Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oooh, everything about this company's way of operating is a great big outrage!
even makes MY blood boil! underhanded, sleazy, reprehensible jack__s! way to go, zhizara--give 'em heck! although, it might be a difficult task--shaming the shameless....

By the time I finished checking the new posts here, I had a reply from them and a way to cancel the renewal.

Upon thinking (I know, dangerous activity), I think they use the one hour deadline to get a response right away. It worked.

I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol

I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol

No, you weren't taught incorrectly, Skittle. That's the way I was taught, way back when. It's only been very recently that that "rule" has changed.

No, you weren't taught incorrectly, Skittle. That's the way I was taught, way back when. It's only been very recently that that "rule" has changed.

A single space has been standard since 1950 when the font is proportional. Two spaces is acceptable on a typewriter, or with a font that uses the same amount of space for a skinny letter (I) as a thicker letter (W), because all the open space makes it harder to distinguish between sentences. Hitting that space bar twice is a hard habit to break- I keep having to go back and correct it lol

Yep, Katie is right. When I took typing in junior high we were taught to always put one space after a comma and two after a period (and all end punctuation marks). :cool:

that two-space after a period rule is still a habit with me when i type. my computer "corrects" my text by adjusting the double space to single. am i anal for being mildly annoyed at that? what bothers me even more though, are all the changes in word spellings that have been made in recent years. my way of spelling many words is now considered to be an 'alternate', or worse yet, 'archaic' spelling---sheesh!!

d'ya see what i'm saying? i double-spaced after every period in my post--am doing it right now too....

Last edited:
A single space has been standard since 1950 when the font is proportional. Two spaces is acceptable on a typewriter, or with a font that uses the same amount of space for a skinny letter (I) as a thicker letter (W), because all the open space makes it harder to distinguish between sentences. Hitting that space bar twice is a hard habit to break- I keep having to go back and correct it lol

Me too. Two spaces at the end of a sentence. I never bother to correct that to one because I don't write anywhere it's a problem. I don't think most people notice.

I learned to type in 1962. I learned to put two spaces, since the typewriters at that time had fixed width font. I don't remember how long ago I switched to single space after punctuation.

I was also taught to indent paragraphs and not to leave a blank line, except for business letters. Just about all of us got used to doing that.

And Andy, if you ever do need to write something where someone cares if it is one space, you can always "search and replace" the two spaces to one. ;)

Me too. Two spaces at the end of a sentence. I never bother to correct that to one because I don't write anywhere it's a problem. I don't think most people notice.

I am just anal. Even though most people don't care one way or the other, I care. My iPhone does one space for me even though I hit the space bar twice, so that's why my posts on here are all correct lol.

Like Andy, that's the way I was taught, and I don't see any reason to change now. I don't think it's really noticeable anyway.

Like Andy, that's the way I was taught, and I don't see any reason to change now. I don't think it's really noticeable anyway.

The only reason it was brought to my attention was because of a research paper I turned in that had two spaces after the periods. Otherwise I probably could have gone the rest of my life without knowing ;)

I am just anal. Even though most people don't care one way or the other, I care. My iPhone does one space for me even though I hit the space bar twice, so that's why my posts on here are all correct lol.
When you hit the space twice, it gives you a period and a single space.

I was taught to double space too. When I hit the space bar twice, I get a double space, not a space and a period. This goes for my iThings, laptop, and PC.

Back
Top Bottom