"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #1921
Certified Pretend Chef

In MA the age cut off is 70 YO. It's optional.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #1922
Sous Chef

I got called once for jury duty. I told them I was retired military and they couldn't scoot me out of the court house any faster. That was about 12 years ago and have never been asked since.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #1923
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Jurors names and personal info here are always kept private. Not due to ID theft, but retaliation in case of a guilty verdict.
You would think so. All the info was there, front and center. I am not a juror yet. And I'm still

Why would they say all the info is a matter of public record?

I've been summoned 5 times, most of the time I've called the number, and there were no trials that day, so I was dismissed. I did have to show up once, but since I had a friend who was a police liason who was connected to the case, I got to go home. DH has had one summons.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #1924
Certified Pretend Chef

In MA we have the option to change your date of service once. Last time I got called, I changed the date to the Friday before a holiday weekend. The judges all take off early for the holiday and you don't get called.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1925
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In MA we have the option to change your date of service once. Last time I got called, I changed the date to the Friday before a holiday weekend. The judges all take off early for the holiday and you don't get called.
We get that here too. I just don't want all my personal info broadcast across the internet, and to risk being jailed if I don't provide it.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #1926
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

What is the age cut off, Addie? Is it the same all over the country? I told DH that and he said it is not true. Neither of us has ever gone for jury duty. He got a summons once but when he called they said he did not have to go. I know people older than I am who have gone for jury duty. I am 67, they were a few years older.
I recall a very old man, deaf as a post, being chosen for jury duty. Figured him to be in his mid 70's at least.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #1927
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Lol, in my brain, the sooner the better.

I usually pack clothes the day before. I have a 5 pocket plastic organizer that I start filling before trips, this will have hotel confirmations, boarding passes, rental car confirmations, passports etc.. In the order that I will need them. This gets setup in the hallway about a month ahead and I drop stuff in it as I get it. I'll have phone numbers for my credit cards, including international if needed in case my wallet is lost or stolen. I try to cover all of the bases.....
Well, I am going to Helena...be like visiting a whole other country.

As I come across things, like my bag of room amenities, I just toss them in the suitcase so I don't have to "refind" them. Anything I buy special for the trip, like new clothes (since I don't own anything other than scrubs and t-shirts). My dress shoes will go in, once I decide if I want the flats or the slight heel.

I think I will call the hotel and ask if the have Keurigs in the rooms, if not, I will take mine. Coffee stash, of course.

Work is taking care of the hotel, etc. I just put everything on the room, unless I want to eat somewhere else, then I just keep the receipt.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who starts getting ready so early.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #1928
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Wow, you're way ahead of us. We fly to Cuba on Nov 12th and haven't done anything yet. Not even sure how we are getting to the airport.
Shrek, who never leaves the house, keeps wanting to know why I have to drive our car. The person I'm going with, the 2 hour ride would take 6 hours, if she drove. I'd like to get there in time for dinner and some good sleep.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #1929
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
What is the age cut off, Addie? Is it the same all over the country? I told DH that and he said it is not true. Neither of us has ever gone for jury duty. He got a summons once but when he called they said he did not have to go. I know people older than I am who have gone for jury duty. I am 67, they were a few years older.
Seventy. But if you can show a medical reason, you can be excused for life earlier. I was still in my early 60's when I have my first heart attack. My doctor felt it would be detrimental for me to be sitting all day in one chair. It would affect my blood flow and thus I was removed permanently from the call list. They have found also that the elderly tend to fall asleep for those little naps. That can be the cause for a mistrial.

In Massachusetts, each county has their own rules and regs. Getting unbiased jurors for the Hernandez trial is going to be a nightmare. They may have to cross county lines like the did in the Whitey Bulger trial. For that trial, because it was a Federal trial, they had jurors from all over the state. Some of the counties do not allow cameras in their courtrooms. The county I live in does. But the final decision is up to the judge. Each county has a governing body of judges that set the rules for the courts in their country. But the press and lawyers can appeal beyond them to the Massachusetts Supreme Court. After that you have to appeal through the Federal Appeals Courts. And all because the press wants into the courtrooms with cameras as will. What a lot of judges are now doing is allowing just one person from the press in the courtroom with no cameras. Including cell phones! Then they place a gag order on everyone in the courtroom including that one press person.

Someone once asked me what did $50,000 cash bail meant? exactly what it says. If you can come up with $50,000 in cash, then you can pay your bail. It has to be your money. Not that of a bail bondsman. And in this state, very rarely, and I do mean very rarely, is anyone charged with murder allowed to post bail of any kind. Bail denied!

One of the things that amuse me is on television you often see the secretary or some assistant go to one of the lawyers and approach someone past the little gate. Not allowed in any court of the country. Passing the bar is exactly that. Only those who have passed the bar are allowed pass that gate unless they are called to the stand. I once had to bring my boss some papers from the files and had to notify one of the officers of the court to let my boss know I had them and was waiting outside the courtroom. Also, anyone that is going to be testifying, cannot sit in the courtroom during the trial until called to testify.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #1930
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was once subpoenaed to testify. I had to wait outside the court room. I didn't have to testify, because I hadn't seen anything the cop hadn't seen. I was to testify to the condition of a friend after she had been punched in the mouth by her landlord. She was 70 at the time.

Since they decided they didn't need my testimony, I got to come into the courtroom. The landlord was an idiot and sounded like it. The judge ruled, "Not just guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, guilty beyond any possible doubt." The court paid my bus fare there and back. I vaguely remember being paid another ~$10, since I had to take off work.