"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1871
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Touchpad is the way to go. I barely have to lift a finger. There's altogether too much movement with a mouse.
With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #1872
Certified Pretend Chef

Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1873
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ACK...Yahoo just changed my Yahoo screen again. It's ugly and hard to read. The new themes look like they are painted on top and very hard to read. YUCK!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #1874
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Same here. Our building was wired for Rogers. We had everything else with Bell but were stuck until Bell came out with Fibe TV. It comes through our internet modem. Freedom at last.
Our part of Boston isn't even wired for Fiber Optics. The rest of Boston is though. The mayor signed a long term contract with Comcast. It is the main reason, after 20 years, he has decided to retire and I am happy. When Cable was coming to Boston, two cable companies wired this part of Boston. Comcast is wired above ground and on poles located in backyards to the homes. The other is all underground. The mayor decided to go with Comcast.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #1875
Executive Chef

We are grandfathered in to a very old Verizon plan....$30 per month. My husband uses that phone and he insists on Verizon because their service is the best. Me? I have a Tracfone and I pay $20 for 90 days. We don't use our cell phones very much. LOL
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #1876
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Every month, Verizon sends me an email to tell me that my bill is available online. Then they send me a text, to tell me that my bill is available online. Then I get a bill in the mail, which I pay.

This makes me want to not pay the bill, and when they complain, I will say "I didn't get the bill!" LOL

Hopefully, I can call them and ask them to discontinue the email and text. I have had this phone for 15 years. I know that I can go online and see my bill.
I'm pretty sure you can log in online and make any changes you want
Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1877
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Whoever runs your buildings has a contract with a specific provider, Comcast, Rogers or whomever. If they want to negotiate a better deal with another provider, they can pass the savings on to you.

I live in a condo complex and Verizon FiOS came in and put FiOS cabling in the ground to service every unit. Then they tried to sell each condo owner on switching over to FiOS. It was an individual decision. If you decided to switch, they just hooked up FiOS to the existing wiring in the condo unit.

I was happy with Comcast except for the pricing so I switched to FiOS and am saving a ton each month. My business goes to the lowest bidder.
For me having rock solid internet is something we really need. We have nobody offering a decent price, we have Uverse from At&t and Time Warner. Time Warner was so bad in this area, I'm not sure if I'd take them back even if it was nearly free. For TV it really is six of one, half dozen of another.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #1878
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
With a notepad and smaller keys, as a real typist I find the touchpad gets tapped at the most inopportune time. I have tried disabling/enabling the pad when I type but I had to perform that function too many times. Frankly, if my ONLY choices were touchpad or a mouse-on-a-leash I'd take the hard-wired mouse.

Meanwhile, Mousy decided to go off on an adventure again. Himself is declaring it dead. Maybe. We are still going to test out the old roller-ball mouse to see if it stays operational.

Technology: Here to make your life easier.
How would I go about disabling the touchpad?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #1879
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How would I go about disabling the touchpad?
On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #1880
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
On my Toshiba laptop, I learned (horribly) that you can disable your mousepad by clicking on the white upwards pointing arrow at the bottom right corner of your screen and clicking on "Synaptics Pointing Device".

I am very happy with my mousepad. I was very uhnappy that I had to drive over to my brother's house to plug a mouse in, so I could re-enable it!
You are a Wizard!!! Thank you so much!!! So easy!