"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1871
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Touchpad is the way to go. I barely have to lift a finger. There's altogether too much movement with a mouse.
With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #1872
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,383
Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1873
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
ACK...Yahoo just changed my Yahoo screen again. It's ugly and hard to read. The new themes look like they are painted on top and very hard to read. YUCK!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #1874
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Same here. Our building was wired for Rogers. We had everything else with Bell but were stuck until Bell came out with Fibe TV. It comes through our internet modem. Freedom at last.
Our part of Boston isn't even wired for Fiber Optics. The rest of Boston is though. The mayor signed a long term contract with Comcast. It is the main reason, after 20 years, he has decided to retire and I am happy. When Cable was coming to Boston, two cable companies wired this part of Boston. Comcast is wired above ground and on poles located in backyards to the homes. The other is all underground. The mayor decided to go with Comcast.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #1875
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
We are grandfathered in to a very old Verizon plan....$30 per month. My husband uses that phone and he insists on Verizon because their service is the best. Me? I have a Tracfone and I pay $20 for 90 days. We don't use our cell phones very much. LOL
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #1876
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Every month, Verizon sends me an email to tell me that my bill is available online. Then they send me a text, to tell me that my bill is available online. Then I get a bill in the mail, which I pay.

This makes me want to not pay the bill, and when they complain, I will say "I didn't get the bill!" LOL

Hopefully, I can call them and ask them to discontinue the email and text. I have had this phone for 15 years. I know that I can go online and see my bill.
I'm pretty sure you can log in online and make any changes you want
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1877
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.
For me having rock solid internet is something we really need. We have nobody offering a decent price, we have Uverse from At&t and Time Warner. Time Warner was so bad in this area, I'm not sure if I'd take them back even if it was nearly free. For TV it really is six of one, half dozen of another.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #1878
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier.
How would I go about disabling the touchpad?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1879
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How would I go about disabling the touchpad?
On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #1880
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!
You are a Wizard!!! Thank you so much!!! So easy!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.