"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #1931
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love my laptop, if I want, it can go with me places.........
Desktop units are nice if you aren't needing them anywhere but on your desk. Our old tower is now like bakechef's - it's our main station that is hooked up to the big TV in the living room.

My laptop is my travel agent. Before vacations I load up a folder of possible spots to visit. When we get to our destination we have the laptop to hook right up to their in house wireless internet, turn Squirt on, and open my homepage. Bingo, the travel planner is right there.

PF, I don't think you're getting ready too early. I have our confirmation for our timeshare week already clipped to the door from the house to the garage. It's been there for at least a week, and we don't check in until 11-8!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #1932
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Well, I've been called for jury duty again.....There was a warning that all the manditory info that we would HAVE to submit would become public record. A lot of personal information. This makes me very uncomfortable, why would they do this with so much identity theft out there?
Have you ruled out stupidity?

After all, we are talking about a government entity here....

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #1933
Executive Chef

Our little town is doing a nice thing for the residents. They have acquired some of those giant leaf bags and are giving all of us 20 free bags. The giveaway began yesterday afternoon at the local park down the street from us.

This park has one road that goes into it, snakes around and exits at the back.

So as we approach the park I can see a long line of cars. No problem, just get in line. After we sat there for almost 5 minutes with nobody moving, DH got out and looked at the cars in front of us .. nobody inside !!!

With the headrests in cars these days you can't see if a person is in the driver seat or not.

As it turns out, those 7 cars that were parked there belonged to the people who were working to distribute the leaf bags

It never occurred to them to go park in a parking spot, no way .. they lined their cars up and parked them in the entry to the park .. duh !!

But on the upside - we got free leaf collection bags and that is very cool !
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #1934
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I recall a very old man, deaf as a post, being chosen for jury duty. Figured him to be in his mid 70's at least.

According to what Andy said, the cut-off in his state is 70, but it's optional, which I think means you can refuse. I think it probably differs from state to state. When my husband was called, I searched the website looking for a reference to age requirements and found none.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #1935
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
According to what Andy said, the cut-off in his state is 70, but it's optional, which I think means you can refuse. I think it probably differs from state to state. When my husband was called, I searched the website looking for a reference to age requirements and found none.
That age rule is for MA. I don't know if it's the same anywhere else.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #1936
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I just went back and checked our county website again and it states that anyone over age 18 can be called, and there is not age limit.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #1937
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Desktop units are nice if you aren't needing them anywhere but on your desk. Our old tower is now like bakechef's - it's our main station that is hooked up to the big TV in the living room.

My laptop is my travel agent. Before vacations I load up a folder of possible spots to visit. When we get to our destination we have the laptop to hook right up to their in house wireless internet, turn Squirt on, and open my homepage. Bingo, the travel planner is right there.

PF, I don't think you're getting ready too early. I have our confirmation for our timeshare week already clipped to the door from the house to the garage. It's been there for at least a week, and we don't check in until 11-8!
We don't travel much, but I would probably take my 9" tablet if we go anywhere. It's smaller than the laptop. When I went into the hospital for emergency surgery my husband brought our laptop in so I could notify people that I was hospitalized. Since it wasn't a scheduled surgery I didn't want them to think I fell off the face of the earth.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #1938
Assistant Cook

Cuba travel answers

Here is the correct answer about laws regarding travel to Cuba. During the Bush/Reagan/Bush admins almost nobody, including Cuban Americans, could travel to Cuba without a specific license to travel from the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

President Obama has relaxed the restrictions as follows:

If you are a Cuban American, you can travel to Cuba anytime you please.

There are about a dozen categories of permissible travel for the rest of us living under U.S. jurisdiction. Some require a specific license for each trip.

The most likely way to travel to Cuba for most people is under the "People to People" provision. This requires travelers to purchase an organized trip through a service provider that is licensed by the U.S. government. Just google "Cuba travel providers" and you will find a number of companies and NGOs offering trips (flying direct from Florida, New York, and Los Angeles) However, these trips have to follow a U.S. government pre-approved agenda that does not included tourist activities (such as going to the beach).

Now, all that said, 10s of 1000s of U.S.ians travel to Cuba every year without U.S. government permission. They travel through third countries. Cuba does not stamp U.S. passports so there is no evidence that you entered the country. However, remember that on your way back into the U.S. the customs form asks what countries you have traveled to since you left the U.S. It is risky business to withhold information on a customs form.

Cuba is the ONLY place in the world you are prohibited from visiting freely. Activists of many stripes have been trying to completely lift this ban on travel to Cuba for decades. Google: LAWG (Latin American Working Group) or CAFE (Cuban Americans For Engagement)

If you are unhappy with not having the right to travel wherever you please, I suggest writing to your congressional representatives, the president and your senators. You might want to point out to them that it is discrimination to allow only one ethnic group to freely travel to Cuba and not the rest of us.

I have spent a great deal of time in Cuba and I encourage everyone to make the journey!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #1939
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We also have a rule of "one trial, one day." It is when you get assigned to a trial that goes on for more than one day that you can run into a problem. If you are chosen to serve, there is supposed to be so much time before you can be called again. But I have known some folks who served and were called again before that waiting time had expired. I forget how long it is. My sister served on two different trials within a three month period and then got called again a month after the second trial. It was for vehicular homicide. She didn't have to serve on that one when they asked her how she felt about drunk drivers. "Well, my son was killed by a drunk driver along with four other teenager friends in the car."

"You're excused." She never got called again.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1940
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Jojoe. Very informative. And welcome to DC. I hope you sitick around. This is a fun place.