Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I disagree with the cardiologist. Jerk!

What thinner are you taking, what dose and what dose of aspirin? You can PM me that info.

Stupid cardiologist, what a jerk!

There's a reason it's called "practicing" medicine....

Laurie, sure hope you can get this resolved!

I would absolutely count them right in front of the pharmacy person before leaving. Once you step away they could say you took them.

I actually had this happen when I was charged with picking presecriptions for my late father in law. The first time we thought innocent mistake, 2nd time began to wonder, 3rd time .. no way. 4th time I opened the bottle right then and there and counted them out and sure enough .. short.

Better to assume an error but repetition is not a mistake.

Cute, Barbara! ;)

So, my GP talked to the cardiologist who said he put me on the aspirin and blood thinner for a reason and I should just suck it up and not worry about the bruising unless I have other bleeding as PF said.

My doctor is fuming! She didn't send me to this guy, the hospital did and while she isn't a cardiologist she said my tests don't seem so bad - that the angiogram is just to be safe and with my other conditions she is worried more about the drugs and the bruising than me having a heart attack. She is going to get me in to see a new cardiologist ASAP. She won't change the medication until she can get the second opinion but if I have other symptoms I am to go off the aspirin first and then contact her office ASAP.

My doctor is really good (she actually phoned me today twice and the cardiologist on her day off because the receptionist thought it was serious enough to contact her). She wants us to photograph the bruising and I need to phone in the morning for an emergency appointment to see her as she is fully booked. They know I will be calling but they have to follow procedure.

This is the second time a doctor has told me to "suck it up". The first one was an orthopedic surgeon who said that no one would touch my knee for 10 years and I would just have to suck it up with the pain and inability to walk. I had the replacement surgery 6 months later by another doctor who when it was done said I couldn't have waited one year let alone 10! :wacko:
If you and I weren't nice Christian ladies, I would suggest that you wave your fist in that cardiologist's face and say, "Oh yeah?! Suck THIS up!" :angel::LOL::angel:

Laurie your GP sounds great and your cardiologist is an ass. If it was me, I'd change cardiologists.

I hope you and the GP can get your stuff straight ASAP. Take care.

That cardiologist sounds like one of the doctors I dealt with in the ER a couple of years ago. I had fallen on the sidewalk and my knee hurt like the dickens. I had broken my kneecap 10 years previously, so I had a brace for that. I was wearing it at the ER.

Doctor, "Why are you wearing that?" points at the brace.
Me, "Because it hurts when I don't."
Doctor, "Quit being such a big baby."
Me, "But what if the kneecap is broken."
Doctor, "Don't be silly. It isn't broken."
Me, "Then why does it hurt like a broken bone."
Doctor, "It's arthritis." :wacko:

No, I don't have arthritis; yes, it was broken.

Someone should teach those doctors that the body doesn't make pain to be mean, it makes pain to tell you to change something or stop doing something.

If I had listened to that doctor walked around without the brace, I would probably have needed surgery and staples in the kneecap. That's what the other doctor told me.

let me add a bit more information to the above scenario: you are short 10 vicoden pills and 10 of another drug that same day. the second drug has no apparent street value to your knowledge. how would you handle this situation?

You could go back to the pharmacy and complain, if it was a mistake they can pick it up on their stockfile every pill and capsule is captured on the system when they receive it.
It may have been an honest mistake, sometimes patient are prescribed less than a full package of medication. From personal experience I know that mistakes can be made. Pharmacist mark opened boxes to prevent other pharmacist from dispensing them by accident but sometimes people forget to mark them.
Even if someone did take the meds it doesn't mean it was the Pharmacist than dispensed it to you. It could have been an assistant or intern.
Medication should be checked infront of patients and if not you should check before you pay for meds.
Mistakes happen, pharmacies get busy. I know on my worst day as a pharmacist I dispensed over 1000 prescriptions in one day.

1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.

1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.

Vicoden is a narcotic medication, their stock has to match the amount dispensed by federal law. If they have 100 tabs at opening, they must have 50 left if they dispensed 50 to a customer. The beginning and ending numbers MUST match.

