"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #1901
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love my laptop, if I want, it can go with me places. I will be taking it with me to Helena next month when I go for my 3 day class. I will need it for decompressing, not for class.

Okay, I leave on the 11th of November...so far, I have my suitcase and briefcase out and almost ready to go. I am anxious and making all my plans now. 4 nights away, it's a 2 hour drive, maps are made. I will have a passenger for the ride and it's not Shrek! I need to remember too buy a month card for my Tracphone. Think I'm getting ready too early?
Wow, you're way ahead of us. We fly to Cuba on Nov 12th and haven't done anything yet. Not even sure how we are getting to the airport.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #1902
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Wow, you're way ahead of us. We fly to Cuba on Nov 12th and haven't done anything yet. Not even sure how we are getting to the airport.
Does anyone know if there are still travel restrictions for Americans to Cuba? Time to end it if there is.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #1903
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Does anyone know if there are still travel restrictions for Americans to Cuba? Time to end it if there is.
I'm pretty sure the travel restriction is still in effect. However, there are always a couple of American's on our flights out of Toronto. We made friends with a nice couple from Rochester on our last trip back in February.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1904
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

AFAIK, yes. You can still go through Cozumel or Belize and have your passport double-stamped, a friend did this last year. Maybe the same if you fly out of Canada. The restrictions make absolutely no sense.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #1905
Sous Chef

Neither Canada or Cuba stamp passports so your trip is a non event to the U.S. authorities if you fly from here.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #1906
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
AFAIK, yes. You can still go through Cozumel or Belize and have your passport double-stamped, a friend did this last year. Maybe the same if you fly out of Canada. The restrictions make absolutely no sense.
What is double-stamped?

Many years ago I took a vacation (from Denmark) in Israel. At passport control they asked if we wanted a paper stapled into our passports for the stamp, in case we wanted to visit any Arab countries.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #1907
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What is double-stamped?

Many years ago I took a vacation (from Denmark) in Israel. At passport control they asked if we wanted a paper stapled into our passports for the stamp, in case we wanted to visit any Arab countries.
I think it's in case your passport is checked, and if you fly back into Coz or Belize. They use an ink stamper in both Coz and Belize, but as RJ stated, it's a non-event if you fly out of Canada and Cuba.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #1908
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know if this is still true, but when my mom was sailing the Caribbean, she said Americans could travel to Cuba - we just can't spend money there.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #1909
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think it's in case your passport is checked, and if you fly back into Coz or Belize. They use an ink stamper in both Coz and Belize, but as RJ stated, it's a non-event if you fly out of Canada and Cuba.
I still don't understand double stamped. Sounds like stamping it twice. I don't understand what stamping it in Coz or Belize has to do with it. Those we be stamps for leaving the country and/or coming into the country. Where does Cuba come into the picture?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #1910
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I still don't understand double stamped. Sounds like stamping it twice. I don't understand what stamping it in Coz or Belize has to do with it. Those we be stamps for leaving the country and/or coming into the country. Where does Cuba come into the picture?
I have no clue, that was the explanation I got, stamping it twice. Mexico and Belize stamp passports, Canada and Cuba don't, apparently. US may check for passport stamps.

I was really interested in visiting Cuba at one time, but it's apparently still pretty risky for US citizens, and I'm not sure I'd want to go to jail for the visit!