me of a few summers ago when we had to put a walkie talkie inside the bird feeder.

We would fill the feeder and halfway through filling it we would put in a walkie talkie, then finish filling it.

We would wait until they were happily munching away then yell into the walkie talkie .. OMG now THAT'S the way you make a squirrel run

Okay, officially on the floor... that is hysterical!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #1746
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

I really want to try that! Although I think one of our squirrels is brain damaged, and that would be really mean...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1747
Honey Badger

Insurance Co's. GAH!!!!!!!!

We just found out after all these years thisclose to retirement. That we have a week to provide a copy of our marriage certificate,birth certificates to our existing health insurance company.IF we still want to keep our insurance. Are they stuck on stupid? They've never asked before.

They can't even provide decent, timely authorization for home medical equipment. I declined it as a precaution of the out of pocket money I'd have to pay.
I'm now thinking of cancelling it all. Better off seeking out a vet. They don't require insurance yet. You know what they say. Good enough for my dog. Good enough for me.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1748
Master Chef

Munky, that's terrible notice! How much you want to bet that this has been in the ACA for the last, what, four years? And they just realized they didn't do something they needed to do? Either that, or it took four years to read through that 2000+ page document. :erm:

We just got a bill from the provider for Himself's lab work five months ago! The appointment was about five weeks before COBRA ended. I figured by the time the bill went from the lab to the insurance company, then the insurance company got around to processing the claim, the policy had ended and we were no longer insured on that plan. They probably fought over whether or not they had to pay. Fortunately for us, the bill that showed up today is only for our part. *phew* Hope you have the same kind of happy results when your problem is resolved. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #1749
Master Chef

I've had it with the corruption of the word "guest". Disney invites "Be Our Guest, Be Our Guest". Target says "I can help the next guest". Many hotels call the help department "Guest Services". And yet the people still expect me to PAY! Do they not know the meaning of the word "guest"?

NOUN:
a person who is entertained, taken out to eat, etc, and paid for by another

I'm a customer. Customers have to pay their own way. Just calls it like I sees it, OK? Otherwise I'll start refusing to pay my bills.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #1750
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
We signed up for do not call. Did or does that stop them NOPE so I ask them to take me off the call list most do but there are several who keep trying but my phone shows me who is calling so I just let it ring then they stop for several days and then come back ICKKKKK
kades
It depends on the mood I am in. Sometimes I will answer and play with them. Let them give me their spiel, let them think I am really interested and then when they start to want the financial information, I tell them I don't have control over my money. I will have to contact the bank and ask them for permission. CLICK! How Rude! Other times I just hang up in the middle of their speech.