I made a few small mistakes when I started working but honestly not even 1 after a few months of working there. You get so used to it that you can tell what a medication is without the package. We often had stray pills that fell out and I could identify them all just by look. We were not allowed to use the meds that were not in packages for patients but since we all knew exactly what they were, we put them in our first aid kit at work.
A stockfile is the record of all products that are in the pharmacy. When we receive an item it is captured on the computer system.
As a pharmacist you can then type in the name of any medication and the stockfile will show how many of that item are in store. Does this help?
So if you go back and say they gave you less they can check.
For example if they type in Vicodin and the stockfile says there are 500 Vicodin's in store but there are actually 510 then they can see you didn't receive your meds.

We did stocktaking once a month. Physically counted each pill and capsule by hand. Once a week assistants would also count as much as possible to double check amount.
Pain in the behind :LOL:
This is why I no longer work in a pharmacy, very stressfull and loads of responsibility!
You have to make sure to give all the right meds, read scripts from Dr's that sometimes write so badly that you can't tell what meds to give, mix liquid antibiotics and meds that come in powder form with distilled water and make sure you get the quantities just right. Make sure you don't use measuring jugs that are meant for toxic fluids, check patient allergies so you don't kill anyone and the list goes on!!!

I would never have that issue. Nobody would want the meds I take. I used Tylenol for pain management after Open Heart Surgery!!

I made a few small mistakes when I started working but honestly not even 1 after a few months of working there. You get so used to it that you can tell what a medication is without the package. We often had stray pills that fell out and I could identify them all just by look. We were not allowed to use the meds that were not in packages for patients but since we all knew exactly what they were, we put them in our first aid kit at work.
A stockfile is the record of all products that are in the pharmacy. When we receive an item it is captured on the computer system.
As a pharmacist you can then type in the name of any medication and the stockfile will show how many of that item are in store. Does this help?
So if you go back and say they gave you less they can check.
For example if they type in Vicodin and the stockfile says there are 500 Vicodin's in store but there are actually 510 then they can see you didn't receive your meds.

We did stocktaking once a month. Physically counted each pill and capsule by hand. Once a week assistants would also count as much as possible to double check amount.
Pain in the behind :LOL:
This is why I no longer work in a pharmacy, very stressfull and loads of responsibility!
You have to make sure to give all the right meds, read scripts from Dr's that sometimes write so badly that you can't tell what meds to give, mix liquid antibiotics and meds that come in powder form with distilled water and make sure you get the quantities just right. Make sure you don't use measuring jugs that are meant for toxic fluids, check patient allergies so you don't kill anyone and the list goes on!!!

your description of the work you did as a pharmacist's aide(?) was interesting to read. i can see how the heavy responsibilities together with the speed and accuracy demands of such work would turn many workers away, particularly the sensitive or highly nervous types.

it's good to know that there is a way to catch mistakes such as the one i experienced with the pharmacist and the vicodin. in this instance it is just as important to me that the pharmacist can be made to see that i, the patient, am not just trying to score some extra vicodins.:)

your description of the work you did as a pharmacist's aide(?) was interesting to read. i can see how the heavy responsibilities together with the speed and accuracy demands of such work would turn many workers away, particularly the sensitive or highly nervous types.

it's good to know that there is a way to catch mistakes such as the one i experienced with the pharmacist and the vicodin. in this instance it is just as important to me that the pharmacist can be made to see that i, the patient, am not just trying to score some extra vicodins.:)

It is a huge responsibilty but I resigned because I worked so much that I hardly ever saw my daughter. I'd leave the house before she woke up and sometimes come home to find her sleeping. I missed my baby, she was only a few months old.
I would really go back if I was you. In most cases they would only be too happy to fix the mistake.
Best thing to do is always go to the same pharmacy, once they know you well you won't have problems.

I grew up in my Dad's pharmacy. I started cleaning and stocking shelves on Sundays when I was 14 and when I got my Social Insurance Number at 15 started working for real at 15. I helped out counting pills as well as being responsible for the greeting cards and the magazine racks for my Mom who was the front store manager. I got to know a lot about medications at an early age, which is good because I am on so many now.

My grandfather was also a pharmacist and worked the odd day in Dad's store to give him a break. He always wanted me to become the third generation but even though I found it very interesting work, chemistry, physics and math were not my strong suits. I felt pressured but my parents said they did not want me to go into it and I could be whatever I wanted to be. It took me over 30 years to figure that out, but I had a lot of interesting jobs in the meantime!

if you were shorted on a prescription drug, and if that drug was vicoden, would you think it was a deliberate steal, or an honest mistake? then, if you were shorted on another prescription medication in the same exact way, what would be your thinking then? if you knew it was the pharmacist himself/herself that filled both rxes, would that change your perspective? if changing drug stores was not an option, what if anything would you do in order to make sure of a correct count in your future prescriptions?

Count them every time you get a refill. Specially if it is a pain med or narcotic. Then bring it to the attention of the head pharmacist. Find enough errors and by the same person filling the prescription, and let it be known you will no longer accept any script filled by that person in the future. You can always report it to the State License Board if it is the head pharmacist or if no action is taken at the pharamcy level. :angel:

I would absolutely count them right in front of the pharmacy person before leaving. Once you step away they could say you took them.

Here's another mark in the "sad state of affairs" column when you have to question the number of pills. I get my prescriptions filled at the local Publix grocery, and there's nearly always several people in line. It would be more than awkward to have to count out a handful of little round pills while standing there, or even a few steps away. (17, or was that 18, oh, wait. 1, 2, 3..) Maybe that's what the person (if guilty) counts on -- that and the embarrassment of your having to challenge the total. And if that's where you always go, you risk getting the reputation of trouble-maker or some such. What a crummy deal all around. Wish I had a solution to add for this -- but I don't; can't improve on Mrs. LMB's.

Just a sympatico petty vent. Hope the situation improves, Vit.

Here's another mark in the "sad state of affairs" column when you have to question the number of pills. I get my prescriptions filled at the local Publix grocery, and there's nearly always several people in line. It would be more than awkward to have to count out a handful of little round pills while standing there, or even a few steps away. (17, or was that 18, oh, wait. 1, 2, 3..) Maybe that's what the person (if guilty) counts on -- that and the embarrassment of your having to challenge the total. And if that's where you always go, you risk getting the reputation of trouble-maker or some such. What a crummy deal all around. Wish I had a solution to add for this -- but I don't; can't improve on Mrs. LMB's.

Just a sympatico petty vent. Hope the situation improves, Vit.

Two examples why you should count them before you leave the building and report any wrongdoing.

I always got a 14 day supply of Vicodin. When it came time to call in for a new prescription, I began to notice that I was missing that last days supply before I could call in again. Sure enough. The delivery man was lifting my meds for his son who was a drug addict. They now put all their pain meds in bubble packs. If your prescription calls for a 30 day supply, each pill is in an individual bubble and you can count them very quickly on the card right there.

I am supposed to get gabapentin for the pain and neuropathy in my leg. Sure enough, the Pharmacist Aide that was working on my meds, substituded a very similar pill in color and markings. I didn't think much of it until about three days later when I couldn't stop vomiting. Had I continued to take these pills for another day, I would have been dead. They were capsules for advanced Alzheimer's Disease. That Aide was also lifting some of them for a drug habit of her own. On that one I reported it to the State Department that regulates pharmacies. They completely changed their whole system of how the scripts are filled. Each patient is now coded. If the code of the medication doesn't match up with what is in the computer for the patient, the machine will not release the pills.

I don't care if I am branded a troublemaker. It is a better title than "DEAD."

My very life is dependent on those medications. I am dependent on the pharmacy getting it right the first time. :angel:

People are not all that bad. If you don't go into the Pharmacy with a nasty attitude or bite someone's head off they will more than likely help with a smile. I'm always kind and polite regardless of where I shop and I never assume that something was done on purpose until I know for sure. When staff treat me well I make a point of telling the manager how polite and friendly they are.
In return shops assistants treat me very well and even go beyond the call of duty when they see me. I get discounts and free samples and every time I go do my monthly shop they give me a free slab of chocolate.

right at this time, i am recovering from a compression fracture in my back, and having my meds delivered to me. hence the need for the pain pills in the first place, and the necessity for a pharmacy that can deliver. i cannot easily switch drug stores. i can count the pills in the presence of the delivery person, however, and in the privacy of my home.

the pharmacist, asked me in a real snide manner if i always count my pills. and actually, i don't--never even had a reason to question an rx before. but these vicodin are some HUGe horse pills. i had been getting a short squat pill bottle of 100 pills that filled the container. this time, the level looked noticably lower to me. even so, i was still surprised at the shortage--and even more so of my discovery of the second one.

i hate so much having to depend on other people anyway, especially for the most basic of services like this. i am soo ready to put an end to this latest, most disagreeable chapter of my so-called life....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom